Disgraceful EFC - Extending pokies license to 2042

Newsflash: Old person likes pokies

13 Likes

Itā€™s true my nan and her sister love having a play on the pokies after Thursday night dinners

Edit: Oh you were talking about bacchusfox

4 Likes

The dinner occurring at 4:30, I assume?

3 Likes

May as well get Phillip Morris on board too. Stants would know someone

1 Like

Explain how.

If we were going to base the decision on the morals surrounding gamblingā€™s effect on the community, then we should withdraw from the AFL. Gamble responsibly.

1 Like

Pokies can also be used responsibly, and a lot of people do use them responsibly.

I read an article recently, it suggested that the number of pokie players was decreasing, but the amount people were losing remained the same. It suggests theyā€™re in decline, for various reasons. Be interested to see what percentage of pokie users are problem gamblers.

Personally, I find them about as entertaining as watching paint dry, but itā€™s not for me to tell other people what they can and canā€™t do with their money. They are legal, and the club will keep them until we can find something that gives us a better return.

2 Likes

I want to top myself anytime I walk through one of those sordid grief holes.
What a world.

1 Like

Would that mean we can have a return of the hot chicks thread?

1 Like

No, i donā€™t get people that enjoy them.

1 Like

And I donā€™t get why people who have no idea just want to bag others who do enjoy them.

2 Likes

Let me spin some of your quotes for a moment.

So everyone who gambles is addicted? I would think the overwhelming majority of gamblers do it responsibly.

Does gambling lead to people going home and committing domestic violence? Does having a few spins on the pokies, as opposed to a few beers at the footy, lead to someone getting in a car driving across the road and harming people.

Based on these points, the continued sale of alcohol at our home games could easily be argued to be having a far greater impact on peopleā€™s lives than gambling. Therefore we must ensure we donā€™t make money from alcohol sales.

4 Likes

I donā€™t see any remarks that bag people out in my post.

Why are talking about gambling when I am specifically talking about Pokies?

Pokies are gambling

2 Likes

Come and work in the courts for a few years. You will see what not only alcohol does to people but gambling and drugs. In a lot of cases you generally see two of those three vices together, end result is pretty ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– . Always.

4 Likes

No kidding.

I rarely play for more than 5-10 minutes on them. Usually order a meal at the local and then go and drop some money in them while Iā€™m waiting for it to be served. I usually only frequent the pubs that sponsor my local footy or cricket team as they pump money back into the clubs and usually quite substantial. If I didnā€™t spend the money on pokies it would just go on my CrownBet account

The way we are going you wonā€™t have to worry until after 2042 :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

Fair call, i play clash of clans on my phone whilst having a dart.

1 Like

I used the words interchangeably given the same points apply. I did mention pokies in my comment.