Draft wrap up

Here's hoping Jackets cut a deal with Woosh that if we went full vanilla at the national draft he was allowed to load up on sprinkles in the rookie draft.

Out of interest… What Aboriginal players were picked up by wc when JW was coach.

That my thinking. A very safe vanilla draft for a very safe vanilla coach.

Dodoro say anything interesting in that interview?

Phil Collins is his favourite artist.
No Jackets required of course being his favourite album.

This whole "its ok, we'll get him in two years anyway" stuff is complete crap imo. If they are any good, they'll cost us way more than the original pick anyway.
disagree. gws have already shown they'll trade players for unders and I dont think setterfield is going to get a huge crack in their midfield over the next two years to pump his value up. however, it all means nothing because i dont think that just because he barracks for essendon he would want to be traded to us in 2 years anyway.

Its now a different world for GWS - Same list size and salary cap as all AFL Clubs - So GWS will try to hold onto all required players and there will be no more handing freebies.

List size, as you say will reduce the freebies.

Salary cap though is working in the opposite direction. They are likely to have to continually turn-over their list to reduce salary cap pressure.

Can’t see too much changing really. They’ll palm off the kids they don’t rate to SOS. And the kids they do rate they’ll get a decent return for.

I’m pretty damn jealous of Brisbane this draft.

McCluggage, Berry, Witherden and Cedric Cox.

They will be delighted with that. Especially McCluggage getting to pick 3.

This whole "its ok, we'll get him in two years anyway" stuff is complete crap imo. If they are any good, they'll cost us way more than the original pick anyway.
disagree. gws have already shown they'll trade players for unders and I dont think setterfield is going to get a huge crack in their midfield over the next two years to pump his value up. however, it all means nothing because i dont think that just because he barracks for essendon he would want to be traded to us in 2 years anyway.

Its now a different world for GWS - Same list size and salary cap as all AFL Clubs - So GWS will try to hold onto all required players and there will be no more handing freebies.

Yeah but list spots and cap space will be premium. It’s going for force a few out eventually.

Why not Setterfield.

So… I think it depends a bit on their academies.

Dodoro on RSN

It depends a bit on their academies. If they continue to produce plenty of top rated kids, in a sense the gravy train continues and GWS will be less fussed about forcing value for Victorian kids who are unproven as they could only get NEAFL time. So their willingness to let players go "cheap" may vary by year and how many good prospects they have.

deleted

Dodoro say anything interesting in that interview?

yes, because indigenous players are the only players that are capable of bringing something different to a team.

yes, because indigenous players are the only players that are capable of bringing something different to a team.

A team that leads the way, prides it self on its engagement with indigenous people, has a blockbuster and celebratory match for indigenous people during NAIDOC week. And only has 1 indigenous player on the main list.

There is every right to be asking questions.

Did our recruiters take a risk with our tactics this year?

They didn’t shop number 1 around, maybe thinking that Venables, Simpkin, Florent or any other highly rated mid would be available at pick 22. In hindsight was two picks in the top 15 better than number 1? The time extension that we took at pick 22 says to me that it certainly wasn’t going to plan at that point. You also add to the fact that Dodoro spoke about his breakdown of how he likes to draft (blue chip stock/players with huge upside/big bodied players with flaws) and Ridley certainly falls into the category of players with huge upside.

In reality none of the above means anything until you see some results. I think we missed a chance to grab another good midfielder though.

Didn't they need to "match points" and that was the deterrent?

They would have gone into deficit for next year and apparently didnt want to do that.

They wouldn’t have. The bid on Mutch was worth 395 points which would require a points match of 198 points (there is a fixed discount of 197 points after pick 18). GWS’ next pick was 54, which is worth 220 points, so they could have matched without going into defecit. Ditto the subsequent bid on Macreadie which they also didn’t match (could have matched 47 bid with pick 58). They then took an academy player with pick 54 anyway (Tiziani). I’d suggest it’s just a reflection of their internal rankings of list need/ability of their academy players.

I’m glad the AwFuL simplified the situation, because fark that for a joke.

A team that leads the way, prides it self on its engagement with indigenous people, has a blockbuster and celebratory match for indigenous people during NAIDOC week. And only has 1 indigenous player on the main list.

and another two on the rookie list (which pretty much everybody is advocating should be abolished), but lets ignore them, because it sounds more dire when you do

could you imagine the outrage if people got disappointed that we didn’t draft more white people (hypothetically, of course)?

and another two on the rookie list (which pretty much everybody is advocating should be abolished), but lets ignore them, because it sounds more dire when you do

could you imagine the outrage if people got disappointed that we didn’t draft more white people (hypothetically, of course)?

we still have the least in the AFL. We should not have some unofficial quota, and its easy to justify how we ended up here on a case by case basis. But its still strange.

Wow, this thread.

we still have the least in the AFL. We should not have some unofficial quota, and its easy to justify how we ended up here on a case by case basis. But its still strange.

Actually it’s not strange at all. My guess is that it’s a sad consequence of our debt situation. As Matt Rendall so honestly said, some indigenous players need greater resources than most. I think that’s probably the case with Tippa and young Yestin. As it absolutely should be. Once you’ve committed to these young men you’ve an obligation to follow through.

I’d rather we have the likes of Tippa and give him everything he needs to succeed than spread our resources too thinly and risk losing these kids without them having opportunity to fulfil their true potential.

We’ve also had draft restrictions over the last few years & as such have had to play it safe with the few selections we’ve had.

I think really only this year the one chance we had was Rioli (a reach) vs Mutch (a slider).

We took Green as a DFA and addressing midfield more important than more small fwds so we didn’t go that way.

And then perhaps in rookie draft, we had to first fix our most pressing need - ruck, and then the small fwds we might have selected were already gone so we stuck with Eades.

As of next year we will have from 44 listed players, 3 indigenous. If that lifts to 4-5 over the next few years I’d expect that may be in line with rest of the league.

In any case we still have excitement machines on top of TIPPA in Colyer, Raz & McGrath

Actually it’s not strange at all. My guess is that it’s a sad consequence of our debt situation. As Matt Rendall so honestly said, some indigenous players need greater resources than most. I think that’s probably the case with Tippa and young Yestin. As it absolutely should be. Once you’ve committed to these young men you’ve an obligation to follow through.

I’d rather we have the likes of Tippa and give him everything he needs to succeed than spread our resources too thinly and risk losing these kids without them having opportunity to fulfil their true potential.

I am absolutely stunned by this response… So it is financial considerations that stopped Ess selecting Aboriginal players… I would love to know how much more they have cost the club…