#5 Devon Smith

A bit like Stringer in that he would have been worth a clear top 10 pick about 2 years ago, but has had middling seasons since. Stringer WAS an All Australian in his 3rd year, and Smith just about could have been.

In 2014 he averaged 21 possessions and 1.2 goals per game (plus nearly 5 tackles and 4 I50s). His PAV rating that year has him as more valuable than either Tippa or Fanta were for us this year.

For better or worse (probably better) I didn’t watch the Giants much back then. I know he’s had injury troubles but I’d be interested to know how much a role change has contributed to his declining output. Either way, it’s clear that he has HUGE potential to ‘step up’.

Fun excercise, compare Smith’s 2014 season to Zaharakis’ Crichton winning, 2011 season.

1 Like

This is 3 years old but still.

4 Likes

Devs going to be blown away when 40000+ essendon fans turn up to every home game.

7 Likes

Yep - in fact all 3 new guns will experience that

Smith and Saad from lifeless expansion clubs that get practically farken nobody to games

Stringer has played in finals at the G with massive crowds, but he will be rapt to see it during the H/A season which he previously wouldn’t have

1 Like

Saad: “Wow, how good is this crowd. Amazing”

Smith: “Yeah, I’ve never seen anything like it. All the cheering”

Heppell: “Well this is just training fellas, wait to we actually play a game”

42 Likes

Ironically, the biggest home-game crowds they would have played in front of at their former clubs would probably have been against Essendon.

6 Likes

New Don over knee issue, ‘ready to go’
Jennifer Phelan November 27, 2017 12:30 PM

DEVON Smith believes the knee injury that hampered his final year at Greater Western Sydney won’t affect his goal to play as a full-time midfielder at Essendon.

Smith, 24, played as a half-forward at the Giants after struggling to break into their star-studded midfield.

He believes the off-season break has allowed his right knee – which started as a torn meniscus that needed surgery back in May – to settle ahead of his planned midfield role as a Bomber.

“It’s going really well. I was advised to have eight weeks off and I had about seven-and-a-half and have been running for four weeks and it feels really good,” Smith said on Monday, as the full Bombers’ squad resumed training at Tullamarine.

“I don’t think they would have signed me up if I wasn’t ready to go and play good senior level footy.”

Smith has already admitted he could have better managed his knee in 2017, with soreness ruling him out of the Giants’ first final.

He was then overlooked for the second two, with now-retired forward Steve Johnson the preferred option.

“It was a bitter way to finish in the end, it was disappointing not to play in a prelim,” he said.

"Hindsight is a wonderful thing, isn’t it? I probably would have had two or three weeks off to really settle [the knee] down rather than keep trying to play.

"We’re competitive people, footballers, and at that time of year, you don’t really want to miss out on finals, and in the end, I did anyway.

“In hindsight, I would have taken a bit more time off.”

Smith, a foundation Giant, said he wished his former club all the best despite the way their union ended.

The small forward took part in the majority of Monday’s session, albeit with strapping on his right knee.

He did the warm up along with fellow recruits Jake Stringer and a fit-looking Adam Saad, before moving to the smaller oval with the former Western Bulldog to join the players on lighter duties.

Smith and Stringer later joined in some match simulation, before the two were tasked with running drills where the former set the pace.

Stringer does appear to be slightly slimmer this pre-season, but the speedy Smith easily accounted for him as they ran sprints on the oval’s far side.

Dyson Heppell, Michael Hurley, Joe Daniher, Tom Bellchambers, Matthew Leuenberger and Conor McKenna were part of the modified duties group, which did some light running and uncontested drills.

They were joined by Mitch Brown, Josh Green and Jackson Merrett for part of the session, while the rest of the group – led by Zach Merrett – ran match simulation.

Orazio Fantasia, who suffered a serious hamstring injury in August but got back for the Bombers’ one and only final, was among those who trained inside.

Veteran midfielder Brendon Goddard was the notable absentee, having been granted some extra time off following his involvement in the recent Virgin Australia International Rules Series.

The Bombers’ new draftees – South Australians Jordan Houlahan and Brandon Zerk-Thatcher, and West Australian Matt Guelfi – will arrive at the club later this week.

5 Likes

Phelan ya Jen.

That’s sexual harassment

Not when ur talking about the Vibe!!!

1 Like

He’s a no nonsense type of guy. I like him.

Oh…and warning to journos. Listen to the answers he gives to questions and don’t ask him again.

8 Likes

I literally lol’d at that answer

Same. About twice he sort of bit back and said “I just said that” or “I already answered that.” He talks like he plays! Good on ya Dev!

3 Likes

Looks like he’s preparing to take over the Goddard role when BJ retires.

Not so much the on-fiield role but as the player and leader who sets incredibly high standards for himself and others and drives those standards in a ruthless, almost pain-in-the-■■■■, fashion.

Think he will be very good for our midfield.

Devon ‘i’ve already answered that’ 5mith

1 Like

Whoosa: “Devon where we you on that last play that lead to their goal?”

Devon: “I like to drift forward to receive the ball”

Whoosa: “Yeah well we need you to hang back and put pressure on the ball carrier next time”

Devon: “John, are your ears painted on?! I said I like to drift forward to receive the ball !!!”

9 Likes

Slammed her, Cop that.

He probably got her number after as well.

2 Likes

Sounds like every other player went to media training, Devon just went and asked Woosha how to deal with the press.

1 Like

‘guys like dois’

he 100% attended half of the training course then went up to woosha to learn how to really do it. but he’s only started didn’t rip out any,

‘thats a good question’

1 Like

Fair to say that Devon has started his preseason very well!

Has already been accepted into the fold

2 Likes