England: Mr Bates versus the Establishment

Hate the name, but you know what the media are like.

Anyway the voting has finished the counting has started and the ealry votes (according to CNN) have Leave as winning: 53%

It’s none of my business but if it were I’d probably vote to leave. The idea of ceding control to those dandies in Brussels doesn’t impress me at all.

1 Like

Apparently polls held on the weekend in France had them at 60% in favour of also leaving the EU. This whole thing could fall to pieces and the UK may only be the first step.

Great seat by seat tracker.

Only 4% of the vote counted - this could take forever (and no Antony Green damn it!)

Apparently polls held on the weekend in France had them at 60% in favour of also leaving the EU. This whole thing could fall to pieces and the UK may only be the first step.

doubtful

This is going down to extra time. What then? Golden vote? Pick a ticket from a Bobby’s hat?

Whatever happens, I’m sure the Aus Dollar will plunge against the Euro, a week before I head that way. In 2008 the dollar went from 96 to 86 cents in the two weeks before I went to the USA, and continued to decline while I was there.

I've heard vague rumours over the years that the feeling between the French and the English is mutual, and they don't like each other.

I’m not sure how to read the results thing on the BBC site. It had Leave at about 1.35m and Remain at about 1.22m, but I suspect that’s how many more votes they need.

No…sorry…it’s just that there are so many more to declare. Leave is a bit in front at the moment.

Whatever happens, I'm sure the Aus Dollar will plunge against the Euro, a week before I head that way. In 2008 the dollar went from 96 to 86 cents in the two weeks before I went to the USA, and continued to decline while I was there.

Make sure you transfer some money into EURO now, so you are at least hedging the chance of aus dollar dropping in exchange rates.

It’s seriously embarrassing how news is being reported based on betting odds.

You know that’s not a prediction but rather a commercial body ensuring they make the most money, right?

Remain is now 50,000 in front at 50.7%

50.4% to 49.6% with 20.9% of the vote counted. This is going to the wire folks.

Meanwhile, at Referendum Count Headquarters, doors start to look like Hitler…

76,000 in favour of Leave.

100% in favour of chaos.

On current tallies, England voting to leave. Scotland voting to remain. Wonder if the Scots would like their UK secession vote back?

ABC calling it as “exit”.

On current tallies, England voting to leave. Scotland voting to remain. Wonder if the Scots would like their UK secession vote back?

Might open up a new vote on that.

Is it time to buy gold?? Is this the collapse now?

Is it time to buy gold?? Is this the collapse now?

It will be interesting to see how the market views this over the next few days if the Leave side wins. It will take a while to untangle from the EU though.