Do some magicians really practice MAGIC?

I am sometimes gob smacked by the likes of Dynamo and David Blaine.

Guys like these have taken magic to a whole different level. I'm not saying there haven't been guys like these around for ages., I guess I'm just taking more notice now. As a kid I owned those magic tricks you could buy in a magic shop. And I guess, from that experience, my perception of magic was that everything was either slight of hand or fake props.

But I would be interested in knowing how some of the magic performed by Dynamo and Blaine are done, I really would. 

I'm beginning to believe that some of these magicians really do have knowledge about how to do things that the average person in the street doesn't have.

The TouTube below has no audio but basically Dynamo is in India at some sort of festival of light. People would light candles and float them on the river. Dynamo goes to the river the day after when most of the people had gone and there were just a couple of dozen sitting around on the river bank. The rest you can see. You start to think you are watching someone with powers beyond the normal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu6Tw7hd8N8

That's not magic.

Michael long in the 1993 Preliminary Final is magic.

That's not magic.

Michael long in the 1993 Preliminary Final is magic.

Preliminary final? What was wrong with him in the Grand Final? That was magic!

But get back to the thread. Allow your mind to think outside of the square cardboard box it has been put in by the system that has lied to you all your life.

Worked in theatre for years, helped quite a few magicians setup. The level of planning that goes into these tricks is amazing.

TV magicians get the added benefits of edits, planted 'public', scene setup and special effects.

Been watching a lot of Penn and Tellers 'Fool Us' lately, great show.

http://youtu.be/YjiTAkKhG28

"I can make a bell ring in your tummy"

Pretty obvious that some of those magicians are manifestations of the Antichrist. Bible prophecy tells us so.

Pretty obvious that some of those magicians are manifestations of the Antichrist. Bible prophecy tells us so.

Don't get me started on ventriloquists.

OK. I am a huge magic fan as well but Dynamo has got to the point where he trying to be too 'big' and he has almost become a caricature of himself.

The bus stunt he pulled last year was just plane stupid.

The above clip is all editing. Shots from the previous night of wonder, inter cut with some really bad acting and cheap effects.

I could shoot that with you in it if you wanted.

His early stuff is great. This stuff, not so.

That penn and Teller stuff is awesome. Great show with some beautifully executed magic.

You can also you tube 'how does dynamo do..." and get some answers.

No.

I watched a 40 minute interview of Dynamo.

He seemed like a great bloke. Like great.

There's no "magic".  It's all props, and controlled theatre.

As Incoming! says, the level of planning is amazing.  I once shared a house with a magician, and the tricks he would do would blow you away.  He showed me some of his secrets and he is one cunning devil..!   lol

OK. I am a huge magic fan as well but Dynamo has got to the point where he trying to be too 'big' and he has almost become a caricature of himself.

The bus stunt he pulled last year was just plane stupid.

The above clip is all editing. Shots from the previous night of wonder, inter cut with some really bad acting and cheap effects. I could shoot that with you in it if you wanted.

His early stuff is great. This stuff, not so.

That penn and Teller stuff is awesome. Great show with some beautifully executed magic.

Let's focus on the highlighted bit above. Yes, when I watch Dynamo, that is usually my first reaction. That is, it's all set up and acted, just like a movie. But really, is that all it is? I'm not so sure now. I've seen enough of this stuff to conclude that it is not all set up and acted. And if that is the case how do we explain some of this stuff? I watched that Nicholas Cage movie the other night "Next" and something in the opening narrative was interesting, where he says most of the magic acts are just tricks but occasionally some magicians really can do stuff that is seemingly magic. Interesting. 

"most of the magic acts are just tricks but occasionally some magicians really can do stuff that is seemingly magic."

Exactly.  That's the whole point to it.

Dynamo.

100 feet of crap.

Then the next closest magician which would probably be David Blaine/Criss Angel/etc.

There's no "magic".  It's all props, and controlled theatre.

As Incoming! says, the level of planning is amazing.  I once shared a house with a magician, and the tricks he would do would blow you away.  He showed me some of his secrets and he is one cunning devil..!   lol

Depends on your definition of magic I guess. Yes I agree some of these guys are just brilliantly cunning. But some of the things they do are impossible or at least seem impossible because of our limitations in the way we understand what is possible. What I'm saying is the trick might be that they know stuff that we do not know about what is possible. 

This is an interesting series of videos. Explain some of these tricks please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mI7uHI1x09A

Don't believe the propaganda and mystery they create.  It's part of the act.  Focus purely on the stunt itself.  

Why are they wearing baggy clothing?  

Has the trick already half been done before they approach the audience?

Misdirection plays a huge part also.  

Inspection of props never involves a close examination.  The props they use are specially designed and look authentic. 

Never rely on video footage as proof.  Far too easily faked.

The real art of magicianship is to leave the audience perplexed.  The more WTF factor left the better. 

The average punter is led to believe it's "magic" because they don't know how the trick is performed.  It's part of the fun. 

If one cannot work out how the magician performed his trick, that doesnt mean it was supernatural.

Here is an example of that logic..... Essendon cannot prove that they didn't take banned drugs, therefore they must have.

So he didn't really put a spike through his hand?

He didn't put a sword through his body? 

He didn't pull a scarf through the screen of a mobile phone?

That credit card wasn't really flying and floating all over the place?

And so on and so on and so on

Explain the tricks please. That's all I want. No generalisations.

Here is one I have seen that I wouldn't mind someone explaining. The magician gets someone to take a money note out of their pocket and sign it. Then they hand it to the magician. He then makes it disappear as magicians do.  :P  But then he asks the person to pick a piece of fruit, any piece of his choice, out of the bowl of fruit on the kitchen bench (of the person's own house). The magician and the person are several feet away from the bench and haven't been near it during the performance. The person chooses an orange at random from the bowl. Then the magician tells the person to cut the orange half way through, then break it open with his hands. He does that and something is sticking out of the core of the orange. He takes it out and it is the signed money note.

OK the options. The whole thing is faked, acted and staged.

The other option is................ :blink:

I'm not a magician, so if I cannot explain all tricks, please forgive me, but I'll give it a go.

The spike could have retreated into the handle, not into the guys hand.  (We didnt get to see the x-ray).

I dont have the answer for the sword into the body, if it was authentic, then that's not magical, it's simply sticking a sword in.

The scarf may have gone through a specially designed working(?) mobile phone which had a tiny slit in the middle. There did appear to be a wavy crack in the middle.  (Again, it's video footage and I havent seen the phone close up).

The credit card may have a magnet in it, and the magician had a concealed magnet on the tip of his (fake) finger, similar to the fake thumbs they use to stuff long silk ribbons into, this would allow him to "flutter" it as he did.  The lady presenter may have had the same thing also.  Remember, it's and act, and the presenters are in on it.  Also, there may have been black thin nylon thread attached to the centre of the card so he could spin it on the horizontal plane as he did.  Notice how it wasnt spun in any other direction.

Hope this helps!