Dodoro on Cal Twomey's 'Road to the Draft' podcast

He spoke really well. Definitely mentioned a higher list turnover this year but that is obvious due to the retirements and players leaving. The size of the turnover will be partly determined by the new coach. With that in mind I’d be surprised to see any more delistings prior to the new coach joining and being there for a while. That said, time is moving quickly.

Was interesting Dodoro at the last second changed his mind and told them to say Zach Merretts name for pick 26. Just had an instinct he would be great. Very happy now
Adrian actually made that call himself on the night. He actually was supposed to select Lobb who went to GWS but as it came to our selection, he changed his mind and selected Zach.

Love that he went with gut instinct in that situation. Draft sanctions, Crameri gone, turmoil, picked the natural footballer. Well done.

in my mind i reckon you should always pick the most natural footballer unless drafting for a very specific need. Reckon the reason that geelong side was so good (apart from some good fortune with father son selections) was that it was just brimming with footballers and had very few if any athletes ‘athletes’.

Notes from Dodoro on Essendon

Goes for about 40 mins so a lot to cover and he goes over history of last 3-4 years and why we chose players.

Said he likes Parish but still assessing who they will pick. Mid likely.

Would ask for pick 5 if Carlisle goes to Saints. Carlisle wanted a change in environment as he was struggling

Melksham was tearful when advising he was leaving. Has a new baby and Fatherhood and Goodwin relationship tipped him to go there. He loves the club and was sad to leave

Stanton talks is on hold as he is overseas. Confident he will re sign but still a few things to sort out

Talking to Luenberger and we are competing with a few other clubs. We are keen on him. Free agent so we dont have to use a draft pick.

List is having a refresh and not a rebuild.

The challenge for Dempsey is to get fit in the off season and is likely to remain on the list. New coach to talk to him

Great work!

Was there any talk on Harley Bennell?

Goes for about 40 mins so a lot to cover and he goes over history of last 3-4 years and why we chose players.

Would ask for pick 5 if Carlisle goes to Saints. Carlisle wanted a change in environment as he was struggling

Melksham was tearful when advising he was leaving. Has a new baby and Fatherhood and Goodwin relationship tipped him to go there. He loves the club and was sad to leave

Stanton talks is on hold as he is overseas. Confident he will re sign but still a few things to sort out

Talking to Luenberger and we are competing with a few other clubs. We are keen on him. Free agent so we dont have to use a draft pick.

The challenge for Dempsey is to get fit in the off season and is likely to remain on the list. New coach to talk to him

Great work!

Was there any talk on Harley Bennell?

None.

Was interesting Dodoro at the last second changed his mind and told them to say Zach Merretts name for pick 26. Just had an instinct he would be great. Very happy now
Adrian actually made that call himself on the night. He actually was supposed to select Lobb who went to GWS but as it came to our selection, he changed his mind and selected Zach.

Love that he went with gut instinct in that situation. Draft sanctions, Crameri gone, turmoil, picked the natural footballer. Well done.

Agree. Dodoro is very very underrated. Many other clubs would love him as their list manager.

Misunderstood is more accurate. I like that he talked up Sheedy at the end of that, i had thought he had gone anti Sheeds after he left but I was wrong on that.

Goes alright does disco.

NO YOU ARE WRONG AND I AM ON THE INTERNET AND HE HAS MADE SO MANY MISTAKES AND HE HAS BEEN THERE TOO LONG AND IT’S TIME FOR A CHANGE AND CLEAR THE DECK CHAIRS AND MORE CLEAN AIR NEEDED AND COMPLETE REBUILD OF THE WHOLE CLUB FROM THE GROUND UP (NOT JUST THE PLAYING LIST) AND DID I MENTION THAT I AM ON THE INTERNET AND FULL RETARD AND SOMETHING SOMETHING SACK DODORO I CAN’T BELIEVE YOU THINK THAT YOU ARE JUST SO PLAIN WRONG [INSERT PERSONAL INSULT HERE FOR GOOD MEASURE].

Agree. Dodoro is very very underrated. Many other clubs would love him as their list manager.

Misunderstood is more accurate. I like that he talked up Sheedy at the end of that, i had thought he had gone anti Sheeds after he left but I was wrong on that.

That’s actually pretty fascinating.

Said Port were fantastic in trying to get the Ryder deal done....WTF

Dodoro should be talking up how nice all the other recruiting teams are at every opportunity. Only hurts you if you insult someone. If someone publicly says you are an ■■■■■■■■, you aren’t going to give them an easy trade. Still play hardball, but be publicly respectful.

Goes alright does disco.

NO YOU ARE WRONG AND I AM ON THE INTERNET AND HE HAS MADE SO MANY MISTAKES AND HE HAS BEEN THERE TOO LONG AND IT’S TIME FOR A CHANGE AND CLEAR THE DECK CHAIRS AND MORE CLEAN AIR NEEDED AND COMPLETE REBUILD OF THE WHOLE CLUB FROM THE GROUND UP (NOT JUST THE PLAYING LIST) AND DID I MENTION THAT I AM ON THE INTERNET AND FULL RETARD AND SOMETHING SOMETHING SACK DODORO I CAN’T BELIEVE YOU THINK THAT YOU ARE JUST SO PLAIN WRONG [INSERT PERSONAL INSULT HERE FOR GOOD MEASURE].

His first mistake was getting all the players that left.

Said Port were fantastic in trying to get the Ryder deal done....WTF

Dodoro should be talking up how nice all the other recruiting teams are at every opportunity. Only hurts you if you insult someone. If someone publicly says you are an ■■■■■■■■, you aren’t going to give them an easy trade. Still play hardball, but be publicly respectful.

Yeah, now they smile whilst they screw us!
Goes alright does disco.

His first mistake was getting all the players that left.

hahahahaha

Dodo Much maligned or mediocre or a bit of both who knows. A Recurring EFC theme! Either way the lack of drafting a midfield jet in this era of midfield jets the last 15 years when virtually every other AFL club has, is a blight on his recruiting record and EFC. Surely he must land one this year.

cough Zakery Merit cough

Dodo Much maligned or mediocre or a bit of both who knows. A Recurring EFC theme! Either way the lack of drafting a midfield jet in this era of midfield jets the last 15 years when virtually every other AFL club has, is a blight on his recruiting record and EFC. Surely he must land one this year.

cough Zakery Merit cough

Dyson Heppell says “Hi”

I think he touched on this a bit in the podcast.

His philosophy, filtered down from Sheedy, has always been to get the spine right first because that takes the most time, then find the midfielders.

IMO I don’t think any club has stuck to this sort of strategy as stringently as we have, and now with the benefit of hindsight, we can see that Essendon has been amongst the most mediocre and unsuccessful sides of the last decade.

Cause and effect? Not sure. I think as a club we have failed to fully grasp the move away from ‘superstar’ key position players, and the reliance on key position play in particular towards the midfield-driven evolution of the game that occurred in the early 2000’s.

On the plus side, he has delivered Hooker, Hurley, Judas, Tbell, Carlisle and Daniher. But on the down side, all that time spent gathering high quality tall players, only to have Gumbleton fail outright, and 2 of the others leave in their prime (3 if you count Crameri) has left us in the ■■■■■■■ ■■■■.

Absolutely no disputing that he has completely failed to put together a jet midfield, but Im less inclined to blame him in isolation given this is clearly the strategy ‘the club’ have agreed on.

I do take issue with his inability to get trades completed.

If Jake goes to the dogs for pick 11 we will have been shafted yet again.

Agree Rhino

Spot on. He is also as passionate a essendon person you would ever meet.

A great listen, but I too got a laugh out of the Sheeds school of getting the spine right when we’ve watched teams with dominant midfields and average forwards win the flag for the last decade.

Heppell? Merrett? Laverde? Did he not draft these guys?

Heppell? Merrett? Laverde? Did he not draft these guys?

Not 1 Brownlow between them…to me that means ■■■■ recruiting.

Thank you for the summary much appreciated.