Dean Bailey loses battle with cancer

Named as an emergency for our 1990 Grand Final side, top bloke and I wish him all the best in this battle.   Anyone know which Hospital he's in?

Concur with posts above. Best wishes to Dean and Family.

In these matters: Once a Bomber, always a Bomber.

Dean, you are one of the good guys held in high esteem at EFC.
All the best for your fight ahead.

Guys, if you want to send Dean and his family a message, you can do so via the Adelaide Crows website. Copy this link into your browser: http://19thman.com.au/contact-19thman
Adelaide Crows will reply by saying that the email will be forwarded to Dean. Would be a great gesture for as many Blitzers as possible to give him some support.

Guys, if you want to send Dean and his family a message, you can do so via the Adelaide Crows website. Copy this link into your browser: http://19thman.com.au/contact-19thman
Adelaide Crows will reply by saying that the email will be forwarded to Dean. Would be a great gesture for as many Blitzers as possible to give him some support.

Thanks waynef!

Fight hard Dean

All the best

Thanks Wayne. Good one. 

You gotta keep fighting Deano it's the only choice.

Good luck Deano - we're with you mate.

thanks wayne, have sent a message

Sadly I'm hearing that Dean lost his battle last night.

Only 47...

My thoughts are with his loved ones.  RIP.

Hun confirms it :(

Former Melbourne coach and Adelaide assistant Dean Bailey dies after cancer battle aged 47

• by:Michelangelo Rucci
  • March 11, 201410:15AM

178305-a6aa83c4-a8a6-11e3-b49b-c914c5170

Dean Bailey has died this morning aged 47. Picture. Cross Simon Source: News Limited

CROWS senior assistant coach Dean Bailey died this morning.

Bailey, 47, was diagnosed with cancer — that filled one of his lungs — in December.

Adelaide Football Club players, coaches and staff gathered at their West Lakes headquarters at 9.30am today to learn of his death.

The news of Bailey‘s death will be met with shock and sadness around the AFL community where Bailey was admired as one of the game‘s much-loved men and sharpest tacticians.

Bailey first learned of his predicament after becoming acutely ill late last year before doctors identified his condition as a cancer in the chest area.

190949-4ba4a0a4-a8a6-11e3-b49b-c914c5170

Dean Bailey and wife Caron at the AFL Hall of Fame dinner.Source: News Limited

Despite being on indefinite leave, Adelaide‘s strategy and innovation coach continued to play a role at the club, inspiring the players with visits between treatments.

His passion and dry humour made him a popular figure around West Lakes.

Last month, after it was confirmed that Bailey had returned to hospital, Brodie Smith said the players‘ thoughts were constantly with him.

“It‘s just a sad and unfortunate event,‘‘ Smith said.

“He‘s such a great coach and such a good guy around the club.”

Some of the players and coaches shaved their heads as a token of support when Bailey was undergoing chemotherapy.

193478-42566956-a8a6-11e3-b49b-c914c5170

Dean Bailey coached Melbourne in 83 games.Source: News Limited

Bailey‘s career in AFL football began as a player in the Essendon midfield in 1986. He played 53 senior games until his retirement in 1992. He then turned to coaching with outstanding credentials as one of the game‘s deepest thinkers and calmest men in high-pressure matches.

Bailey left Essendon — where he was a development coach — to be a vital part of Port Adelaide‘s 2004 AFL premiership triumph as an assistant coach for Mark Williams. Late in the 2007 season, Bailey was appointed Melbourne‘s senior coach — a demanding job he kept for 83 games before his departure midway through the 2011 season.

Bailey returned to Adelaide in October 2011 to be the senior member of rookie coach Brenton Sanderson‘s panel at West Lakes.[

Just saw that. Shocking. I had no idea it was as advanced as that.

Condolences to his family, I always saw Dean as a lovely person.

RIP

That's sad. way too young.

RIP Dean.

R.I.P. 

Gone far too soon. Cancer, such an insidious disease. 

Far, far too young! The amount of hatred (and fear) I have for cancer is just...

RIP Dean and condolences to the family :(

:(

man, that sucks. 

RIP. 

Condolences to Dean’s family, way too young. One of the Essendon family and now he can have kick to kick with former teammate Steven Clark who also fell foul of this insidious disease.