Draft Strategy

Now that it’s confirmed that we will be getting pick 1 what is Essendon’s strategy for the draft

I feel a couple injuries to some talls and we are in trouble, therefore at least 2 should be considered as Mitch Brown is the only real depth.

This is assuming all picks are kept of course and that the likes of Gwilt and Mckernan don’t receive new contracts.

Pick 1: Best available

Pick 19: Tall/ anybody who falls out from the first round

Pick 25?(Melbourne Trade): Inside Mid?

Pick 37: Ruckman (in case of injuries to Bell and Luey)

Pick 55: ?

I wanted to make this closer to draft day but there is plenty of threads about trades and delistings etc

Personally i hope pick 37 and whatever we get for PIG is packaged up to move up into the first round. But at the same time i can see jackets being content with the current options as Jaeger is a real possibility.

Honestly i haven’t been paying much attention to Phantom drafts this year so who do you hope we get?

Would love to read of GC’s response to an offer of Pick 19, Jerrett and Dempsey for O’Meara and Prestia.

It’s hard to know what the list needs as they haven’t all played together for 12 months.

We should take the best players each time.

I’m ok with stocking up the midfield (McCluggage, an inside midfielder, maybe another half back flanker, possibly a small forward) We went after KPP players in the last draft with Francis, Brown and Hartley so I don’t think KP players are a complete necessity.

The emergence of Brown and Hartley as legitimate AFL level KPDs makes life a lot easier. Medium defenders are looking good. Small defenders could use some work, but a rookie pick should cover that.

We need to focus on our midfield and forward line. A tall forward would be nice, but not immediately needed. I’m thinking mid size elite players will have the biggest impact on the club.

One thing is we don’t have to upgrade tippa with a pick it changed so we just nominate prior to the draft

One thing is we don't have to upgrade tippa with a pick it changed so we just nominate prior to the draft

Excellent news. With Fantasia, Gleeson and Hooker being drafted around that position there could be some real quality remaining

So that leaves 5 picks with a rookie or two

However if Matty Dea and Kelly are both picked up it will make for some interesting delistings soon

So we have 1,19,26 (Hibberd),37

Any chance we could upgrade 37 to a mid/late 2nd round?

So we have 1,19,26 (Hibberd),37

Any chance we could upgrade 37 to a mid/late 2nd round?

This is what I’m hoping happens NBA style trading

Trade Hibberd and 37 for Melbourne’s 2nd rounder this and next year.

then trade 19 and Melbourne’s pick to move up in the draft. (Sydney, GWS or GC could bite for academy bids)

Use Melbourne’s 2nd next year to sweeten any deals or just keep for the next draft.

still leaves 55 to take a punt on someone

Pick 1: Best Available

Pick 18: Best Available

Pick 26: Best Available

Pick 37: Best Available

I’ll get my jacket

I’m just impressed that we are getting pick#18.

I'm just impressed that we are getting pick#18.

pick 19 for jom and pick 18.

Best available with early pics and then

Pick 1: Best Available

Pick 18: Best Available

Pick 26: Best Available

Pick 37: Best Available

I’ll get my jacket

I think so too. Our list is well balanced enough to do that. As long as we don’t take all tall or all smalls then it’s not bad.

I’ve generally been a proponent for suits your needs, unless the talent gap is too big. But to be honest, our main needs are guns. So best available with highest ceiling would be my preference. Go a little boom or bust.

I've generally been a proponent for suits your needs, unless the talent gap is too big. But to be honest, our main needs are guns. So best available with highest ceiling would be my preference. Go a little boom or bust.

Ainsworth it is

I've generally been a proponent for suits your needs, unless the talent gap is too big. But to be honest, our main needs are guns. So best available with highest ceiling would be my preference. Go a little boom or bust.

Ainsworth it is

YAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Ainsworth it is

I would say English or SPS

If we could hurry up and get this stupid AFL finals series out of the way, so that we can get to trade week, and trade #1, for two top ten picks, then we can pull out the whycan’twehaveboth.jpg

I want project players for every pick

1. Best available - McCluggage
  2. Tall slider - Josh Battle
    25ish. Inside mid - Possibly Drew
  3. Ruck - Goddard
  4. Dodoro special

McLuggage