Don The Stat Podcast Thread: Countdown to Round 1 - 20 Days to Go

It’s 34 days until we meet the Hawks in Round 1.

The same as the number of goals kicked by Charlie Moore, who first debuted for Essendon in 1897.

Moore played 30 games for the Dons and would later die fighting in the Boer War, the first of 14 Essendon players to lose their lives in conflict.

Lest we forget.

12 Likes

It’s 33 Days until Round 1.

Michael Long collected 33 disposals on his way to winning the Norm Smith medal in the 1993 Grand Final.

Long had 20 kicks and 13 handballs to go with his two goals (despite what Steven Silvagni says).

16 Likes

@DonTheStat your discussion on the round one team was excellent, I thought. Well done, very good listen.

6 Likes

Thanks Matt, glad you found it interesting

1 Like

It’s 32 Days until Round 1.

On his 32nd Birthday Charlie Forbes featured in the Essendon’s first ever VFL match.

Forbes has the earliest birthdate of any Essendon VFL/AFL player. He first played for the Dons in the VFA in 1889 and is an 1897 Premiership player.

13 Likes

When was his birthday?

8 May 1865.

He predates the telephone by 11 years

7 Likes

It’s 31 Days until we meet the Hawks in Round 1.

31 men have played 200 Senior VFL/AFL games for Essendon since 1897.

■■■■ Reynolds was the first to reach the milestone, back in 1945. Whilst Zach Merrett was the most recent, in 2023.

14 Likes

Not just a premiership player in '97: ‘Tracker’ Forbes was considered best on ground in all three of Essendon’s final matches that year.

3 Likes

There’ll be no episode this week due to some real-life commitments.

To make up for it, Ian’s put together a short video going over some Key Stats to watch out for in 2024. It’s on our Patreon, but its available to watch for anyone, regardless if you’re a Patron or not.

6 Likes

No need to make up for it, you blokes do a great job. Be well.

7 Likes

Thank you very much.

It’s 30 days until we meet the Hawks in Round 1.

30 points was the margin in Robert Shaw’s first win as a senior Essendon player. It was game number two for Rob (as it was for Garry Foulds), played against North Melbourne, in 1974.

Shaw played 51 games for the Dons and kicked the first of his 8 career goals that day.

A handball receive from Alan Noonan in the goal square, that he promptly launched onto Arden Street.

Following coaching stints at Fitzroy and Adelaide, Shaw returned to Windy Hill, where his work as an Assistant Coach was significant in winning the 2000 Premiership.

He’s also been a huge supporter and mentor to us here at Don The Stat.

Thanks Shawry.

12 Likes

It’s 29 days until Round 1.

29 was Scott Lucas’ career high disposal tally, achieved against West Coast in the 2002 Elimination Final.

Lucas scored 3 goals and had 21 kicks.

Don’t put your money on any of them being on his right foot.

The booming left footer finished his career in 2009, having played 270 games and kicking 471 goals. The two time Crichton Medalist was a vital member of the 2000 Premiership team.

10 Likes

What a player he was.

I admit I was waiting to read he had 29 handballs in his career, or kicked he ball on his right foot 29 times in his career :rofl:.

5 Likes

My guess is right footed kicks are in the single digits

1 Like

I’m sure Moorcroft will always be grateful for at least one of those right foot kicks.

6 Likes

It’s 28 Days until Round 1.

Essendon has won 28 VFL/AFL games in its history by 1 solitary point. 😝

Over the same time, 27 games have been lost by a single point.

What’s your most memorable 1 point Essendon win?

5 Likes

First one that comes to mind……Anzac Day 1992 vs Melbourne.
Great last quarter.

6 Likes

It’s 27 days until Round 1. The same number separates the Career Brownlow vote tallies of Tim and Jobe Watson.

Jobe collected 113 in his career whilst Tim had 86. The father/son duo played 527 games and kicked 448 goals between them for Essendon.

9 Likes