Dr Who

It's the cool thing to do these days but I blame Moffatt. I don't think he's the right guy for running the show. As a writer he's fine, so find someone new and keep him on writing a couple of episodes a year.

It's the cool thing to do these days but I blame Moffatt. I don't think he's the right guy for running the show. As a writer he's fine, so find someone new and keep him on writing a couple of episodes a year.

He has written some great episodes, including close to my favourite but I tend to agree. However Davies was definitely tired by the end of his run and my problems with the show began then. Karen Gillan distracted my critical eye for a time.
My problem is this, and it may sound silly given the nature of the show but I don't buy the emotional drama anymore. It's a bit Star Trek: Voyager-ish.
I feel like I need to see a Blake's 7 style final scene in order to believe again.

It does need a shock. Like a companion dying. Like the ■■■■■■■ daleks being competent for once. 

■■■. You want to kill Rory. You ■■■■■■■!

Rory was possibly the best thing about the show in several episodes...

Someone needs to die, and the consequences need to stick around. It also would be handy if for once a dramatic moment isn’t punctured seconds later by the Titanic crashing into the Tardis control room.

Stunt scripting is the modern paradigm though. Apparently we can't be trusted to have an emotion without something else happening to jar us further.

Or relieve us from it with comedy.

It is about the only problem I have with Serenity, just to jump tracks from the Whoniverse to the Whedoniverse. That and a couple of dud lines for Kaylee.

It seems pretty likely Mark Gatiss is being groomed to take over next. Do not want.

They should appoint Lawrence Miles as next show runner, just for the LOLs.

Suddenly we'd be knee deep in bitterness and Faction Paradox.

Although the last thing might not be terrible...

An article by a bit of a hipster re: how much Moffat sucks.

http://m.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2013/12/the-captain-kirk-problem-how-em-doctor-who-em-betrayed-matt-smith/282690/#

The guy comes off as being a bit of a ■■■■ but it's hard to disagree with everything he says.

Here's a taste...

The writing and plotting shortcomings of Doctor Who have been so glaring for the past couple of years that the 50-year-old BBC sci-fi show‘s growing popularity in the United States (even as its ratings have sagged a bit in the U.K.) has to be attributable to something other than the stories. Most notably: the energy, charisma, and likability of the show‘s leading man. After his somewhat stretched-out three-season-plus run, Smith tends to come in second in “Favorite Doctor” polls, behind his immediate predecessor, David Tennant.

Soooo many things wrong with just that quote… the rest of the piece is an awful lot of “here‘s one sometimes-legit example; and it was the same every time, because I say so”.

The new Doctor's outfit.

Pelvis action may not be entirely accurate.

Looks alright. 

If his character is actually dozy old prick and that wasn't just regeneration disorientation then I'm going to impotently fanrage even harder.

Peter Davison on 3LO last week:

http://www.abc.net.au/local/audio/2014/01/29/3934280.htm?&section=latest&date=(none)

Is anyone going to Whoniverse as a gold or silver (with the meets and autographs)?

Considering letting Little Miss Wim go, but at $500 she needs a chaperone that is not me.

I thank the duffers who subsidise attendance for everyone else.

http://riaus.org.au/doctorwho/

Nerds!