Disgraceful EFC - Extending pokies license to 2042

I assume there are quotas on poker machines. it’s why there are licences. so someone will accept them.

I’d rather essendon have them.

it’s up to the government to limit supply or ban.

2 Likes

Drugs, alcohol, guns, cars, bushfires and wife-bashers also ruin lives; swooping magpies, snakes, red back spiders and angry Wives can ruin your day.

I care that some people have gambling addictions that cause real problems, but you cannot blame EFC for that. The Melton Club offers great support programs and does it best to care for its Members and other Patrons. I am proud of the EFC involvement in this, and I support with my money, and I get back entertainment.

1 Like

McClure has heard your plea. - Xavier Campbell interviewed.

2 Likes

I’d be against us obtaining revenue from these as well.
But, as I say, that’s moot.
I just want to hear the club’s statement on the matter.

Edit: thank you, @Eckers7
Edit: Edit: Also, fark you, Sam Maclure. Not that I’ll ever buy The Age again, but you sure make that an easy decision.

1 Like

What a mature argument. Lets equivocate everything. Because if you can’t solve all problems, then don’t bother solving any at all…
None of the people on here who are anti pokies are anti everything. Nor are we saying there aren’t other problems in society. But you do have to pick your battles. And this is one issue where Essendon can make a moral decision not to propagate a destructive influence in society.

To be honest i’d rather see pokies be less tailored to getting that ‘high’ that most chase. Just bake it dull, did you win or not thing, no flashing lights or jingles.

don’t really care if we keep them or not, like the revenue, dont play them myself.

1 Like

And as alcohol ruins many more lives than Pokies do, we should get out of that too?? Is what BF will say now, … and he will have a good point.

1 Like

Pokers machine are not immoral. Morality has nothing to do with the issue.

Those addicted to gambling is the issue, and for all your moralising, the Melton Country Club has a good problem to support those with this addiction.

All I hear from people like you is that we should ban this form of entertainment that many including me enjoy in moderation. Just like alcohol and some other things.

1 Like

Which one?

1 Like

Morality has everything to do with the issue. It’s how we justify our choices in life. Personally I
think profiting off addiction and misfortune is a lousy way to generate revenue.
People like you just like to reduce everything to solving all societies issues or none at all. And people like me are the fun hating boogeyman who want to take all your toys away.
Clearly not going to get anywhere with this debate. Your views and my own are very different

Don’t be hypocrites then fellas, go and start another thread about how disgraceful EFC is for making money out of booze.

Oh wait, we all like beer though don’t we. Never mind.

3 Likes

That clearly isnt the point. Why does it have to be all or nothing. I’m clearly opposed to alcoholism. And there needs to be programs and messaging in place to discourage problem drinking and using it to self treat serious mental health disorders.
Why does it have to be hypocritical to be opposed to an individual issue.

1 Like

This isn’t about depriving people of all of their vices. I drink occasionally and enjoy it. We will never rid the world of all harmful influences. Just like smoking still persists despite everything that we know about it…

Because the this post is about Essendon making money out of something that is addictive and can ruin lives. It’s exactly the same. They are the only 2 things the club makes revenue out of in that category. Why is everybody ok with one but not the other? It is hypocrisy. The argument isn’t about wanting to rid the world of this stuff, it’s about Essendon making money from one thing that can be detrimental but not the other. Be consistent FFS.

4 Likes

None of this would be a problem if I wasn’t addicted to the EFC.

I think my gambling losses over the years (of all forms) are about what I paid for my student 1993 20-game membership. All downhill from there.

5 Likes

Clearly getting nowhere fast here. I’m clearly not allowed to be opposed to computers that take money from people who can’t afford it… ok. And I never once said that alcohol sales was a great revenue stream either. Both are detrimental. I don’t think we’re ever going to agree on this.

1 Like

None of this was directed at you personally. I never said that you thought alcohol revenue was good.

When you go through all of our sponsors its pretty easy to make a case against a lot of them on the same flimsy moral grounds that some are using here against pokies. Almost no revenue stream can boast no possible negative impacts somewhere or to some part of society.

The EFC is a business & its decisions should be made in the best interests of making that business a success. While the pokies are legal & there is no benefits at all to exiting our licence then why would we?

4 Likes

Very true. And ultimately they are fiscally responsible to act in best interests of their stakeholders. But it does beg the question why they bothered making the statement about pursuing other revenue streams in the first place. If they had no intention of committing to such a path, then Xavier Campbell should’ve just said nothing. Or admit that their business model requires them to be involved in that industry.

I agree with your sentiment. I have no problem with us keeping the pokies, and FYI neither does the club.

However, there are levels and I disagree that the major of our sponsorship companies are a moral issue at all (even by the snowflakes) - gambling, drugs & alcohol are on a totally different level I would have thought.

The REAL issue is the ‘social agenda’ the club and the AFL as a whole pretend to subscribe too. The AFL are massive hypocrites - you could bet your bottom dollar the majority of the commission and senior executives are right-leaning, calling in liberal favor, dollar driven shrewd business types who care for non of us plebs outside of our $.

From the outside, they make the AFL look like a social agenda drive corporation which only wants the best in society and in fact try drive the agenda.

They might be good at what they do, but this corporate crap really has to stop. Very few firms actually believe what they spew out. We need to understand that and cut the cr@p.

The levels the EFC is going to justify having pokies, yet pretending to care about changing this in the future is just laughable.

You have to play the game though. The current climate nearly demands it.