David Barham - Our new Board Overlord

Typical Essendon, only hiring Essendon supporters.

Do we need to bring culture wars back into this?

Its a joke dude, the colour of their skin has absolutely nothing to do with it and is a complete non factor.

Im not particularly keen on either of the appointments based on their history, in any event.

1 Like

I assume Wills replaces Brasher. You need someone on there who’s across governance and accounting practices & process.

All good :+1:

1 Like

Tim was instrumental in development of the Hangar…….can he get some seats installed for supporters and a decent coffee shop ?

4 Likes

So where are we at now. how many board members? how many still to come? Help a guy out my brain hurts

1 Like

There are 10 board members now. They can sit in elected (up to 6) or appointed (up to 4) seats.
From what I can gather the breakdown is:
Elected
Andrew Welsh
Melissa Green
Andrew Muir
Kevin Sheedy
Dean Rioli
Tim Roberts

Appointed
Dave Barham
Dorothy Hisgrove
Kate O’Sullivan
David Wills

Andrew Muir and Andrew Welsh are both up for election.
So far we know that Barry Young and Ben Dunn are also running for those 2 spots. Nominations closed last Thursday, so we should find out across the next week who else has nominated for one of those 2 spots that are up for election.

And before anybody points out that Dean Rioli or Andrew Welsh has not yet been elected, he was appointed to Paul Brasher’s elected position and will see out Brasher’s 3 year term (end of 2024). As per the constitution: Elected Director means a Director elected under this Constitution, or appointed to fill a casual vacancy in the office of a Director elected under this Constitution

3 Likes

bloody hell i thought Ken Roberts had been appointed! that would have livened the board up !

2 Likes

We needed a Finance person with Brasher and Allen leaving, Wills is as good as you can get in that area so I like it(even though big 4 seem to be on the nose currently).

2 Likes

As is Tim Roberts ( filling Wellman’s casual vacancy) Up for election in 2023.
In reality, the Board itself has filled 6 of the 10 member Board positions by a minimum two thirds vote of the Board.
Is there a reason why you have listed Barham as appointed?

Any team have a bigger board than us?

Barham was elected in 2015, however hasn’t stood again which really confused me as I could find zero comms from the club about his term expiring or being re-appointed. Eventually I found this mention from Katie Lio that he had been placed into Lindsay Tanner’s appointed seat.

1 Like

Adelaide - 10
Brisbane - 8
Carlton - 8
Collingwood - 8 (includes CEO)
Freo - 8
Geelong - 8
Gold Coast - 9
GWS - 10
Hawthorn - 9
Melbourne - 8
North - 7
Port - 10
Richmond - 10
Saints - 10 (includes CEO)
Sydney - 11
West Coast - 8
Bulldogs - 10

1 Like

Guy on SEN just now- Paul White is also in the election

1 Like

How is Dean Rioli an Elected member?

Surely if they have identified the need to have a Indigenous representation, that Board member must be appointed.

Agreed but he was placed into Brasher’s elected position, so as far as I can tell that’s how it currently sits (happy to be corrected on any of it). Not to say the club won’t shift things around at any given point and give him one of the appointed positions.

Both Collingwood and Carlton have 8. Richmond 10 … I think we’re fully subscribed at 10 plus the CEO who doesn’t sit on the Board. Might even say we’re top heavy.

Anyway, hope Welsh wins re-election and remains. Not sure Muir has done too much wrong but tell me otherwise. Would we be any better off with Dunn returning and Young replacing the incumbents? Dont think so but who knows.

Yeah, I just edited the post as I went through and checked and added all clubs. Certainly on the higher end and the club probably doesn’t do a very good job of explaining what specific contributions people make to the board - particularly to someone like me who reads their bios and just hears ‘business, business, business’.

I hope so.

I see the expertise of an indigenous board member as important as the expertise of having a board member with Finance skills.

Perhaps 3 of the appointed board members should be 1 indigenous, 1 female, 1 finance director.

2 Likes