Dinner

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Quoted Post
Quoted Post
I don't have pets so if any are in my backyard and fall in my spit it's not my fault!
Can you put dim sims on a spit?

They’re not marshmallows dude.

Yeah but you’ll have to make use of those cats and dogs somehiw.

lols

Quoted Post

How good are nachos? The perfect pre-12 week diet meal.

Hmm now I want nachos :slight_smile:

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Quoted Post
Quoted Post
@em2009

Off to Argo tonight. Should I pass on a message to creepy dude?

Slip him your number.

He wasn’t working. Next time.

He’s just not that into you.

His mind is clearly elsewhere. As is his left eye.

My hybrid version of Strapatsada. I basically stuck with em2009’s adjustments to the recipe but substituted some red pepper for the flesh. I may have gone a bit overboard with the chips but they were tasty.
My Aldi didn’t have Retsina so I went with their $9.99 Cab Merlot instead.
Of course I played Mikis Theodorakis’s Zorba music during preparation and consumption.
I asked my better half for her assessment when we’d finished and she said, “Where’s the Galaktoboureko?” I think that means she liked it but women are a constant source of mystery to me.

That looks great! Well done :slight_smile:

You don’t make friends with Merlot

Quoted Post

You don't make friends with Merlot

Oh dunno. You can make friends with ME with merlot.

That may or may not be a good thing in your book, of course…

Whilst I’m not a great fan of straight Merlot, I genuinely enjoy Cab Merlots and thanks to that “Sideways” movie they’re often at bargain prices. For mine that Aldi Cab Merlot is a decent drop and a bargain at $10. The Shiraz in the same label is even better.

I’ve never found a wine I’ve enjoyed at Aldi. Even their expensive (for them, it’s like $25 or $30) Shiraz tastes a bit like a $13 Shiraz.
Plenty of good cheapish wines out there, a couple of the Dan Murphys’ cleanskins go OK.

It’s a thoroughly subjective area of course but I reckon there are diamonds in amongst the Aldi dross. To my palate their $10 2013 A C Byrne McLaren Vale Shiraz is better than most of the DM wines around the $15 and more range. I repeat, to my palate, and after all, that’s what really matters.
There used to be some bargains in the DM cleanskins but frankly I’ve given up looking for them. I’ll still buy their cheapest red but only to round out the half dozen discount and then I dump it in the vege spag bol sauce. If there are good ones in there again I’d be interested to know what they are.

Quoted Post

I've never found a wine I've enjoyed at Aldi. Even their expensive (for them, it's like $25 or $30) Shiraz tastes a bit like a $13 Shiraz. Plenty of good cheapish wines out there, a couple of the Dan Murphys' cleanskins go OK.

Shingleback Davey Brothers shiraz (McLaren Vale 2012) and Partisan shiraz (SA 2011) from Dan Murph’s. Both have most of the things I like about a good red and no obvious faults. Around $15 each

Best one in that price range by far though is The Footbolt shiraz (McLaren Vale 2011). Something about that region. They manage to make some high quality red at low cost.

Quoted Post

It's a thoroughly subjective area of course but I reckon there are diamonds in amongst the Aldi dross. To my palate their $10 2013 A C Byrne McLaren Vale Shiraz is better than most of the DM wines around the $15 and more range. I repeat, to my palate, and after all, that's what really matters. There used to be some bargains in the DM cleanskins but frankly I've given up looking for them. I'll still buy their cheapest red but only to round out the half dozen discount and then I dump it in the vege spag bol sauce. If there are good ones in there again I'd be interested to know what they are.
We quite like the Barrossa Shiraz they do (I think it's $9), and one of the Cab-something blends (McLaren Vale? can't recall). They had (or have) a white blend which is decent too - Semillon Sav Blanc I think, can't remember where from. Although, should stress, for $10 bottles, don't get your hopes up too high - just think some of them are comparable to a $15 ish bottle.

Like you we normally get a half dozen, 1 nicer one, couple of old reliables around the $15-18 mark (there’s a really good Kilkanoon shiraz around there, the Langmeil Hangin’ Snakes, and one of the Yarra Valley Pinot Noirs), and a couple of cleanskins to round it out.

Will give that Aldi one a crack, can’t go too far wrong for $10.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
I've never found a wine I've enjoyed at Aldi. Even their expensive (for them, it's like $25 or $30) Shiraz tastes a bit like a $13 Shiraz. Plenty of good cheapish wines out there, a couple of the Dan Murphys' cleanskins go OK.

Shingleback Davey Brothers shiraz (McLaren Vale 2012) and Partisan shiraz (SA 2011) from Dan Murph’s. Both have most of the things I like about a good red and no obvious faults. Around $15 each

Best one in that price range by far though is The Footbolt shiraz (McLaren Vale 2011). Something about that region. They manage to make some high quality red at low cost.

So… err… What state is that region in again?

Maybe someone needs to set up wino thread but seeing as I drink with dinner I’ll continue.
Oddly enough the best place I’ve found for bargains are 2 local Richies. They mostly stock the usual suspects at inflated markups but for some reason they also regularly get in cases of lesser knowns, usually from SA.
The closest to me has recently sold out of 2013 Hazyblur Director’s Blend basket press Shiraz at 2 for $30 (they play funny buggers with the price when they first get them in and in this case listed it at $40 a bottle for a week but the moment they dropped the price they flew out the door). It’s a terrific drop and ridiculously cheap. They still have the Hazyblur Kangaroo Island basket press shiraz which is also a class above but they bumped up the price to $18 (or around $16 with the mixed six discount). Both great drops with lovely vanilla hints.
They seem to get in something discounted and new on a regular basis and while they’re not all great I’ve yet to try one that wasn’t good. It’s sort of put me off DMs where I’ve increasing felt there are plenty of options but not a lot of choice. Not sure if this Richies thing extends beyond the Peninsula or not.

Nachos

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Quoted Post

So… err… What state is that region in again?

McLaren Vale? SA.

Back to food, I’m having a crack at this tonight:

It’s on like Donkey Kong!

Now, time for a Mint Julep, swim in the pool, snooze, a few beers and then some pulled pork rolls.

2 hours smokin on hickory.

I got bored and slathered it with a honey-maple syrup-brown sugar thing. Hopefully it create a nice bark.

Little bit of bark. Not a bad effort in 6 he’s using the ‘Texas crutch’ method. Next time it’s brisket.

Obviously Sunday is roast night, even for vegetarians. It’s amazing what you can do with cottage cheese, eggs, walnuts, rolled oats and Weetbix!
Served with vegie gravy, of course.