DP3 & Essendon Vs Racists - ANZAC DAY MATCH 2021 REVIEW THREAD

Ok, so a little bit of sleep, a 2nd viewing on replay and just try to wipe the smile off my face this week… What a fantastic game of footy. I think our most telling ANZAC win of the last 10-15 years. It wasn’t actually close… the Pies were kicking straight and we were missing half our defence which kept the score close… but in general play were were all over them. A very solid, comforting and ‘systematic’ win.

As I posted last week, I’m not sure if our defensive structure is right yet. We do leak goals and we are giving up big scores. However the positives are that our forward structures and midfield look much, much, much, muuuuuuuuuuuch improved.

It was also pleasing to see the comradery that many posted about during pre-season is starting to show on the field. There is a very different feel about things this season… guys getting excited after goals, gang tackles, strong communication and a real sense they ‘want’ this together. I am one who feels this can never be a bad thing… building a strong, consistently good club has to start with a strong, cohesive playing group. I think we are well on our way in this regard.

Walla was amazing with 5 goals… and slipped over less on the lush, sun soaked MCG. When he turns it on… what a special player he is. Get those feet sorted and get the hunger back and I can’t wait to see him be part of our success.

Stringer is potentially the most important player on our team… where he goes… we go. When he asserts himself, all the boys around him play taller. I don’t even care what his stats say… good things happen when he hits a purple patch and the boys seem to love him… I think we win the Hawks game easily if he played.

2MP showed the impact he can have… always was a bargain but now becomes a super bargain. Great pick up and more of that please. I think a couple of weeks in the ruck have actually helped him… got him some touches and confidence and may have taught him that his body can handle the contact… seemed far more assured in the contested situations yesterday.

Parish, Merrett, McGrath - Jets. Like A grade jets. There are more to add to this I’m sure… but these three are all legit A grade midfielders who COMPLIMENT each other. Parish loves the in and under… Merrett is just a worker and McGrath brings a touch of class to the outside with a burst of speed. Very very very exciting times ahead.

Perkins, Jones are showing signs… and plenty of willingness about them… but Cox is already making an impact… wowser we have one. Could be anything. Clean ball use, hard running, bit of spirit and the clunks… has shown everything and its still under 10 games. Will tire as the season goes on but we nailed the pick.

We are still a while away from success and there are going to be some really dark times… but I feel more optimistic than I have in any of the woosha years that we are finally on the right track. Youth being played, a system (even if not perfect you can see the actually system!!), guys being played in position… an energy out on the ground. And it is probably just my bias but they seem to actually care about the ‘jumper’… they all seem to actually want EFC to be a powerful club. Very powerful stuff.

Could easily, easily, easily be 4-2 right now… but that might have given false confidence… This season was never about the W/L ratio for me… it was about the build and right now it is going beautifully. I am very happy. Go Bombers!

45 Likes