Diets

After going in for my hernia operation and finding out I am 20kg heavier than I should be (Plus my resting heart rate after said surgery was on the higher side), my wife decided we need to lose weight again. We are opting for Light n Easy. We are doing 1200cal meal plans and having 1 night a week for a treat meal/dinner.

Exercise will consist of 30 min walks daily.

Good effort. It won’t be easy though. The hard part is getting used to it, and avoiding the temptation to say, Oh, one cookie can’t hurt, or one Coke. It can and it will, so be strong.

The good thing is that the longer you do it, the more you get used to it. You’ll never cease to be tempted, but you’ll get used to putting the temptation out of your mind.

1200 calories is not very many at all for a male and you should lose the weight very quickly on that regime. Especially with the extra exercise. I’m 183 cm and 78 kg and I’m on a limit of 1450 calories per day, which is supposed to make me lose half a kilo a week, but I often break the limit by 100 or so, so my weight is static. Women usually need fewer calories than men, I think (Help! Megz) because they’re usually smaller and lighter.

The good thing about Light n Easy is that I presume that they ensure you have a sufficient intake of all necessary food groups, eg., fibre, protein and so on.

Yes women need less because of a smaller muscle mass. A VLCD (Very low calorie diet) is often used early on but definitely shouldn’t be continued long term.

Just as a side. Why does everyone use calories? We live in a metric country, use the metric equivalent!

@ megz i use metric to weigh my food if that counts?

No! Kilojoules people. It’s base 10, easier to understand!

After going in for my hernia operation and finding out I am 20kg heavier than I should be (Plus my resting heart rate after said surgery was on the higher side), my wife decided we need to lose weight again. We are opting for Light n Easy. We are doing 1200cal meal plans and having 1 night a week for a treat meal/dinner.

How tall are you? 1200cal is frighteningly low

Im bout 5ft 7. The 1200 calorie is just to try and lose the weight quicker. Im on my feet all day at work so I shouldn’t have any issue losing the weight.

Light n Easy have everything portion controlled.

Today was a piece of toast and a cup of wholemeal cereal for breakfast lol

Diets like that aren’t sustainable. Yes, you’ll lose weight, but once you start eating again it’ll come back.

Last couple of months I’ve been using a health tracking app. When I started, the biggest shock that what I previously thought were okay amounts of food were actually pretty freaking large. Been gradually bringing down the calorie limit every few weeks. Currently on 2500 and never feeling hungry, but I’ve just started picking things up and putting them down again in the gym so will reassess that at the end of the month.

No! Kilojoules people. It's base 10, easier to understand!

I like calories. I’ve got to know them now.

How tall are you? 1200cal is frighteningly low

Im bout 5ft 7. The 1200 calorie is just to try and lose the weight quicker. Im on my feet all day at work so I shouldn’t have any issue losing the weight.

Light n Easy have everything portion controlled.

Today was a piece of toast and a cup of wholemeal cereal for breakfast lol

I think that’s still very low if you’re on your feet all day. If you find yourself constantly tired and lacking energy and strength it will probably be because you’re not getting enough to eat. You may need to consider switching to 1500 diet, even if your wife stays on 1200.

Damn. 1200 is a struggle.

Currently eating 2800 per day at 5’6 (7 with heels) and spend the entire day sitting! But activity levels outside work are different. Could barely live off 1200 though.

Reckon you need a ‘shock to the system’ diet to kick start you out of bad habits though, but it’s unsustainable long-term. The trick is working those good choices in with some of your ‘old favourites’ sparingly.

Must. Have. A. Cheat. Day.

Good luck silly,fellow hernia survivors have always got my support

Reckon you need a 'shock to the system' diet to kick start you out of bad habits though, but it's unsustainable long-term. The trick is working those good choices in with some of your 'old favourites' sparingly.

Dont worry Riolo, told wife that we will be having a cheat meal wether it be a takeout or dinner and movies 1 night a week. Non negotiable.

Im 93kg and dr said for my height, I should be between 70-80kg. I store my weight in my legs and waist/abdomen.

Reckon you need a 'shock to the system' diet to kick start you out of bad habits though, but it's unsustainable long-term. The trick is working those good choices in with some of your 'old favourites' sparingly.

Dont worry Riolo, told wife that we will be having a cheat meal wether it be a takeout or dinner and movies 1 night a week. Non negotiable.

Im 93kg and dr said for my height, I should be between 70-80kg. I store my weight in my legs and waist/abdomen.

If you’re a male and you’re not storing excess weight in your waist I’d tell you to go get your blood work done because you have low Testosterone levels
70-80kg is probably around right. At the higher end if you’ve got a bigger frame naturally, lower if the opposite is true
93kg isn’t too bad. That’s at the low weight range for a power lifter or weightlifter at your height lol

If you’re a male and you’re not storing excess weight in your waist I’d tell you to go get your blood work done because you have low Testosterone levels
70-80kg is probably around right. At the higher end if you’ve got a bigger frame naturally, lower if the opposite is true
93kg isn’t too bad. That’s at the low weight range for a power lifter or weightlifter at your height lol

Im not a power/weight lifter lol. Will weigh in Wednesday to see how much weight I lost.

From a health point of view waist circumference is a better indicator than weight. Aim for less than 94cm (80cm for women). Measure your waist at either the smallest point or halfway between the top of your pelvis and bottom of your ribs (can use belly button if you can't figure the other 2 out)
Damn. 1200 is a struggle.

Currently eating 2800 per day at 5’6 (7 with heels) and spend the entire day sitting! But activity levels outside work are different. Could barely live off 1200 though.

I’m on 2500 at the moment, gradually working down to 2000.

1200 would send me in to regular Michael-Douglas-in-Falling-Down moods.

80kg for that height is still pretty ■■■■■■ big. Closer to ‘obese’ than ‘normal weight’ on the standard BMI calcs.

70 is about right.

80kg @ 168cm ish isn’t too bad
Libba was 78kg @ 163cm

BMI’s aren’t great either eg the guy on the right has a BMI of 35+ which puts him at “morbidly obese” yet I’ve seen guys in the “healthy range” with 30%+ body fat
http://brandongerdes.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/dan-green-and-i.jpg

Pn: I have deliberately used fairly extreme examples, obviously SB is neither a professional footballer or power lifter. More to point out that weight in itself is merely a number and without context doesn’t mean much

As I said waist circumference is a better measure. And BMI is good when used correctly and it works for 95% of the population (most people including doctors don’t use it properly).

Also a diet that works for one person won’t work for someone else. Thats why professional help os best if you’re struggling. If it was as easy as eat less exercise more everyone would do it.

Not sure about that, Megz. For most people who are overweight it really is as simple as eat less and exercise more, but most people who are overweight don’t do it. You have to have discipline and persistence, and it takes a while. It’s a lot easier to continue to have the bucket of hot chips mid-morning and the sandwich with 350 grams of schnitzel for lunch, with a muffin. And skip the exercise today because it’s cold.

Not sure about that, Megz. For most people who are overweight it really is as simple as eat less and exercise more, but most people who are overweight don't do it. You have to have discipline and persistence, and it takes a while. It's a lot easier to continue to have the bucket of hot chips mid-morning and the sandwich with 350 grams of schnitzel for lunch, with a muffin. And skip the exercise today because it's cold.

You can lose weight with the out > in, but also end up really unhealthy doing it
Personally, I would never recommend someone to just “eat less” (kind of off topic to OP who is following something specific)
I know from both my own and others experience that I can have the same calorie intake, with roughly the same expenditure and both my weight and body composition can be completely different
I also think my energy intake now is less at 85-86kg than it was when I was trying to gain weight (and failing) back at 74-75kg, but because my diet is better my body is better using the energy I am getting