Dempsey - Back to VFL (tick) - Back to AFL!

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2014-04-03/club-statement

Club Statement
April 3, 2014 4:55 PM

20140403_dempsey_p.png 

Essendon defender Courtenay Dempsey will not be available for senior selection until further notice after failing to meet the standards and expectations set by the playing group and football club.
As a consequence, Courtney will train with the club's VFL side until he consistently meets the professional standards required.
Courtenay is currently undergoing rehabilitation for a hamstring strain and will return to the VFL squad once fully fit.
Senior coach Mark Thompson said it was a tough but necessary course of action.
“Courtenay is a talented player and an important member of our team. We‘ll give him the necessary support required to regain the consistent standards we expect of him as a player at this football club,” Thompson said.
“We felt that Courtenay needed to understand that we can‘t accept individuals stepping outside of team protocols and requirements.”
“We sat down with Courtenay and discussed the reasons why his training standards had dropped, and as a result we agreed the best way forward for him was to go back and train with the VFL side.”
 The club will not be making any further comment on this matter.

The only thing good about that is the last sentence.

some AOD will cure what ails ya

I think there is more going on behind the scene than what we are seeing.

Indeed, I'm concerned about his welfare at the moment, club needs to be supporting him, not reprimanding. Having a very tough time ATM is Demps

Can't see why any statement was needed.

Indeed, I'm concerned about his welfare at the moment, club needs to be supporting him, not reprimanding. Having a very tough time ATM is Demps
Sounds like you have some insight into what he's going through. Whatever it is I hope he gets through it ok.

How would that do that though?

Can't see why any statement was needed.

This isnt the Paul Little thread.

Bullshit. Kinda.
By all means support him through whatever is troubling him and look after his welfare but team rules apply to absolutely everyone on the list.

That is sad to hear.... I hope the club is giving him all the support he needs. I remember during Sheeds time a few players were given special support in times of need. It worries me a bit that it is down to the 'leadership group'. Not sure they necessarily have the wisdom to deal with these issues.

Damn! Remember when he got a disciplined a couple of years back for being out on the town when he was in rehab.

From memory the only reason they found out was because he posted a pic of himself on Instagram while at the club

Getting on the ■■■■ when injured a no no, straight out banned as per rules the players abide by.

Obviously he was very disappointed to have injured himself again so close to making it back in, and went out boozing in frustration, can’t do that. Has to channel that someother way.

Getting on the ■■■■ when injured a no no, straight out banned as per rules the players abide by.
Obviously he was very disappointed to have injured himself again so close to making it back in, and went out boozing in frustration, can't do that. Has to channel that someother way.

I probably would have got very drunk to if I was Dempsey. Does not mean its ok or that the club should not have disciplined him.

Do you know that the club is not supporting him, in other ways? 

I’d hope they are.

No offense, however you pull this line out every time one of our Indigenous players does something off field or is out of form (Ryder being the big example I can think of) so I honestly have no idea if you're being protective or genuine. 

Is this actually an example of something wrong or has he just been a ■■■■■■■ idiot?  Because this isn't the first time he's neglected to use his brain. 

No offense, however you pull this line out every time one of our Indigenous players does something off field or is out of form (Ryder being the big example I can think of) so I honestly have no idea if you're being protective or genuine. 

Is this actually an example of something wrong or has he just been a ******* idiot?  Because this isn't the first time he's neglected to use his brain. 

It is possible to be protective AND genuine BTW. In fact I suspect that's what Benfti is suggesting the club should be.

Just having a guess but sounds like its having a drink whilst injured or something similiar (breaking curfew etc. &/or not turning up to a specially convened rehab session). Is the hamstring strain still legitimate? We were told at the start of the week it was a 4 week stint on the sidelines for what sounded like a 2 week injury. Or was that 'the cover story'?

He's also one my favourites, and rebounding half backs are as critical as ever in the game today. He'll be missed over the next month - which is critical to get our season on track. Crucial loss. At the start of the season, I had us as 4-2 once the siren sounds on Anzac Day evening - I hope I'm still right.

Is this actually an example of something wrong or has he just been a ******* idiot?  Because this isn't the first time he's neglected to use his brain. 

It is possible to be protective AND genuine BTW. In fact I suspect that's what Benfti is suggesting the club should be.

Fair call.  I guess I'm just a little skeptical as:

1. This line has been used many times before by Ben in regards to Indigenous players

2. If he is going through that hard a time, I find it hard to believe the club would reprimand him so severely and publicly when they could keep it in house and use the injury as an excuse.

3. He's got form in this area. 

I believe he’s going through things. I don’t believe the club is wrong to reprimand him.

Integral part of us moving forward - hope everyone involved does the right thing and we get him back asap...