Draft Strategy

Pick 37="We couldn't believe he was still available" Pick 26="We couldn't believe he was still available" Pick 19="We couldn't believe he was still available" Pick 1="We couldn't believe he was still available"

I look forward to having 4 extra Zach Merretts in that case

Thinking about what I have read about the U/18’s and TAC Cup, I think I want
Our first pick McCluggage.
Second pick (hopefully a top ten pick) Taranto/McGrath I would like both but that might be a bit too optimistic.
Third pick maybe Venables.

Not sure how possible this is but the conjecture is that there are likely to be very much a case of subjective opinion by those in the know. So maybe someone Jackets likes may not float other people at other clubs so they could be available for us.

Our draft strategy should be to draft the best players.

Pick 1: Best available

Pick 19: Best available

Pick 26: Best available

Pick 37: Best available

Pick 55: Best available

Dodoro, why did you pick 5 HBFs?

Well you see we had a best available policy…

Best available mids! Inside and outside.

If McKernan stays no need for back up rucks unless there is a young ruck we can develop that’s too good to refuse…rookie spot to compete with Gach?

Doesn’t seem to be too much talk about good key position players this year!? Maybe there might be one available with our second / third rounder? Remember Hooker was 50s!?

Some of the more talked about players are mids (as per the norm) and 175-182cm types. Maybe it’s a good opportunity to take a really good small fwd who has run and dash!? And maybe can move into the midfield once Watson Goddard and Stanton retire.

If McKernan stays no need for back up rucks unless there is a young ruck we can develop that’s too good to refuse…rookie spot to compete with Gach?

Doesn’t seem to be too much talk about good key position players this year!? Maybe there might be one available with our second / third rounder? Remember Hooker was 50s!?

Some of the more talked about players are mids (as per the norm) and 175-182cm types. Maybe it’s a good opportunity to take a really good small fwd who has run and dash!? And maybe can move into the midfield once Watson Goddard and Stanton retire.

I agree, load up on quality mids. Use what we have to pinch hit at KP and Ruck if we get desperate.

The only exception would be if we got two top tens and English was there at the second. 206 cm and moves and kicks like a mid is tempting.

No!

BUt they can all play in the midfield…lol

After many years drafting the above types we are seriously short of precision penetrating kicking and pace in the back 6

Tippa has the pace but not the depth to his kick irish has the pace but his kick need to develop…we need that person who can break the lines with his pace run then kick it over the back… some of the best 22’s ive seen for us would be that slow it would be funny syop kick sideways stuff…we need pace pace and penetration out of the back 6…

Simple really

Oh and midfielders who can play in the midfield!

After many years drafting the above types we are seriously short of precision penetrating kicking and pace in the back 6

Tippa has the pace but not the depth to his kick irish has the pace but his kick need to develop…we need that person who can break the lines with his pace run then kick it over the back… some of the best 22’s ive seen for us would be that slow it would be funny syop kick sideways stuff…we need pace pace and penetration out of the back 6…

Simple really

I think you are underselling the kicking ability of Walla and Irish. Both would be competing for best kick in the team. Their weaknesses are more defensive tactics than skill. That should improve with experience and coaching. At the rate Irish is progressing, he could easily be the player you are looking for within 18 months.

Simple really

Huh? Walla and McKenna's kicking are both elite or near elite. Walla's issue is that he's too small, and teams will exploit that. And McKenna's issue is he needs to learn to be more defensive minded and stick tackles. That should come with playing the position for more than 10 weeks or so (which was the case this year).

I think McKenna has a good chance of being a very classy small back. I think Walla’s future is forward.

Simple really

Huh? Walla and McKenna's kicking are both elite or near elite. Walla's issue is that he's too small, and teams will exploit that. And McKenna's issue is he needs to learn to be more defensive minded and stick tackles. That should come with playing the position for more than 10 weeks or so (which was the case this year).

I think McKenna has a good chance of being a very classy small back. I think Walla’s future is forward.

You may Have missed my point with walla yes he does present it lace out but he doesn’t have the depth length of kick in him and yes I agree that I think his future lies in the front half!

Remember a few years ago when hooker was always left by the opposition after a point and the majority of the time we did kick it to hooker as he was alone but that’s exact;ly what was designed by the opposition not us.It wont take long for coaches to work out who they don’t pick up when its kicked in after a point!.

Hartley has a leg on him but more length then precision.
Hurls very competent with both feet
Bags adequate
dea…better defender then kicker.
ambrose …see dea
Gleeson Kick is similar to his body.
Kelly adequate but does occasionally go through bad patches
Connor kick needs more penetration still inexperienced as a defender at AFL level.
Walla precision in his kick but can he kick it 50 but as you said opposition will take him to the goal square.

We need a player who can dash out of the back half then get it down the field over the back or to a 1 on1 quickly efficiently.

My proto type is myers left foot with travs pace!

I’ve seen tippa kick it 60.

Would be very happy if we caould end up with McCluggage, Battle and D.Clarke from our first 3 picks

I've seen tippa kick it 60.

Agreed. He has the capacity to kick it long when needed he just chooses to lower the eyes and kick it to the hit-up lead more often than not.

I've seen tippa kick it 60.

Agreed. He has the capacity to kick it long when needed he just chooses to lower the eyes and kick it to the hit-up lead more often than not.

Every time.

Prefers the 30m lace out popgun onto the chest than anything else. Understands the importance of keeping the footy.

Each year I get on my soap box about the rookie list and this year is no different. Just quietly our rookie list has been a little gold mine, with better than a third ending up AFL senior players and some turning out to be absolute guns (I did the numbers the last few years and they’re there in the archives if you want to argue, which I don’t). And unlike most 18 year olds, they are often ready to go straight away.This year is no different, come on down Walla!
That’s why it ■■■■■ me no end when we use it to basically avoid making a hard decision. For mine, 2 years is a fair go and then make the call on the senior listing. And don’t use it to dump main list players on ill advised contracts.
Tippa will be elevated and so should Jake Long, he’s done enough. If the powers that be elevate Will Hams, fine by me, he was as special case, but he’s had enough time to make a call, one way or the other. Gach needs another year before we make a call, especially as he’s a big bloke, and Wallis has been delisted, so by my reckoning we should have 3 picks in the rookie draft - I assume we’ll only run with 4 next year.
I repeat, history suggests that will translate into at least one decent player, unless we start playing funny buggers filling it up with downgraded main listers, a tactic that has failed over and over again.
I know the rookie list struggles to excite a lot out there, especially when it’s up against a glorified exhibition match of under 18s, but I hope we take 3 genuine rookies this year. We are foolish if we don’t.
PS Irish is in a separate category but we should upgrade him too and look for more international rookies.
PPS 2 of the returning 10 were rookies, and 2 came from the PSD, just saying. Crameri was a Dons rookie too. And so was Josh Jenkins!
PPPS Maybe we’d learn more if we pitted the cream of the draft prospects against a team of genuine rookie prospects. Mind you the bigger and more experienced rookies would kill them so maybe it’s not such a good idea.

Each year I get on my soap box about the rookie list and this year is no different. Just quietly our rookie list has been a little gold mine, with better than a third ending up AFL senior players and some turning out to be absolute guns (I did the numbers the last few years and they're there in the archives if you want to argue, which I don't). And unlike most 18 year olds, they are often ready to go straight away.This year is no different, come on down Walla! That's why it ■■■■■ me no end when we use it to basically avoid making a hard decision. For mine, 2 years is a fair go and then make the call on the senior listing. And don't use it to dump main list players on ill advised contracts. Tippa will be elevated and so should Jake Long, he's done enough. If the powers that be elevate Will Hams, fine by me, he was as special case, but he's had enough time to make a call, one way or the other. Gach needs another year before we make a call, especially as he's a big bloke, and Wallis has been delisted, so by my reckoning we should have 3 picks in the rookie draft - I assume we'll only run with 4 next year. I repeat, history suggests that will translate into at least one decent player, unless we start playing funny buggers filling it up with downgraded main listers, a tactic that has failed over and over again. I know the rookie list struggles to excite a lot out there, especially when it's up against a glorified exhibition match of under 18s, but I hope we take 3 genuine rookies this year. We are foolish if we don't. PS Irish is in a separate category but we should upgrade him too and look for more international rookies. PPS 2 of the returning 10 were rookies, and 2 came from the PSD, just saying. Crameri was a Dons rookie too. And so was Josh Jenkins! PPPS Maybe we'd learn more if we pitted the cream of the draft prospects against a team of genuine rookie prospects. Mind you the bigger and more experienced rookies would kill them so maybe it's not such a good idea.
Although I don't disagree with what you're saying, I would point out that there may be diminishing returns, or odds of getting a player, the more picks you take in the rookie draft.

Or not.

Jackets should play money ball after pick 30!

It would be interesting to work out the average draft pick number where the tipping point occurred when the more known quantities of state league players who are either mature players or at least have exposed form playing against mature bodies, outweighed the potential of TAC players who may or may not perform in the senior competition.

For EFC players who were recruited since 2009 there have been 24 TAC draft selections vs 24 draft selections coming from players who have been playing in State or other major senior competitions.

Of those recruited since 2009 there are remaining on an AFL list currently:

11 out of 24 of the TAC remain

14 out of 24 of the State League recruits remain.

I have not included non drafted players or players drafted directly from an AFL club, this includes players like Goddard, Leuey, Bird, McKernan, Kelly and Dea.

TAC only recruits:

Parish
Morgan
Langford
Laverde
Zerrett
Daniher
Gleeson
Jerrett
Heppell
Melksham
Carlisle

State League Recruits:

Francis
Redman
Brown
Hartley
Walla
Long
Fantasia
Ambrose
Baguley
Hibberd
Jenkins
Colyer
Howlett
Crameri

State League Recruits (SLR) - ratio of players recruited 2009 - 2015 players still playing AFL in 2016

SLR 2015
Francis - SANFL - pick 6
Redman - SANFL - pick 30
Brown - VFL - pick 54
Hartley - VFL - pick 68
Walla - rookie pick 22

2015 - players remaining
SLR 5 out of 5 still playing
TAC recruits: 2 out of 5 still playing. (Parish and Morgan remain, Eades? Nyoun, Wallis delisted).

SLR 2014
Long - NTFL / VFL - F/S rookie

2014 - players remaining
SLR 1/1
TAC 2/2 (Langford, Laverde)

SLR 2013
Fantasia - SANFL - pick 55
Thurlow - NEAFL - rookie pick 9
Ambrose - VAFA - rookie pick 26

2013 - players remaining
SLR 2/3
TAC 1/1 (Zerrett)

SLR 2012
Van Unen - VFL - pick 51
Kommer - WAFL - pick 73

2012 - players remaining
SLR 0/2
TAC 2/4 (Daniher, Gleeson)

SLR 2011

Dell’Ollio - WAFL - rookie pick 29
Baguley - VFL - rookie pick 47
Lee - WAFL - rookie pick 78

2011 - players remaining
SLR 1/3
TAC 1/5 (Jerrett)

SLR 2010
Davis - SANFL - pick 64
Hibberd - VFL - PSD pick 4
Jenkins - CMFL - rookie pick 12

Webster - BDFL - rookie pick 61 (NSW scholarship promotion)

2010 - players remaining
SLR 2/4
TAC 1/4 (Heppell)

SLR 2009
Colyer - WAFL - pick 26
Hardingham - WAFL - PSD pick 7
Silverlock (missed Barlow) - SANFL - rookie pick 14
Howlett - WAFL - rookie pick 30
Crameri - VFL - rookie pick 43

Marigliani - VFL - rookie pick 55

2009 - players remaining
SLR 3/6
TAC 2/3 (Melksham, Carlisle)

Jackets strike rate:

SLR vs TAC 2009 to 2015 drafts

SLR 14/24
TAC 11/24

Somewhere around pick 40 we should start concentrating on players with some exposed senior league experience. Gleeson (pick 53) is the only TAC only player since 2009 still on our list with a pick higher than 31 (Jackson Merrett) and the rest were in the 20’s or less.

Francis, Redman and Colyer were the only State League Recruits taken at less than pick 31, and most were way over that. You can conclude that after pick 30 it would be reasonable to start looking in the direction of State leagues unless you are sure the TAC pool is deep.

Jackets should play money ball after pick 30!

It would be interesting to work out the average draft pick number where the tipping point occurred when the more known quantities of state league players who are either mature players or at least have exposed form playing against mature bodies, outweighed the potential of TAC players who may or may not perform in the senior competition.

For EFC players who were recruited since 2009 there have been 24 TAC draft selections vs 24 draft selections coming from players who have been playing in State or other major senior competitions.

Of those recruited since 2009 there are remaining on an AFL list currently:

11 out of 24 of the TAC remain

14 out of 24 of the State League recruits remain.

I have not included non drafted players or players drafted directly from an AFL club, this includes players like Goddard, Leuey, Bird, McKernan, Kelly and Dea.

TAC only recruits:

Parish
Morgan
Langford
Laverde
Zerrett
Daniher
Gleeson
Jerrett
Heppell
Melksham
Carlisle

State League Recruits:

Francis
Redman
Brown
Hartley
Walla
Long
Fantasia
Ambrose
Baguley
Hibberd
Jenkins
Colyer
Howlett
Crameri

State League Recruits (SLR) - ratio of players recruited 2009 - 2015 players still playing AFL in 2016

SLR 2015
Francis - SANFL - pick 6
Redman - SANFL - pick 30
Brown - VFL - pick 54
Hartley - VFL - pick 68
Walla - rookie pick 22

2015 - players remaining
SLR 5 out of 5 still playing
TAC recruits: 2 out of 5 still playing. (Parish and Morgan remain, Eades? Nyoun, Wallis delisted).

SLR 2014
Long - NTFL / VFL - F/S rookie

2014 - players remaining
SLR 1/1
TAC 2/2 (Langford, Laverde)

SLR 2013
Fantasia - SANFL - pick 55
Thurlow - NEAFL - rookie pick 9
Ambrose - VAFA - rookie pick 26

2013 - players remaining
SLR 2/3
TAC 1/1 (Zerrett)

SLR 2012
Van Unen - VFL - pick 51
Kommer - WAFL - pick 73

2012 - players remaining
SLR 0/2
TAC 2/4 (Daniher, Gleeson)

SLR 2011

Dell’Ollio - WAFL - rookie pick 29
Baguley - VFL - rookie pick 47
Lee - WAFL - rookie pick 78

2011 - players remaining
SLR 1/3
TAC 1/5 (Jerrett)

SLR 2010
Davis - SANFL - pick 64
Hibberd - VFL - PSD pick 4
Jenkins - CMFL - rookie pick 12

Webster - BDFL - rookie pick 61 (NSW scholarship promotion)

2010 - players remaining
SLR 2/4
TAC 1/4 (Heppell)

SLR 2009
Colyer - WAFL - pick 26
Hardingham - WAFL - PSD pick 7
Silverlock (missed Barlow) - SANFL - rookie pick 14
Howlett - WAFL - rookie pick 30
Crameri - VFL - rookie pick 43

Marigliani - VFL - rookie pick 55

2009 - players remaining
SLR 3/6
TAC 2/3 (Melksham, Carlisle)

Jackets strike rate:

SLR vs TAC 2009 to 2015 drafts

SLR 14/24
TAC 11/24

Somewhere around pick 40 we should start concentrating on players with some exposed senior league experience. Gleeson (pick 53) is the only TAC only player since 2009 still on our list with a pick higher than 31 (Jackson Merrett) and the rest were in the 20’s or less.

Francis, Redman and Colyer were the only State League Recruits taken at less than pick 31, and most were way over that. You can conclude that after pick 30 it would be reasonable to start looking in the direction of State leagues unless you are sure the TAC pool is deep.

Luke Ryan at 30 to replace Hibberd
Darcy Cameron at 40 odd to replace Jamar/Smack