Don The Stat Podcast Thread - Preview vs Greater Western Sydney out now

Thanks for your support, glad you’re enjoying the show!

Agree, great stuff

1 Like

The fifth of our bonus episodes is out now. Ian chats with Greg Martin, father of Nic and former life-time Collingwood a supporter.

5 Likes

Great listen. Good to hear Greg say that Nic is very loyal and happy in Melbourne and isn’t seeking to go back to WA in the future, he loves the club.

5 Likes

Never considered that Martin might have been a Spanish surname.
Olé!

1 Like

We took some audience questions from Twitter on topics like Stoppage Clearances, the small forward conundrum and what stats we’re focusing on this year.

6 Likes

Our sixth bonus episode accidently got released a week early. It’s a chat with data analyst Liam Crowhurst, going over some advanced analytics of AFL data and how it can be used effectively by teams to gain an advantage in the competition.

https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podcast/don-the-stat-bonus-episode-6-advanced-analytics-with/id1620759151?i=1000599229267

7 Likes

It’s another Don The Stat Competition

Simply tip the result of every Essendon match this season. Once the season commences, you’re alive in the compeitition until you get two wrong results. Last person left alive wins a Don The Stat Hoodie

Fill out your selections in the Google form to enter. Entries are open until March 12th

1 Like

The Don The Stat boys have gone ahead and picked their sides for Round 1. You can check out what we’ve picked, as well as hear our tributes for Dyson Heppell’s six years as captain, on all good podcast services.

4 Likes

With the first practice match in the books for Season 2023, Jono and Ian are joined by Jono’s brother Andrew. Andrew is a former Essendon and Bulldogs analyst and current Gold Coast resident. Andrew was at the ground and gives us his insights into how he saw the Dons first hitout of 2023.

6 Likes

Great insights :pray::pray:

3 Likes

After a couple of days to digest the St Kilda Practice Match loss, Jono and Ian have given their thoughts and have come up with a fair few positives to take into season 2023.

6 Likes

Excellent Podcast gents. Good positivity that I really needed.

1 Like

Thanks Sam!

Great ep!

To not concede a single inside 50 from any of their kick-ins (of which they had many), is already huge improvement defensively.

3 Likes

Yeah, we were really excited when we went back and observed that. I guess the caution is that ball movement was difficult on a windy day - need to see how it holds up at Marvel or on the MCG.

Jono and Ian have put together their thoughts about where Essendon is headed in 2023 by completing a good old SWOT analysis. Hear our thoughts on Essendon’s Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats as well as some predictions for the year to come.

11 Likes

Our seventh bonus episode is out now. Ian chats with Anthony Prochilo, lifelong Bomber fan who does deep dives into the stats and what they mean. Gives a clear indication on the areas that need to be improved going in to Season 2023.

1 Like

Great podcast guys, really enjoying the content.

Interesting hearing all the stats about our woeful pressure last year. Though I would have liked to hear Anthony pressed on whether most of that was a personnel issue, rather than a game style issue.

Rutter didn’t really have anything to work with last year

I think it was a little column A, little column B. You’re right that our pressure forwards were basically non-existent from a list perspective last year, but also the confusion with the game plan meant players were split between remembering what they were supposed to do and playing on instinct, which would also have lead to pressure numbers dropping away.

1 Like