Cricket - The Ashes Tour, 2019

Barty celebrates with Aussie cricket team after their win over England

Yan ZhuangJune 26, 2019 — 11.08am

The Australian one-day cricket team was joined by a special guest to celebrate their 64-run win over England on Wednesday (AEST).

Ash Barty with Australian one-day cricket captain Aaron Finch.

Ash Barty with Australian one-day cricket captain Aaron Finch.Andre Mauger

Tennis world No.1 and reigning French Open champion Ash Barty took a break from gearing up for her Wimbledon tilt to revisit her former sport, cheering on the Australian team in their sold-out Cricket World Cup clash at Lord’s.

Barty was invited to the players’ change room after the game, where she posed for photos with the team and captain Aaron Finch, who passed 50 for the fifth time and went on to enjoy his second century in three innings during the match.

Barty with Australian coach Justin Langer, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc and Alex Carey.

Barty with Australian coach Justin Langer, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc and Alex Carey.Andre Mauger

She was joined by her boyfriend, golfer Garry Kissick.

Largely overlooked as pre-tournament favourites, Australia’s spectacular win over the host nation has propelled them to the semi-finals with two pool games left to play.

Barty, who had a two-year stint playing cricket for Brisbane Heat, took to Twitter to thank Australian coach Justin Langer and Finch for inviting her.

View image on Twitter

View image on Twitter

Ash Barty :heavy_check_mark: @ashbar96

Unbelievable day at Lords 😍
Thank you Finchy and JL for inviting us and putting on a clinic!!
What a venue 😍😍

7:04 AM - Jun 26, 2019

Having risen to world No.1 after a victory at Birmingham over the weekend, Barty announced on Tuesday that she was withdrawing from Eastbourne International to allow a longstanding issue in her serving arm to settle down.

However, she said the injury would not hurt her chances next week when she starts her Wimbledon campaign as No.1 seed.

6 Likes

Nah. Starc’s bowling to a bloke established on 89* and comfortable at the crease. To beat a bloke for pace who’s been at the crease for 30 overs is pretty phenomenal. Dorf’s was a peach but new ball and 2nd delivery to a bloke horribly out of form.

3 Likes

It would be an extraordinary result for us to win the cup considering where we were 12 months ago, but the icing on the cake would be world #1, host-country, pre-tournament favourites bombing out before the semi-finals. Champagne comedy.

2 Likes

It just goes to show how quickly things can change with a better coaching environment

Hmmm I wonder what other sporting organisation could do with a new coach to freshen up players and results.

3 Likes

Unbelievable. Just remarkable.

England’s ineptitude has been the tournament’s saviour. Not a particularly brilliant article but I did like this bit:

“For all the fear of dead rubbers, we are instead being treated to the equally gripping spectacle of an uncrowned champion team losing their nerve, cracking and flaking a little as the endgame approaches.”

4 Likes

Thought the whole article was filled with funny bits!

8 Likes

Good, ol’ English pessimism. The long-felt mental scars of the two decades of humiliation we inflicted upon them has now become their natural state.

I’m feeling a lot more confident of that after watching the team function last night.

Being that India can’t bastardise pitches to their liking & favour, … I reckon we’re a real good chance.

Love me a nice Yorker. Was always my favorite delivery to bowl, … and there was nothing better in Cricket than when it came of just like that.

Never thought I’d be jealous of someone for living in Perth, … but the timing of games in that time zone right now, … it’s a very close run thing… :smirk:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ummm, yeah, well, … getting back 2 world class one day Batsmen back into the side all at once doesn’t hurt either.

And I reckon that’s done more for the Psyche of the team as a unit, than just the fact there’s 2 WC Bats back in to take the opening heat. Their effect has been far greater than the sum of their parts. It’s like the team feels themselves whole again, and are just really enjoying it.

2 Likes

There were a few times last night that it looked like Smith was about to say something and then thought, ‘Whoops. Not my job. Better keep it to myself.’

2 Likes

Am I right in saying their inclusion hasn’t come at the expense of someone who was tearing it up and had to make way for them. That makes a difference for team morale.

Well, I guess it’s Handscombe and Ashton Turner that have made way, but I’d defer to the boffins to endlessly debate back and forth if anyone should have their nose too out of joint, but from where I sit, it doesn’t seem to have anyone in the current squad too upset.

Makes sense to be in this website . That ball was pure cricket ■■■■.

17 Likes

Post deleted owing to pusillanimous, juvenile, Septic Tank word censorship.

1 Like

Handscomb for either Smarsh or Khawaja makes us a more balanced side.

I think Smarsh has more gears than ussie and less exploitable weaknesses, especially if he come in at 4.

And with Wades recent form in Limited Overs cricket he could replace the other. He is certainly a more versatile batsmen than either capable of playing top and middle/late.

The reason I loved watching Waqar Younis

2 Likes