Dinner

Yep, flathead is one of the best eating fish in oz
Definitely, that and school shark- fantastic

Used to be cheap as, well, cheap as chips! Now flathead is more expensive than most of the premium fish like Orange Roughie etc.

IMO I think Patagonian Tooth Fish is overrated, strange texture. And fresh water Barra is woeful, salt water ftw!!!

Used to be cheap as, well, cheap as chips! Now flathead is more expensive than most of the premium fish like Orange Roughie etc.

IMO I think Patagonian Tooth Fish is overrated, strange texture. And fresh water Barra is woeful, salt water ftw!!!

I don’t like fresh water fish at all. Salt water for me.

Love flathead, silver whiting , rockling, snapper etc

I don’t like fresh water fish at all. Salt water for me.

Love flathead, silver whiting , rockling, snapper etc

King George whiting in lemon caper sauce with steamed asparagus for dinner.

Hard to beat.

My F.I.L catches flathead all the time… fresh fish is amazing.

Barra is nice

Not exactly dinner but I’ve been put in charge of bringing rissoles to the Australia Day BBQ. There’s a full jar of mum’s home made tomato relish so I reckon turkey mince and sweet potato with red onion, cumin salt and pepper for the patties and dress it up with the relish.

More drinking than eating, but I did eat.

Just moved back to northcote and went to Welcome to Thornbury*, which judging by the traffic, packed bike racks and massive security presence is apparently ‘the place’ to go. Well I’ve been looking forward to it for at least 6 months and it was a bit underwhelming to say the least. On the surface it’s kind of cool, but its not. It’s more scenester than hipster, the food trucks were pretty ■■■■, similar to what you’d eat at the footy, but they had some okay beers. Duh, they had Pabst, must be hipster!

Anyway everyone looked like they were having a good time, and people dressing up to go out in northcote? WTF?

Went across the road to Thornbury# local and enjoyed a great beer with what appeared to be 3 spaniards singing some kind of folky music with castanettes and an acorodan, the food looked ■■■■■■ nice and it was super chilled.

So, if you’re coming north of the Yarra to see what all the fuss is about, go to Welcome to Thornbury*, you’ll probably enjoy it. Then when you come back next time, go to one of the non descript local haunts, then you’ll get what all the fuss is about.

• is actually in Northcote

is actually in Northcote, possibly even Croxton, but definatley not Thornbury.

■■■■■■ imposters impugning Thornbury’s good name.

Too right!!!

But Croxton, you never hear anyone from Northcote sayin ‘oh, we actually live in Croxton…’

Not like if you’re from the bottom of the hill ‘Westgarth’

But there was a T-Shirt I saw that was a ‘straight outa croxton’ rip off which was kinda cool…

■■■■■■ imposters impugning Thornbury’s good name.

One is lucky to get out of a Thornbury barber shoppe alive in my experience. Not sure what relevance that has to it’s good name.

Even vegetarians fancy a steak now and then. Cheese that is. This was seconds with the remnants of a delicious Moroccan seed salad. The wine was thirds.

Charcoal Grill on the Hill, High Street, Kew (on top of the hill, just past McDonalds).

If you’re after a solid hit of very high quality and beautifully cooked red meat, this is the place for you. Plus an outstanding wine list, although not much by the glass. The wine is pricey but good value for what it is. Steaks (300g) about $45-$50. You can also get pork fillet or chicken breast, but they’re for wimps.

HM I doubt this is helpful but I actually own that from Licorice in Claremont Quarter in WA. It’s a lolly store (I know…). I don’t spose it’s a franchise but if it is they’ll have it.

NB it’s $10 per bottle but it’s 2-3 times as big as the one on Noonan’s site above. They also have original flavour (the red one)

Anyone know where I can get this stuff without paying ~$40/bottle on ebay? It's a garbage chilli sauce, but with a bit of olive oil, lime and coriander it's a kick-■■■■ salad dressing.

Check out USA Foods in Moorabbin. They have a website.

http://www.usafoods.com.au/Mexican/Mild

Looks like they’ve got it…Cochranes Road, not far from Warrigal and South.

$2 a bottle if you get 3.

Give this a crack…

http://www.usafoods.com.au/Blairs-3-AM-Reserve

Looks dangerous.

Anyone know where I can get this stuff without paying ~$40/bottle on ebay? It's a garbage chilli sauce, but with a bit of olive oil, lime and coriander it's a kick-■■■■ salad dressing.

They’ve got the original one, but unfortunately the jalapeno flavour that I’m after is out of stock, like it seems to be in all of my other usual Australian chilli-acquiring websites.

Give this a crack…

http://www.usafoods.com.au/Blairs-3-AM-Reserve

Looks dangerous.

Blairs sauces can kiss my ■■■■ - about 12 hours AFTER I’ve had a big meal of their product.

Everything that’s bad in hot sauce making. All heat, no flavour, bottle covered in ■■■■■■■ skulls to make it look macho. Bah.

I take it your not a fan HM?

In any case, anyone who drops $75 on chilli sauce is an idiot.