David Mundy

So we’ve established that mundy would be better than Myers. But is he better than Jobe or Heppell? Or Goddard?

He’d be our 4th best mid (at best), and we’d pay him 700k for four years? At the age of 29?

He’d make a difference, sure. But at the price he’s asking, he’d wanna make Goddard levels of difference, and that’s very unlikely.

Don't want. Myers has the role he would fill

Mundy is probably a bit better than Myers though.
Let's not be naive.
Mundy is A LOT better than Myers and he would improve our midfield massively.
I'm hoping this is the guy Fog was referring to when he alluded to who EFC really want.
Is he worth $3 mill for 4 years as an inside mid who is 29?

If it got us a flag would it be worth it?
You just aren't going to get a Nat Fyfe type in his mid 20's to change clubs.
The top players that are available are older, have between 1 and 3 years left, and will command a huge premium.
What we have is money and a small window given the top end of our list.
Now we can either sit around lamenting the fact that we never land a big fish, or we can moan about how old players are going to be in 4 yrs time, or we can sign the cheque and roll the dice.
I know which one of those options increases the possibility of a flag for Jobe and if it pans out that way it will be worth every cent.
Bring it on.

He is exactly what we need and that is help for Jobe and Heppell on the inside who can actually use the ball well when he gets a hold of it.
We need more players who like to live inside the contest who can feed the ball to our outside players.
He will also add MORE leadership on-field which is also exactly what we need, particularly through the middle of the ground.

So we've established that mundy would be better than Myers. But is he better than Jobe or Heppell? Or Goddard?
He'd be our 4th best mid (at best), and we'd pay him 700k for four years? At the age of 29?
He'd make a difference, sure. But at the price he's asking, he'd wanna make Goddard levels of difference, and that's very unlikely.

I think he is definately capable of proving his best footy is still ahead of him just as Goddard has.

Mundy on a Monday.

I must see things differently.

The reasons our list isn’t up to contending is because we lack an extra genuine tall forward, a genuine goal sneak, and an extra genuine outside mid.

Inside mids are second only to tall defenders as far as area’s on our list we have covered.

So we've established that mundy would be better than Myers. But is he better than Jobe or Heppell? Or Goddard?
He'd be our 4th best mid (at best), and we'd pay him 700k for four years? At the age of 29?
He'd make a difference, sure. But at the price he's asking, he'd wanna make Goddard levels of difference, and that's very unlikely.

He doesn't have to be better. 

But if he is just as good or close to (which he is) than we will be a far better side. 

We have no draft picks and nobody currently knocking on the door who is going to become a star midfielder in the next 2 or 3 years outside of Heppell and maybe Zaka . 

We have nothing to lose if we go after him. 

If he’s 27 then yes. But by time he gets to EFC, he’ll be 29 and a half. EEEK

You realise we'd have to pay him, yeah?

Chappy is taking up the spot of a youngster for not a lot of return.

I'd hate that to happen to someone else if we get Mundy. We have a lot of gun mids wanting time.

So unless we think we can win next year, then no thanks.

Don't all players get paid? even the ones who spud it up but have 'potential'. 

I think we need to see our position for what it is. 

We aren't going to start trading players, and we don't have any decent draft picks. 

That means for the next 3 years, we pretty much have the players we have, bar what we can get through free agency with which we need to attempt to get into the 8, than the top 4, then contest the flag. 

Jobe, BJ and Stanton probably have between 1 and 3 yrs left at the top of their games. 

If we have to pay Mundy 700K per year to have a genuine tilt, than that's what we need to do because the alternative is doing nothing, getting mid table picks, not moving up the ladder and not bottoming out and getting the best talent in the draft. 

The strategy is to do everything within our power to improve the list whilst Jobe and the others are on their game. 

The window is tiny as it is. 

If we do it, it is absolutely the right play. In 3 yrs time, BJ, Stants and Jobe are probably at or very close to the end. Fletch is gone. and we have all that cash lying around to build around the next tier. 

Rhino-D, I see your argument, but I don’t see it for mundy.

He’d be just another one paced mid who can find the ball and put it into a forward line that can’t kick goals. And his price tag would seriously hamper us ever being able to address the real problem.

And I guess I think we’re a lot further than Mundy away from being a flag contender.

I’m sick of this Mundy to Friday thread on this Mundy to Friday forum.

Rhino-D, I see your argument, but I don't see it for mundy.
He'd be just another one paced mid who can find the ball and put it into a forward line that can't kick goals. And his price tag would seriously hamper us ever being able to address the real problem.
And I guess I think we're a lot further than Mundy away from being a flag contender.

As do I, however he would walk into our side and be instantly ahead of every mid bar Jobe and Heppell. 

Freo are willing to give him another 2 years in a side that is a genuine premiership threat. 

He is so far ahead of what most of our mids can produce it shouldn't even be a question. 

He will cost big money, and it may not pan out in the end but what we would be paying for is a chance. 

That's all the club can do. 

When Jobe is close to the end - then I think the strategy will change but now isn't that time. 

*and again - this may all be a moot point as Mundy may not even be on our radar....

He'd be just another one paced mid who can find the ball and put it into a forward line that can't kick goals. And his price tag would seriously hamper us ever being able to address the real problem.
And I guess I think we're a lot further than Mundy away from being a flag contender.

As do I, however he would walk into our side and be instantly ahead of every mid bar Jobe and Heppell. 

Freo are willing to give him another 2 years in a side that is a genuine premiership threat. 

Shouldn't that tell you and the club something, from a guy asking for 4 years and big coins, that a team in it's prime and window, are only willing to give him 2 years ?

It's the wrong intent on so many levels that it makes it impossible for us not to be behind the scenes trying to get him.

Shouldn't that tell you and the club something, from a guy asking for 4 years and big coins, that a team in it's prime and window, are only willing to give him 2 years ?

It's the wrong intent on so many levels that it makes it impossible for us not to be behind the scenes trying to get him.

Of course there is some risk given his age - but that's not really the point. 

You must pay overs to get players across. 

That means both $$$ and length of contract. 

I'm (clearly) with the 'WSPHU' crowd. 

We've got fark all picks and zero gun mids on the horizon short term. 

Bring him in, drop one of the lesser lights and go balls to the wall to win a flag with Jobe and BJ still firing. 

I guess our interest in him will depend on what strategy the club are going to pursue, go the all in and possibly sink to the bottom of the ladder in a few years if it doesn't work and retirements hit us or hedge our bets a bit and continue to build ourselves up believing that we can still make it to the top and if we don't we won't be hit as hard by big names retiring.  

Although I do think the ASADA thing will have an impact on our ability to convince big names to consider us.

It's only going to be a bad decision if Patton/Cameron/Walker/LeBron James come on the market post 2015 and decide they want to come play CHF at Essendon but we can't shift guys to make it happen.
If he's available and we can make him fit without losing anything massive - have to have a very, very good look at it. He'd make us a better side. He's going to be better than anyone else available, even if he's not the exact prototype player we need but that prototype probably isn't knocking on the door.
Don't overthink it.

Lol @ Geldof

You need money to keep the current players too, so it’s not ‘only’ a problem when Lebron comes knocking.

Mundy isn’t worth anywhere near a contract like that, And that’s without over thinking anything. If I did overthink it, I’d probably end up saying something like ‘this would be a Carlton-like decision.’

Our premiership window is nowhere near as ‘open’ as we had hoped, and even if it was, Mundy wouldn’t do sh*t about it anyway.

If we continue to load up on mature players, we are setting ourselves up for a big fall. We need to get some midfield minutes into our younger types. Already we’ve got one of the oldest lists in the AFL, and a midfield of Watson, Heppell and Mundy would be as slow as treacle.

If we continue to load up on mature players, we are setting ourselves up for a big fall. We need to get some midfield minutes into our younger types. Already we've got one of the oldest lists in the AFL, and a midfield of Watson, Heppell and Mundy would be as slow as treacle.

You will actually find we have one of the youngest list in the AFL actually if you take out Fletch.