Diets

Down 12 Kgs now in 11 weeks. Nearly done. 2 kgs to reach my goal. I have definately picked up some permanent habits doing this. I think completely differently now about what I eat and how much. Also more dedicated to excercise. Started incorporating a bit of jogging into my daily 10k walk, at about 3.5 klms of running in sets of 800. Loving it.would I love to do a bike thing but there are far too many dickheads out there riding bikes and driving cars.
There is not much mutual respect out there, safer walking and jogging I think

Imo avoid running unless you have too
Brisk walk is almost as effective and 10 times easier on the joints

A reply to: @Tezza the King regarding QuoteLink

Down 12 Kgs now in 11 weeks. Nearly done. 2 kgs to reach my goal. I have definately picked up some permanent habits doing this. I think completely differently now about what I eat and how much. Also more dedicated to excercise. Started incorporating a bit of jogging into my daily 10k walk, at about 3.5 klms of running in sets of 800. Loving it.would I love to do a bike thing but there are far too many dickheads out there riding bikes and driving cars. There is not much mutual respect out there, safer walking and jogging I think

Excellent effort.

I don’t think there’s any harm at all in jogging if you have the right body for it. I’ve been jogging regularly for over 30 years, and in that time I’ve had one inflamed right achilles and one inflamed left achilles, and some sort of tendon damage to my right ankle. Each of those stopped me running for a couple of months (though I was able to walk after about a week each time). Otherwise nada, unless you count tripping and falling over twice or maybe three times (very painful and lots of missing skin). I know other people get huge problems with knees, hips and so on, but I also know plenty or very long-term runners like me. If your joints cope with it, it’s got enormous benefits. It gets you out in the open air, it’s an impact exercise and great for the bones, and it’s as good as any cardiovascular exercise there is.

I would like to see statistical data backing up the claim that running is good for your bones

It’s widely accepted that each running step imparts about 4 x your bodyweight in force through your body
If you’re a 70kg person that’s the equivalent of standing on one leg with 210kg on your back (including bodyweight in the overall sum)

As you say though, some people can get away with it for a lifetime and others can’t
Imo it comes down mostly to joint structure and the way that your ankle, knee and hip “co-operate” that determines whether you should run or not

A reply to: @Eastie_Boi regarding QuoteLink

I would like to see statistical data backing up the claim that running is good for your bones

It’s widely accepted that each running step imparts about 4 x your bodyweight in force through your body
If you’re a 70kg person that’s the equivalent of standing on one leg with 210kg on your back (including bodyweight in the overall sum)

As you say though, some people can get away with it for a lifetime and others can’t
Imo it comes down mostly to joint structure and the way that your ankle, knee and hip “co-operate” that determines whether you should run or not

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/03/07/why-high-impact-exercise-is-good-for-your-bones/?_r=0
http://health.usnews.com/health-news/blogs/on-fitness/2008/08/12/3-myths--and-1-truth--about-running-and-your-health

I did say that it depends on the person. Running has proved to be fine for me and for a number of people I know. I also know others whose bodies couldn’t take it.

What Tezza is doing is not excessive – it’s about 20-25 km a week. Most bodies ought to be able to handle that without difficulty, and the other benefits really do follow.

Only one of those links had anything more than opinion (ie the 3rd actually linked a study)
And that one WITH the study suggested the forces while running at a jog were NOT enough to promote bone density increases

Can’t edit, but here’s a study that found joint forces are 8-15 x bodyweight when running
http://lib.dr.iastate.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=3198&context=etd

This seems to be a proper review article on the topic of bone health and weight bearing exercise (including running) but I haven’t read it properly (cant find the full text only the abstract)
http://m.sph.sagepub.com/content/1/4/341.abstract.html

A reply to: @Shelton 10 regarding QuoteLink

A reply to: @Eastie_Boi regarding QuoteLink

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/03/07/why-high-impact-exercise-is-good-for-your-bones/?_r=0
http://health.usnews.com/health-news/blogs/on-fitness/2008/08/12/3-myths--and-1-truth--about-running-and-your-health

I did say that it depends on the person. Running has proved to be fine for me and for a number of people I know. I also know others whose bodies couldn’t take it.

What Tezza is doing is not excessive – it’s about 20-25 km a week. Most bodies ought to be able to handle that without difficulty, and the other benefits really do follow.

Being flat footed sucks. Struggle to run these days.

I think my gate might be off balance too. I dont walk ultra retarded like Tony Abbott, but the inside left heel only is worn on 2 pairs of runners I wear while walking.

id definately take up cycling before running if you still have weight to lose.
as it burns calories faster and is easier on the joints.

However if you are starting off small i.e jogging at intervals while walking well you will see the development and it may not be that great a strain. And is a sensbile approach. so do what works for you.
I know it takes a lot of people a while to build up the confidence to ride on the road with cars etc…maybe start with mountain bike on trails if they are nearby. or bike tracks only.

Post removed as it was in the wrong thread.

A reply to: @Houli Dooli regarding QuoteLink

id definately take up cycling before running if you still have weight to lose. as it burns calories faster and is easier on the joints.

However if you are starting off small i.e jogging at intervals while walking well you will see the development and it may not be that great a strain. And is a sensbile approach. so do what works for you.
I know it takes a lot of people a while to build up the confidence to ride on the road with cars etc…maybe start with mountain bike on trails if they are nearby. or bike tracks only.

I think you are 100% right. I should give it a go. No lycra though. never ever lycra, or silly shoes, or silly wind tunnel helmet, and I solemly swear to never wear italian racing uniform

After going in for my hernia operation and finding out I am 20kg heavier than I should be (Plus my resting heart rate after said surgery was on the higher side), my wife decided we need to lose weight again. We are opting for Light n Easy. We are doing 1200cal meal plans and having 1 night a week for a treat meal/dinner.

Exercise will consist of 30 min walks daily.

Hey SB. There is a doco called that Sugar film that you might find interesting. Good luck with it!

Thanks champ. We are only eating what we are given and drinking water (apart from 1 treat meal).

Gonna find it tough. But need to lose it. Scary when i almost hit 3 digits on the scale.

id definately take up cycling before running if you still have weight to lose. as it burns calories faster and is easier on the joints.

I think you are 100% right. I should give it a go. No lycra though. never ever lycra, or silly shoes, or silly wind tunnel helmet, and I solemly swear to never wear italian racing uniform

And for God’s sake, WEAR BRIGHT COLOURS!!! Preferably fluoro. You’ll look like a dork but you’ll be visible. Avoid black at all costs.

Oh, and get those large sized lights that flash on and off at about a million candlepower. And use them whenever it’s not bright sunshine.

And if riding on shared paths ring your bell or call out to walkers/runners before you pass them.
After going in for my hernia operation and finding out I am 20kg heavier than I should be (Plus my resting heart rate after said surgery was on the higher side), my wife decided we need to lose weight again. We are opting for Light n Easy. We are doing 1200cal meal plans and having 1 night a week for a treat meal/dinner.

How tall are you? 1200cal is frighteningly low

Good effort. It won’t be easy though. The hard part is getting used to it, and avoiding the temptation to say, Oh, one cookie can’t hurt, or one Coke. It can and it will, so be strong.

The good thing is that the longer you do it, the more you get used to it. You’ll never cease to be tempted, but you’ll get used to putting the temptation out of your mind.

1200 calories is not very many at all for a male and you should lose the weight very quickly on that regime. Especially with the extra exercise. I’m 183 cm and 78 kg and I’m on a limit of 1450 calories per day, which is supposed to make me lose half a kilo a week, but I often break the limit by 100 or so, so my weight is static. Women usually need fewer calories than men, I think (Help! Megz) because they’re usually smaller and lighter.

The good thing about Light n Easy is that I presume that they ensure you have a sufficient intake of all necessary food groups, eg., fibre, protein and so on.

How tall are you? 1200cal is frighteningly low

It’s about perfect if you are about 160cm and would like to weigh about 40kg.