Disgraceful EFC - Extending pokies license to 2042

Isn’t that Cockney rhyming slang for Joe Blake

The same one that had that rash that time.

1 Like

Made a rash decision huh?

1 Like

Absolutely farking wrong.

People may move their entertainment dollar to other existing activities but there would be little extra jobs.

Gambling is the addiction, not pokies. And many including me, see poker machines as entertainment and a game. Whether it be a single shot or an auto weapon, a bullet to the brain is usually terminal.

What are you basing this on?

The $8 million spent at the melton club employing a few barman if spent elsewhere would result in other business hiring extra staff.

It’s pretty basic economics.

Let’s be very clear. Defending pokies is defending the indefensible. Nobody cares whether you ‘enjoy a flutter’ - this actually isn’t about you.

1 Like

What an arrogant comment. Thousands of good people play pokies every day for entertainment and you are cut up by those few who have an addiction. Maybe you should go along to a pokies venue and be a counsellor and help guide all those wayward people to the good path .

5 Likes

Your response confirms that you do not get it. I’m not here to convince you otherwise.

What don’t I get, that you don’t like poker machines ?

I don’t have to defend them, they are legal and entertainment enjoyed by thousands.

2 Likes

I’d be happy for us to invest in more pokies.

3 Likes

I’d be happy if this subject didn’t keep going around in fkn circles, … it’s an endless feedback loop of the same bluddy comments repeated Ad nauseam.

I’d be happier still if Pokies had never been invented.

I can see Baccus’ point that pokies are mere entertainment. I go to the movies to watch bright lights & pretty girls, whereas some prefer to go to pokie joints.

The problem is that there doesn’t seem to be addicted consumers who are being exploited by the film companies to the point that it is causing significant social harm. This is the case with pokies and those that benefit exploit this addiction, rather than making a genuine contribution to the removal of the problem.

Given cigarette packs tell us they will kill us, why don’t poker machines have a sign on top which says for every $1 you spend you will on average only get $0.xy back? There is a culture among gamblers of only talking about their wins which creates a false impression of actual losses. Why aren’t the major players in the gambling industry forced to show comparatives of the average payback per $ versus other mainstream forms of gambling? Aren’t consumers entitled to this information?
There are much more honourable ways to make a living than feeding off addiction and EFC should pursue those other avenues.

3 Likes

I feel like the comparison between pokies and alcohol hasn’t been discussed quite enough yet…

I’ll do it one more time.

Smoking will take 40 years to get you

Drinking 20 years

Gambling a few years.

Pokies 6 months. It’s the bit people don’t get, by the time people realise they have a problem it’s too late. They’ve lost their house, their partner has left them and they stolen from their boss. It absolutely destroys families before anyone knows. Starts out as a cheeky flutter on a Friday instead of going straight home then boom life destroyed. Sure you can get help but your picking up the pieces.

Australians have been gambling on anything that moves or can be bet on for decades.
My Dad told me during the war they would bet on flies walking up a wall. Pokies are just one source there are many ways in which gamblers can win or lose money, some legal and some illegal.

2 Likes

Another interesting fact: John Wayne Gacy and bunny rabbits are both mammals.
Mammals have been around for a really long time.
I’d only leave your kid with one of them though.

3 Likes

Now, … that broke the monotony. :smirk:

I get that pokies can be a problem, but do you have any numbers to back up your strong dislike of them? Are more people harmed by pokies, or alcohol, or cigarettes or car accidents etc. etc.
If we take all the current legal things that are bad for some of the community there would not be much left.

In all of the post in this thread the point that if EFC sold the pokie licences at windy hill and Melton somebody would likely buy them (maybe not for the same venue), thus the problems would not be solved but EFC would be a lot poorer.

1 Like

From a quick google

400 sucides a year linked to gambling.

Total losses 11 billion dollars from pokies. Think about that number 11 billion dollars.

Regarding Essendon, I’m a bit on the fence. As it’s been pointed out if we sell then it doesn’t change anything in society. They are just owned by someone else.

4 Likes