Disgraceful EFC - Extending pokies license to 2042

This is certainly a topic that should continue to be discussed.

Forever.

2 Likes

Is that a sarcastic ‘we’ve dragged this on too long’ or a ‘this is an important topic that has deep roots’?

He he.

Deep roots.

2 Likes

I have nothing more to say on the subject until the club makes some sort of statement, other than to say nature abhors a vacuum, as this thread has proven.

I thought nature abbors cheese.

3 Likes

Why do you hate Heppell so?

I’m sure that’s a very funny joke I’m not getting.
Probably to do with hoovering.
Although that sounds more like Carlisle…

It was a particularly average dyson joke.

• I’ll let myself out
1 Like

2 Likes

Well, I don’t know what you mean by “non-complex binary”, so I will just say that as long as it is a legal form of entertainment, and people play them of free will, then why shouldn’t we profit. We can certainly look at other revenue streams, but why cut off a great earner if you don’t have to.

I reckon it’s a little complex. There are lots of things that are legal, but dubious in moral. There are lots of things that are ‘controlled’ when they may be better off let alone. Certainly not an easy one to determine in my opinion. If it were - it wouldn’t be controversial.

There was so much opposition that every sporting club/RSL, etc,etc,etc couldn’t wit to get their hands on a pokies licence.

1 Like

there you go

1 Like

No longer in a position to know what’s happening with the pokies stuff though I trust in the direction the club has been heading on them previously - but on the sports betting stuff from the banner I will say one of the small things I’m proudest of from my time with the club is that we gave up potentially a very large amount of ongoing money on principle at a VERY tricky time to opt out of sports betting/wagering sponsorship, at a time when most clubs still had them.
Before I joined the board my brother - who’s never gambled on footy - told me a story about watching the footy with his then 12’ish year old son when the odds came up pregame. His son turned to him and commented that one of the teams was good value at the odds and that he should ‘get on’ them. My brother was staggered, and it really bothered when he relayed the story to me - as someone who grew up living and breathing footy the odds were never part of the lexicon, yet for my nephew the odds and betting markets were as much a part of the pregame as the toss of the coin. It felt really wrong to me.
That story resonated with me, and I passed it on when we as a club were discussing a new sports wagering partner in early 2015. The exec still could’ve taken an easy commercial win at a difficult time and found a wagering partner, I for one am very glad and proud we didn’t.

23 Likes

Underrated post. Hilarious call.

Sorry Paul, but I don’t get this sanctimonious bullshite. Gambling is legal and betting is part of our culture.

Next you will want to stop kids going into a “lucky dip” at the school fete.

2 Likes

No I won’t Bacchus, but I will want to stop them getting bombarded with the idea that betting on it is the best thing about sport.

7 Likes

Perhaps if we didn’t buy our kids and grand-kids iPads etc, and encouraged them to play in the mud, then this myth about betting being more fun than sport would not be an issue.

Betting is a moral issue and not the important piece of the puzzle. It is getting kids to go outside play sport, learn about teamwork and all the things playing footy teaches. Banning anything has poor outcomes.

1 Like

Well, it’s not banning anything, it’s choosing to source revenue ethically.
Nevertheless, to take your point literally, what is the poor outcome of banning football betting?

I am talking about banning kids from doing things, never ended well in my families.

Banning sports betting would be impossible.