Diets

Can I reiterate. What works for some will not work for others. Tour way of eating does not make you superior, just different

A reply to: @Reboot regarding QuoteLink

A reply to: @wannabe regarding QuoteLink
A reply to: @Your Team regarding QuoteLink
"Don't ever eat between meals except the occasional piece of fruit"

Bomberblitz has had some bullshit written on it but come on, that's pretty high level bullshit. 

The context being that they get their desired/target calorie intake from their planned main meals.

Maybe you’d like to explain the potential benefits of eating between meals?

Ummm ... because the organism is designed to be refuelled roughly every three hours?

I was the one who said to cut out eating between meals. It was in the context of a discussion about losing weight, not maintaining it, and it was also in the context of today’s society, where we eat substantial amounts for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

It comes back to calories in vs calories burned. People burn calories throughout the day at vastly different rates. The rate depends on your size, your metabolism and your level of activity and no doubt Megz could add many more factors as well. I have a slow metabolism and a sedentary job and if I consume more than about 1750 calories a day I put on weight (unless I specifically go out and do some extra exercise to compensate). For someone else it may be 1600 cals or 2000 cals or 3000 cals depending on the things I mention.

Let’s say person X’s equilibrium weight is 2000 cals per day. So if person X wants to lose weight he/she has to consume less than that (all other things being equal) – let’s say 1800 cals.

Breakfast: Bacon and eggs on buttered toast: easily 600 cals, ie a third of the daily allowance.

Lunch: tuna and Mayo sandwich: 350 cals

Dinner: 200 gram steak, 1 potato boiled, boiled beans, 2 glasses red wine, scoop of ice cream for dessert: say about 800 cals.

That’s 1750 cals. Add a cafe latte (150 cals) mid-morning and another mid-afternoon and you’re up over 2000 already, and if you have say one arnotts biscuit with each of them you are putting on weight, not taking it off.

Grazing throughout the day is fine IF the amount you graze each time is small, including the amounts at regular mealtimes. So if the family is sitting down to a steak dinner and person X is happy to have half the quantity of steak that everyone else is having, and no wine and no dessert, all well and good, and he can have the same again three hours later.

But we don’t live that way. We eat three substantial meals a day. So if you want to lose weight, cutting out food between meals is a good way to start.

Bomberblitz has had some bullshit written on it but come on, that's pretty high level bullshit. 

The context being that they get their desired/target calorie intake from their planned main meals.

Ummm ... because the organism is designed to be refuelled roughly every three hours?

Grazing throughout the day is fine IF the amount you graze each time is small, including the amounts at regular mealtimes. So if the family is sitting down to a steak dinner and person X is happy to have half the quantity of steak that everyone else is having, and no wine and no dessert, all well and good, and he can have the same again three hours later.

But we don’t live that way. We eat three substantial meals a day. So if you want to lose weight, cutting out food between meals is a good way to start.

No, you don't live that way. You eat three substantial meals a day. Your assumption will likely not hold true for the next person depending on what their lifestyle is.

Eatiing between meals is fine if you do a lot of exercise.
Or if it’s not grazing, it’s part of a controlled intake and you know how much you’re taking in
Or if you’re trying to gain weight.
Or if your meals aren’t that big to start with.
Or if everything’s healthy anyway.
Or if you’re not drinking nor having desserts.
Or if…

So many ifs.

Ok experts, is there something food wise that you can eat as much as you want and it kind of doesn’t count towards calorie intake?

Like green veggies or something for when you are really hungry but already eaten your quota.

A reply to: @Henry’s Angry Pills regarding QuoteLink

No, you don't live that way. You eat three substantial meals a day. Your assumption will likely not hold true for the next person depending on what their lifestyle is.

Eatiing between meals is fine if you do a lot of exercise.
Or if it’s not grazing, it’s part of a controlled intake and you know how much you’re taking in
Or if you’re trying to gain weight.
Or if your meals aren’t that big to start with.
Or if everything’s healthy anyway.
Or if you’re not drinking nor having desserts.
Or if…

So many ifs.

OK, I don’t live that way, and I eat three (reasonably) substantial meals a day. So does everybody I know. But yes, there are no doubt some people who have controlled intake and know exactly how much they are taking in whenever they eat a single mouthful and adjust it according to their requirements. Maybe I’ll meet one one day.

As for your other ifs.

If you look at my post you will see that I said that adding exercise to your day adds to the number of calories you can eat while still losing weight.

Certainly eat between meals if you’re trying to gain weight, but what I said was part of a discussion about how to lose weight, not gain it, as I also explained.

If your meals aren’t that big to start with? The meals I described weren’t exactly enormous.

If everything is “healthy” anyway? Not sure what that means, but certainly junk food is a great way to pile on the calories while getting no nutritional benefit. and whether it’s good food or junk food, if you have more than your body needs you will put on weight.

This seems to have developed into an ideological battle for some reason. A few pages ago in this thread people were offering tips for losing weight. I offered one that has worked for me and has some logic behind it: don’t eat between meals. It wasn’t put forward as the only way that anyone can possibly lose weight. Of course there are others, but just about all of them involve eating sensible foods in quantities that depend on the person’s level of activity during the day.

A reply to: @tinhillterror regarding QuoteLink

Ok experts, is there something food wise that you can eat as much as you want and it kind of doesn't count towards calorie intake?

Like green veggies or something for when you are really hungry but already eaten your quota.

Celery and lettuce.

Ok experts, is there something food wise that you can eat as much as you want and it kind of doesn't count towards calorie intake?

Surprise surprise … when you have eaten your quota … stop eating … simple … self control

A reply to: @Henry’s Angry Pills regarding QuoteLink

Celery and lettuce.

Green veggies (NOT avocado) don’t have many calories, so if you eat them when you’ve already reached your quota then you won’t exceed it by much. But if you add mayo orsomething to give them flavour, then you add more calories.

You can get apps that tell you the calories of food. Myfitnesspal is the one I use, but there are others.

Quoted Post

A reply to: @Henry's Angry Pills regarding QuoteLink

Celery and lettuce.

Green veggies (NOT avocado) don’t have many calories, so if you eat them when you’ve already reached your quota then you won’t exceed it by much. But if you add mayo orsomething to give them flavour, then you add more calories.

You can get apps that tell you the calories of food. Myfitnesspal is the one I use, but there are others.

agree celery, but i would rather go without a sanck than eat celery

Quoted Post

Surprise surprise … when you have eaten your quota … stop eating … simple … self control

Set the alarm for 12.01am then I guess

Quoted Post

TH, your body will adapt, and the hunger will eventually leave. But continue to put food in, no matter how few calories, and you are not solving the underlying problem, just looking for cheat around. When I was a serious gym junky and all this stuff was mega important, I actually got myself a dietitician. If you can afford it, or know one who is willing to help you, they are the best thing you can have in your corner.

Quoted Post

TH, your body will adapt, and the hunger will eventually leave. But continue to put food in, no matter how few calories, and you are not solving the underlying problem, just looking for cheat around. When I was a serious gym junky and all this stuff was mega important, I actually got myself a dietitician. If you can afford it, or know one who is willing to help you, they are the best thing you can have in your corner.
Good advice. And make sure it is a dietitian, not a nutritionist. Whilst there are good nutritionists out there, there are a hell of a lot of really bad ones too. At least dietitians have minimum qualifications, etc, that they must meet to hold the title.

Also, don’t marry a dietitian. Again, I’m sure there are good ones out there, but…

Sweet.

I’m nudging 40 and need to get in shape before I’m irreversibly cactus.

I’ll be living in Qld, so an extra hour of daylight every day, no excuses not to train.

hmm not really, being closer to the equator sorta evens out. winter more daylight that Melbs, summer less daylight.

Also we dont have daylight saving (the cows fade), so in summer you wanna get up early before work, cause we have no daylight saving for after work.

Oh well, there’s always some lipo and Botox if I get desperate

and dont forget the fake ■■■■, nothing makes your stomach look flatter than a pair of double D’s

A reply to: @Zebba regarding QuoteLink

Quoted Post

Good advice. And make sure it is a dietitian, not a nutritionist. Whilst there are good nutritionists out there, there are a hell of a lot of really bad ones too. At least dietitians have minimum qualifications, etc, that they must meet to hold the title.

Also, don’t marry a dietitian. Again, I’m sure there are good ones out there, but…

Thanks for the last bit of advice. Where were you two years ago?

I’ve been doing body weight exercises to great effect. Don’t have the time to go to the gym; so doing lots of planks (called bodyline series), squats, chin ups, hand stands and kettlebells.

Trying to reduce food intake is a bit tricky as I’m breastfeeding and I am hungry all the time.

Breastfeeding burns the kilojoules! Just don’t over compensate and the weight will drop!

Quoted Post

Breastfeeding burns the kilojoules! Just don't over compensate and the weight will drop!

Got the weight off…just lost a lot of muscle tone.