Dinner

Cooking Porterhouse steak with vegies. I struggle to get it to restaurant quality with medum rare..

First things first, you need to buy good quality meat. The best I’ve found is Eye Fillet at Aldi, it’s getting expensive at $38 a kilo, but once you nail it, you’ll never buy elsewhere. but their other steaks I tried were terrible.

Cooking steaks is a science, not an art. I use a site called ‘amazing ribs.com’ to learn most stuff.

You then want to check out this video buy Heston B. Basically flip that steak every 15-20 seconds.

Cooking Porterhouse steak with vegies. I struggle to get it to restaurant quality with medum rare..

Hmmm… Some interesting advice by tinhill… Personally I dislike Hestons method. I like steak rare … This are the most important things…

1. Buy good meat. I prefer aged rump or porterhouse because they are the most used muscles and have the best flavour.
  2. Leave it out to reach room temperature
  3. Oil both sides of the meat… Not the pan
  4. Season both sides well with salt and pepper
  5. Use a good quality heavy based pan and have it very hot
  6. Cook for 3 minutes each side… This varies of course with the thickness of the meat. I like New York Cut
  7. Rest for 5 minutes

For medium rare add an extra minute per side and rest for 6

Dry aged is very very good too, probably not for everyone’s taste tho.

Grass fed usually has more flavour, but grain fed has more fat, which is tasty.

Anyone got a good sauce they put in steaks? Not sauce sauce, but like proper sauce. I put a nob of butter, dash of good olive oil and some salt on the last one and it was sublime.

Either way, once you get good at it, people really appreciate it. Cooking great chicken is the next frontier for me.

I always go Scotch Fillet or T bone at least. Rump is a bit tough & got kinda “offally” tasting over the years for moi.

Haven’t tried Hestons full method, but it made sense, so I met him half way, by doing a few quick turns to seal juices,(sides too) then finishing in the time honoured way Darli uses.

Resting is important, but less so with a nice marbled Scotch or Eye fillet, I don’t wait as long there.

Good open flame charcoal is best, but hot rock barbie suffices. I f I’m on the stove, it has to be a smoking hot cast iron pan or griddle plate.

Sauces?? A proper Garlic butter is good, but I love a Bearnaise sauce with sometimes horseradish added to it,

Pepper or Diane and such, are too strong IMO, & rob you of tasting what is , (hopefully) a wonderfully cooked medium rare piece of beef.

A sliver of pink, as the saying goes, although I like that sliver to be about a 1/3rd of the thickness … whatever that is in the rare to medium scale.

Quick fix dinner I just invented. Bahn mi inspired wrap. Left over BBQ chicken, pickled carrot, cucumber strips, coriander leaves and a mix of mayo and sriracha chilli sauce.

Not quite the same as the real thing but very tasty.

I always go Scotch Fillet or T bone at least. Rump is a bit tough & got kinda "offally" tasting over the years for moi.

Haven’t tried Hestons full method, but it made sense, so I met him half way, by doing a few quick turns to seal juices,(sides too) then finishing in the time honoured way Darli uses.

Resting is important, but less so with a nice marbled Scotch or Eye fillet, I don’t wait as long there.

Good open flame charcoal is best, but hot rock barbie suffices. I f I’m on the stove, it has to be a smoking hot cast iron pan or griddle plate.

Sauces?? A proper Garlic butter is good, but I love a Bearnaise sauce with sometimes horseradish added to it,

Pepper or Diane and such, are too strong IMO, & rob you of tasting what is , (hopefully) a wonderfully cooked medium rare piece of beef.

A sliver of pink, as the saying goes, although I like that sliver to be about a 1/3rd of the thickness … whatever that is in the rare to medium scale.

I got my Porterhouse from Aldi as my wife and I are doing most of our shop there as it is cheaper than Woolies and Coles.

Best steak I have cooked yet IMO:

• Took the steak out of the fridge, rubbed salt into it and allowed it to rest for up to 40mins.
  • Heated a fry pan up and added 2 teaspoons of olive oil.
  • Once the oil was smoking I added the two steaks and cooked it for 2mins each side (the steaks were about 200g each)
  • Allowed to rest for 10 mins

When I cut in the meat was pink and juicy… Wife gave it the thumbs up too :slight_smile:

I always go Scotch Fillet or T bone at least. Rump is a bit tough & got kinda "offally" tasting over the years for moi.

I got my Porterhouse from Aldi as my wife and I are doing most of our shop there as it is cheaper than Woolies and Coles.

Best steak I have cooked yet IMO:

• Took the steak out of the fridge, rubbed salt into it and allowed it to rest for up to 40mins.
  • Heated a fry pan up and added 2 teaspoons of olive oil.
  • Once the oil was smoking I added the two steaks and cooked it for 2mins each side (the steaks were about 200g each)
  • Allowed to rest for 10 mins

When I cut in the meat was pink and juicy… Wife gave it the thumbs up too :slight_smile:

Awesome.

If you upgrade to the eye fillet you won’t be upset.

Also, I find T-bone a tricky one to cook. 2 different cuts of meat which cook differently joined by a bone?

Either way, once you get good at it, people really appreciate it. Cooking great chicken is the next frontier for me.

You sound like one of the kfc chefs off the ads

Cure it for a couple of days first.

does this make a massive difference? i’m keen to try it out in my pizza oven with a whole fish but wasn;t sure on how necessary the curing is.

do you guys just use lemon juice and salt?

I’ve never cured meats, but I just thought you cured it and then it’s ‘cooked’ no need to use heat.

We dry cure, takes water out and intensifys the flavour, plus adds whatever flavour you out in the cure. On fish we use salt, sugar and flavourings, often dried thyme, dried lemon or lime.

Bacon is a different, it needs the nitrates from pink salt or else it’s just pork.

We also cold smoke so it needs baking after smoking.

Lo hon jai noodles tonight. Mmmmm.

I’m keen to make some smoked Labneh, which seems to just be natural yoghurt that’s strained for 2-3 days, then cold smoked in an esky.

Any got one of those ‘smoke pistol’ things you see on the cooking shows?

Lo hon jai noodles tonight. Mmmmm.

thats an interesting way to say microwaved broccoli.

I know it’s not the done thing with cooking steaks but I sometimes like to get scotch fillet cut virtually paper thin from the butcher.

Little bit of salt & oregano, brush on some olive oil with a sprig of parsley over the fire.

30 seconds each side. It absolutely melts.

First things first, you need to buy good quality meat. The best I’ve found is Eye Fillet at Aldi, it’s getting expensive at $38 a kilo, but once you nail it, you’ll never buy elsewhere. but their other steaks I tried were terrible.

Cooking steaks is a science, not an art. I use a site called ‘amazing ribs.com’ to learn most stuff.

You then want to check out this video buy Heston B. Basically flip that steak every 15-20 seconds.

Yep, Adrian Richardson (good Dons supporter too) also recommends turning it lots. Was news to me. Did them that way over the weekend, yum.

Maillard caramelisation. It does work. First learned from watching something Oliver did.

Yep, Adrian Richardson (good Dons supporter too) also recommends turning it lots. Was news to me. Did them that way over the weekend, yum.

Hes got some real good recipes, make his meat pies all the time.

Maillard caramelisation. It does work. First learned from watching something Oliver did.
That doesn't sound like a proper thing

Maillard - reaction between protein and reducing sugars
Carmelisation - purely sugars

TV chefs always get this wrong. YOu CANNOT CARMELISE MEAT. It’s one of the few things I remember from food composition lectures.

That doesn't sound like a proper thing

Maillard - reaction between protein and reducing sugars
Carmelisation - purely sugars

TV chefs always get this wrong. YOu CANNOT CARMELISE MEAT. It’s one of the few things I remember from food composition lectures.

I stand corrected then. In my own defense I’ve never set foot into a food composition lecture. I probably should have known that only sugars can caramelise though.