Draft wrap up

I don't think anyone has any problems with Humble Minion's methods and explanations.

Benfti looks at the world through very different glasses.

And at the risk of being called a…

• Shane Yarran (just charged with aggravated assault)
  • Yestin Eades (delisted after 1 season after showing lack of application/professionalism)
  • Jarred Pickett (former pick 4 in 2014 draft - traded for scraps)
  • Jarrod Garlett (former pick 15 in 2014 draft - walked away from AFL)
  • Dayle Garlett (jailed for almost 5 years on a string of offences including home burglary, car theft, stealing, and reckless driving)
  • Harley Bennell (former pick 2 - traded for unders due to drug issues and being a professional headcase)

This is just from draftees over the last few years… and there are other examples (see Chris Yarran).

• Michael Long
  • Nicky Winmar
  • Gavin Wanganeen
  • Nathan Lovett-Murray
  • Adam Goodes
  • Michael O’Loughlin

This is just off field importance not even considering ability

So yeah I am gonna call you a racist. And I’m not sure why more on this site aren’t being called out for it

Because your examples are a decade old and the best of all time?
And while I’m no acolyte of G, Deckham if you have an opposing view then make it.
You don’t ask the person who makes the first point to make your counter-point for you. Make it yourself or shut up.

Were clubs better at developing aboriginal talent a decade ago?
I don’t know.
But recent history…G has a prima face case.
Don’t just lazily call him racist.

Edit: also, Michael O’Loughlin? Not sure you want to go there.

In my opinion, it has nothing to do with skin color. Gen Y are just a bunch of ■■■■■■■ that feel they are entitled to everything!

Wait! We’re entitled to things!?

This whole "its ok, we'll get him in two years anyway" stuff is complete crap imo. If they are any good, they'll cost us way more than the original pick anyway.

Plus in two years there’ll be the new McCluggage/Setterfield/Taranto who we couldn’t possibly trade away possible access to for the boring old actual McCluggage/Setterfield/Taranto.

I’m just glad our game has room for everyone and when a young guy, vanilla, black, multicoloured or whatever makes a little misstep in life our game is there to see him through and not just condemn him on the basis of perceived genetic and cultural traits or innate character flaws.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/collingwood-star-dane-swan-accused-of-welshing-on-payment-to-bashed-cleaner/story-e6frf7kx-1225790205506

I don't think anyone has any problems with Humble Minion's methods and explanations.

• Yestin Eades (delisted after 1 season after showing lack of application/professionalism)
  • Dayle Garlett (jailed for almost 5 years on a string of offences including home burglary, car theft, stealing, and reckless driving)
  • Harley Bennell (former pick 2 - traded for unders due to drug issues and being a professional headcase)

This is just from draftees over the last few years… and there are other examples (see Chris Yarran).

• Michael Long
  • Nicky Winmar
  • Gavin Wanganeen
  • Nathan Lovett-Murray
  • Adam Goodes
  • Michael O’Loughlin

So yeah I am gonna call you a racist. And I’m not sure why more on this site aren’t being called out for it

And while I’m no acolyte of G, Deckham if you have an opposing view then make it.
You don’t ask the person who makes the first point to make your counter-point for you. Make it yourself or shut up.

I don’t know.

In my opinion, it has nothing to do with skin color. Gen Y are just a bunch of ■■■■■■■ that feel they are entitled to everything! But that’s just my opinion.

Not all but some are.
This whole "its ok, we'll get him in two years anyway" stuff is complete crap imo. If they are any good, they'll cost us way more than the original pick anyway.

Plus in two years there’ll be the new McCluggage/Setterfield/Taranto who we couldn’t possibly trade away possible access to for the boring old actual McCluggage/Setterfield/Taranto.

McCluttage wanted to come to Essendon. Perhaps in two years we'll get him anyway.
disagree. gws have already shown they'll trade players for unders and I dont think setterfield is going to get a huge crack in their midfield over the next two years to pump his value up. however, it all means nothing because i dont think that just because he barracks for essendon he would want to be traded to us in 2 years anyway.

• Michael Long
  • Nicky Winmar
  • Gavin Wanganeen
  • Nathan Lovett-Murray
  • Adam Goodes
  • Michael O’Loughlin

I don’t know.

In my opinion, it has nothing to do with skin color. Gen Y are just a bunch of ■■■■■■■ that feel they are entitled to everything! But that’s just my opinion.

Side note: with the retirement of Harvey this year, every player in the AFL is now Gen Y.

I think it unlikely McCluggage will come to EFC… little incentive when compared to the other VIC clubs. His desire to be at EFC via pick #1 is just as likely to have been driven by wanting to stay in VIC.

Setterfield however is a big show at being in the red and black in a couple of years time. If he really wants to, there won’t be anyone stopping him. GWS is the toughest side for a kid to break into. He isn’t even their first draft pick this year. He will know that EFC were interested, but couldn’t reach for him. And we have a lot of midfield / utility spots opening up in the next few years. We are a big show I think.

1 Like
disagree. gws have already shown they'll trade players for unders and I dont think setterfield is going to get a huge crack in their midfield over the next two years to pump his value up. however, it all means nothing because i dont think that just because he barracks for essendon he would want to be traded to us in 2 years anyway.

Treloar was unders at two pick 7’s?

No. If they start well and get senior footy, they’ll cost a heap.

The only “unders” imo so far has been Marchbank. And thats debatable due to injury problems.

Thats probably our best bet , if Setterfield starts with a couple of middling, not quite excellent seasons, for whatever reason.

• Michael Long
  • Nicky Winmar
  • Gavin Wanganeen
  • Nathan Lovett-Murray
  • Adam Goodes
  • Michael O’Loughlin

I don’t know.

Side note: with the retirement of Harvey this year, every player in the AFL is now Gen Y.

Jobe is Gen X in spirit.

I'm just glad our game has room for everyone and when a young guy, vanilla, black, multicoloured or whatever makes a little misstep in life our game is there to see him through and not just condemn him on the basis of perceived genetic and cultural traits or innate character flaws.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/collingwood-star-dane-swan-accused-of-welshing-on-payment-to-bashed-cleaner/story-e6frf7kx-1225790205506

Is Dane Swan the multi-coloured player you referred to given his wall to wall tatts?

One thing I found odd about the draft was how few mature aged players were taken. I think there was only one +25 year old taken (DeBoer) and no one expected him to be taken at all.

I thought it was interesting that GWS took De Boer after passing on Mutch.
The only justification I can think of is that they might see themselves as premiership ready now, and an 18yo like would not be a fully developed for a few years. But really, it seems pretty short sighted to me. Even when you are in your “premiership window”, you still need to develop your list for the future.
I hope the reason is not simply that they don’t rate Mutch. On the other hand, I also kind of hope it is, and that he turns out to be a 100 gamer and proves them wrong and Dodo right.

I’d suggest De Boer would be the defensive forward that they intended to play McGrath as.

Ready to go. Finals experienced player.

Absolutely they are in premiership window.

Didn’t they need to “match points” and that was the deterrent?

One thing I found odd about the draft was how few mature aged players were taken. I think there was only one +25 year old taken (DeBoer) and no one expected him to be taken at all.

I thought it was interesting that GWS took De Boer after passing on Mutch.
The only justification I can think of is that they might see themselves as premiership ready now, and an 18yo like would not be a fully developed for a few years. But really, it seems pretty short sighted to me. Even when you are in your “premiership window”, you still need to develop your list for the future.
I hope the reason is not simply that they don’t rate Mutch. On the other hand, I also kind of hope it is, and that he turns out to be a 100 gamer and proves them wrong and Dodo right.

GWS are playing in another competition to everyone else. Unless you are an elite kid, or bring experience to the table, you aren’t getting a game for them.

There is nothing guaranteed about pick #42. But we have to dig a little deeper than GWS, looking for role-players who we can develop, because not all of our list are first round picks.

Here's hoping Jackets cut a deal with Woosh that if we went full vanilla at the national draft he was allowed to load up on sprinkles in the rookie draft.

Out of interest… What Aboriginal players were picked up by wc when JW was coach.

What I don’t get about the whole De Boer thing is that if they wanted him, why not just pick him up in the DFA period? Wouldn’t this allow them to sign him on a 1 year deal only instead of 2?

He would have also made more sense on a rookie list, unless they plan to actually give him plenty of games this year.

Treloar was unders at two pick 7’s?

No. If they start well and get senior footy, they’ll cost a heap.

The only “unders” imo so far has been Marchbank. And thats debatable due to injury problems.

Thats probably our best bet , if Setterfield starts with a couple of middling, not quite excellent seasons, for whatever reason.

Going through GWS trade history back to 2011, I dont think they’ve ‘lost’ a trade. Either broke even or won.

What I don't get about the whole De Boer thing is that if they wanted him, why not just pick him up in the DFA period? Wouldn't this allow them to sign him on a 1 year deal only instead of 2?

He would have also made more sense on a rookie list, unless they plan to actually give him plenty of games this year.

Mature age players who have already been on an AFL list only get a 1 year contract if they are re-drafted in the National Draft IIRC. The same went with Mitch Brown and Hartley last year and we extended their contracts fairly quickly.

Here's hoping Jackets cut a deal with Woosh that if we went full vanilla at the national draft he was allowed to load up on sprinkles in the rookie draft.

Out of interest… What Aboriginal players were picked up by wc when JW was coach.

A quick search gives me the following: Sampi, Jamie Bennell, Cockie, Josh Hill, Newman, Weedon, Wellingham, Oakley-Nicholls, Papertalk. Edit: and Broome.