Different Strokes for Different Blokes

One thing we collectively look forward to each week was the team being announced prior to each round. Once it was announced there would be collective cheers or groans dependant on the selection of certain favourites, whipping boys or players on debut.

Selection of players like Gumby, 8===Daniher, Jetta, Baguley, Merret, Colyer, KAV, Pears, Melksham, Davey were hotly debated but it gradually dawned on those paying attention that the selection panel had a plan to develop certain players, strategically rest other, blood a few and tinker with a few battle lines.

Now we have a new head coach will we see a different policy when it comes to selection?

Will there be certain players that find themselves out of favour and not the "lock" they were in 2013?

Will fans get what they want and see Ryder rucking a full game with Bellchambers and Daniher playing as forwards for an entire match?

Will Hurley play back with Carlisle and Fletcher get the ■■■■?

Is Bomber a Hardingham fan?

Will Chappy earn his stripes or be played religiously?

What will Goddard's role be?

Will the team change randomly from week to week or will it be harder to get dropped than the Aussie cricket team under Steve Waugh?

I know the coach is only 1 bloke on the selection panel each week but he sets up the overall gameplan which will sway the other selectors so there's no underestimating his influence.

Who's stroking blokes?

Who's stroking blokes?

Depends on the blokes.

watchu talkin bout?

watchu talkin about?

*insert Tasmanian joke here*

I reckon Thompson will play Hurls back.

I think he will give an opportunity immediately to someone who stands out this preseason  (like a Browne/Kav/Colyer/Edwards etc..) to hit the ground running in the seniors at the start of the year.

I think re:selection, Thompson probably had a fairly large say in selection.

You could see from the fact that a senior appearance was usually on the back of some sustained form in the two's that Thompson brought that over from the Cats.

He did mention on SEN today the chance of Ryder going back too at times (in reference to the flexibility of our talls), so who knows.

If everyone is playing back, whose playing forward...?

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2013-11-15/hurley-likely-to-head-back

Latest Bomber TV
597164_thumb.jpg

<a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://www.essendonfc.com.au/video/2013-11-13/btv-fujitsu-general-join-the-bombers'>BTV: Fujitsu General Join the Bombers</a>

2:48pm Nov 13, 2013

597157_thumb.png

<a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://www.essendonfc.com.au/video/2013-11-13/btv-little-thompson-fujitsu-announcement'>BTV: Little, Thompson Fujitsu announcement</a>

2:16pm Nov 13, 2013

596902_thumb.jpg

<a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://www.essendonfc.com.au/video/2013-11-12/btv-meet-shaun-edwards'>BTV: Meet Shaun Edwards</a>

9:30am Nov 12, 2013

596731_thumb.jpg

<a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://www.essendonfc.com.au/video/2013-11-11/btv-preseason-training-hibberd'>BTV: Pre-season Training - Hibberd</a>

1:02pm Nov 11, 2013

Hurley likely to head back

Harry Thring November 15, 2013 9:13 AM

•  
20131115_hurley_hero.jpg

Essendon power forward Michael Hurley is set to play down back in 2014, with coach Mark Thompson describing him as a "natural defender".

Hurley has played the bulk of his 79-game career for the Bombers as a key attacking target and has booted 99 goals since making his debut in 2009.

While he's previously been trialled in defence, Thompson hinted Hurley would spend even more time in the club's backline next season.

"He's a natural defender, he's a natural competitive beast who likes the ball coming to him and can win one-on-one contests and kicks the ball well and attacks well from down back," Thompson told radio station SEN.

"I think we'll have a look at him down back. That's not to say he's not going to play forward, [but] we probably think more going towards backline."

Thompson will act as senior coach next season as James Hird serves a 12-month ban for his role in Essendon's supplement scandal.

Make sure you‘re with us as we aim to get to 60,000 members in 2014! Click HERE to join.

Hird will return to coach for season 2015, which puts Thompson in a potentially awkward position regarding the development of Hird's long-term strategy for the club.

But Thompson insisted he would coach his way and attempt to instill his own beliefs during his reign, rather than simply further Hird's plan.

"I'm going to try and demonstrate to the club things that I want to implement," he said.

"Certainly when you're senior coach compared to my other role, you probably have a bit more influence.

"I'm looking forward to that. I'm looking forward to, at the end of the year, this football club saying 'Oh, we've actually learnt a few things and this is something to take us forward with'.

As for reuniting with former Geelong star Paul Chapman, Thompson said it wasn't a difficult decision to offer the 32-year-old an AFL lifeline after he was delisted by the Cats.

Although hamstring strains kept the three-time premiership player to just eight games this year, Thompson said Chapman had another few good years of football left in him yet.

"I've tried to keep a good eye on all those boys still since I've left and he's actually played some terrific football last year," he said.

"He missed a lot of games with an injury, but it was really the only bad injury year he's had in probably 12 or 13.

"He's got a good, strong body. He's had a few tears, torn hamstrings but if we just manage him right I know he'll be OK for a couple of years."

Will fans get what they want and see Ryder rucking a full game with Bellchambers and Daniher playing as forwards for an entire match?

Really? I get the Ryder rucking thing, but personally I don't want to see Bellcho as a permanent forward. I think he's pretty good as a resting ruck, sitting his ■■■ 30m out from goal. But playing a full game as a forward requires a lot more than that, repeat leads, etc, etc. Not sure that is Bellcho's forte.

I think he will give an opportunity immediately to someone who stands out this preseason  (like a Browne/Kav/Colyer/Edwards etc..) to hit the ground running in the seniors at the start of the year.

You could see from the fact that a senior appearance was usually on the back of some sustained form in the two's that Thompson brought that over from the Cats.

He did mention on SEN today the chance of Ryder going back too at times (in reference to the flexibility of our talls), so who knows.

Thompson probably did have a fair bit of sway at the selection table already, and with the game plan in general, so maybe the changes will be slight rather than wholesale. In the article I quoted above he does say he wants to add his own stamp to the side, which indicates he didn't have the free reign some of the media critics suggested.

Either way we will have a significantly different side this year. Daniher will be a year older (so will everyone lol) and would be expected to play a lot more senior games, plus Davey and Crameri will be misisng from our forward line. Carlisle should be a bit bigger and stronger too.

You'd expect Melksham/Zaka/Heppel/Stanton/Watson to be locks in the midfield and so there could be a fair bit of pressure on Howlett and Hocking especially if Winderlich is fit. Colyer & Jetta will be snapping at their heels too along with guys like Hams, Browne & Kav who have spent most of their time in the 2's.

Who will play forward? Well it will be interesting to see if Bomber rates guys like Kommer & Merret as locks like they were last year. A forward line of Winderlich/Bellchambers/Chapman/Kommer/Daniher/Zaka could be dangerous, of course guys like Goddard/Watson/Hurley/Carlisle/Ryder/T-Bell have proven handy as well.

Someone like Dempsey could see more time in the midfield, or there could be someone mature-age that's ready to play like Kommer was last year.

I've got a feeling Bomber won't give much away in the pre-season games either.

Really? I get the Ryder rucking thing, but personally I don't want to see Bellcho as a permanent forward. I think he's pretty good as a resting ruck, sitting his ■■■ 30m out from goal. But playing a full game as a forward requires a lot more than that, repeat leads, etc, etc. Not sure that is Bellcho's forte.

Fair enough, who do fans want to see up forward? Carlisle & Daniher then?

im warming to the idea of Carlisle playing forward to be honest

im warming to the idea of Carlisle playing forward to be honest

Me to. Opposition defences can get away with playing a smaller key defender on Hurley but they would struggle to find matchups for Daniher, Carlisle and Bellchambers/Ryder. Especially with Daniher and Carlisle being more than competent when the ball hits the deck.

Every club at every level looks to their reserves side for possible inclusions in the ones. You sound like you are saying our club didn't do that before Thompson returned. There is no substance to that.

Every club at every level looks to their reserves side for possible inclusions in the ones. You sound like you are saying our club didn't do that before Thompson returned. There is no substance to that.

Fair enough.

I'm just remembering certain Geelong players having to really prove their worth with a long apprenticeship in the 2's before Thompson played them. Just thinking that it could be a genuine philosophy Thompson may have instilled in the match committee.Just a guess.

IIt is just as much about the depth of the list sometimes, as to why players just have to keep playing well in the 2's before a chance arises.

Sometimes there's just plenty of injuries, and players get a shot even with patchy 2nds form.

There are other variables, so yeah no real substance!!! :D

I think that now we have more control over our 2's the players' VFL performances will be a bit more relevant.

People listen to what winning coaches are saying, I recall Geelong & Collingwood (when they were at the top) both saying that they had a belief that any of the guys in their VFL teams would be able to slot right into their senior side (at least game plan wise). We never really had that opportunity with a VFL affiliate side. Hopefully we see the benefits of the new system this year, last year was just getting started.

I think most teams like to reward blokes who do well in the 2's but there's a lot of evidence to suggest that VFL form is irrelevant since the conditions can be so different (like the opposition), and it can be hard to stand out in a losing side.

Time will tell if the selection committee leans more towards VFL form as a guide tan previously.

I have an original idea…swap Hurley and Carslile aound!

I also expect to see Slattery come back in the side.

Thompson probably did have a fair bit of sway at the selection table already, and with the game plan in general, so maybe the changes will be slight rather than wholesale. In the article I quoted above he does say he wants to add his own stamp to the side, which indicates he didn't have the free reign some of the media critics suggested.

Either way we will have a significantly different side this year. Daniher will be a year older (so will everyone lol) and would be expected to play a lot more senior games, plus Davey and Crameri will be misisng from our forward line. Carlisle should be a bit bigger and stronger too.

You'd expect Melksham/Zaka/Heppel/Stanton/Watson to be locks in the midfield and so there could be a fair bit of pressure on Howlett and Hocking especially if Winderlich is fit. Colyer & Jetta will be snapping at their heels too along with guys like Hams, Browne & Kav who have spent most of their time in the 2's.

Who will play forward? Well it will be interesting to see if Bomber rates guys like Kommer & Merret as locks like they were last year. A forward line of Winderlich/Bellchambers/Chapman/Kommer/Daniher/Zaka could be dangerous, of course guys like Goddard/Watson/Hurley/Carlisle/Ryder/T-Bell have proven handy as well.

Someone like Dempsey could see more time in the midfield, or there could be someone mature-age that's ready to play like Kommer was last year.

I've got a feeling Bomber won't give much away in the pre-season games either.

Jetta snapping at their heels? Most unlikely. Hams need more time in the Magoos, a lot more time, to build up. 

watchu talkin about?

*insert Tasmanian joke here*
Oi

I have an original idea...swap Hurley and Carslile aound!
I also expect to see Slattery come back in the side.

I would have given him a 10year deal