Draft wrap up

This whole "its ok, we'll get him in two years anyway" stuff is complete crap imo. If they are any good, they'll cost us way more than the original pick anyway.
disagree. gws have already shown they'll trade players for unders and I dont think setterfield is going to get a huge crack in their midfield over the next two years to pump his value up. however, it all means nothing because i dont think that just because he barracks for essendon he would want to be traded to us in 2 years anyway.

Its now a different world for GWS - Same list size and salary cap as all AFL Clubs - So GWS will try to hold onto all required players and there will be no more handing freebies.

List size, as you say will reduce the freebies.

Salary cap though is working in the opposite direction. They are likely to have to continually turn-over their list to reduce salary cap pressure.

Can’t see too much changing really. They’ll palm off the kids they don’t rate to SOS. And the kids they do rate they’ll get a decent return for.

Nah - GWS will be the same as any successful team who face issues with their salary cap - It means players will have to play for less.

This whole "its ok, we'll get him in two years anyway" stuff is complete crap imo. If they are any good, they'll cost us way more than the original pick anyway.
disagree. gws have already shown they'll trade players for unders and I dont think setterfield is going to get a huge crack in their midfield over the next two years to pump his value up. however, it all means nothing because i dont think that just because he barracks for essendon he would want to be traded to us in 2 years anyway.

Its now a different world for GWS - Same list size and salary cap as all AFL Clubs - So GWS will try to hold onto all required players and there will be no more handing freebies.

Yeah but list spots and cap space will be premium. It’s going for force a few out eventually.

Why not Setterfield.

Absolutely - Like all clubs at the top of the ladder.

yes, because indigenous players are the only players that are capable of bringing something different to a team.

A team that leads the way, prides it self on its engagement with indigenous people, has a blockbuster and celebratory match for indigenous people during NAIDOC week. And only has 1 indigenous player on the main list.

There is every right to be asking questions.

and another two on the rookie list (which pretty much everybody is advocating should be abolished), but lets ignore them, because it sounds more dire when you do

could you imagine the outrage if people got disappointed that we didn’t draft more white people (hypothetically, of course)?

we still have the least in the AFL. We should not have some unofficial quota, and its easy to justify how we ended up here on a case by case basis. But its still strange.

Actually it’s not strange at all. My guess is that it’s a sad consequence of our debt situation. As Matt Rendall so honestly said, some indigenous players need greater resources than most. I think that’s probably the case with Tippa and young Yestin. As it absolutely should be. Once you’ve committed to these young men you’ve an obligation to follow through.

I’d rather we have the likes of Tippa and give him everything he needs to succeed than spread our resources too thinly and risk losing these kids without them having opportunity to fulfil their true potential.

I am absolutely stunned by this response… So it is financial considerations that stopped Ess selecting Aboriginal players… I would love to know how much more they have cost the club…

Category B players perhaps? ie extra players

It depends a bit on their academies. If they continue to produce plenty of top rated kids, in a sense the gravy train continues and GWS will be less fussed about forcing value for Victorian kids who are unproven as they could only get NEAFL time. So their willingness to let players go "cheap" may vary by year and how many good prospects they have.

Nah - GWS will still have a list size of 44 and a salary cap of nearly 11 million.

this thread just epitomises the #definaboriginal hashtag getting around twitter.

If all our draftees don’t win a brownlow, I’m gonna have a hissy fit!!

I don’t think we have enough left foot kicks in the team. Hawthorn have lots of left foot kicks in their team. I wonder if in 5 year’s time we will have more left foot kicks in our team and Hawthorn have fewer left foot kicks in their team?

I don't think we have enough left foot kicks in the team. Hawthorn have lots of left foot kicks in their team. I wonder if in 5 year's time we will have more left foot kicks in our team and Hawthorn have fewer left foot kicks in their team?

As a matter of interest who are our left footers these days? Giving it zero thought Joe and Myers come to mind but who else?

I’m happy with our overall draft picks this year although I was disappointed the club didn’t pick up a Benfti special. My favourite before the draft was Dion Johnstone but Melbourne grabbed him at pick 64, I like the look of the young ruckman we picked up in the Rookie draft Anyway that is my view on the drafts.

I don't think we have enough left foot kicks in the team. Hawthorn have lots of left foot kicks in their team. I wonder if in 5 year's time we will have more left foot kicks in our team and Hawthorn have fewer left foot kicks in their team?

As a matter of interest who are our left footers these days? Giving it zero thought Joe and Myers come to mind but who else?

Heppell dea Merrett

yes, because indigenous players are the only players that are capable of bringing something different to a team.

A team that leads the way, prides it self on its engagement with indigenous people, has a blockbuster and celebratory match for indigenous people during NAIDOC week. And only has 1 indigenous player on the main list.

and another two on the rookie list (which pretty much everybody is advocating should be abolished), but lets ignore them, because it sounds more dire when you do

could you imagine the outrage if people got disappointed that we didn’t draft more white people (hypothetically, of course)?

we still have the least in the AFL. We should not have some unofficial quota, and its easy to justify how we ended up here on a case by case basis. But its still strange.

Actually it’s not strange at all. My guess is that it’s a sad consequence of our debt situation. As Matt Rendall so honestly said, some indigenous players need greater resources than most. I think that’s probably the case with Tippa and young Yestin. As it absolutely should be. Once you’ve committed to these young men you’ve an obligation to follow through.

I’d rather we have the likes of Tippa and give him everything he needs to succeed than spread our resources too thinly and risk losing these kids without them having opportunity to fulfil their true potential.

Because we are in debt, we arn’t recruiting aboriginals?

With all due respect, and don’t bash me reboot, thats ridiculous

That’s a gross simplification of what I said. We have limited resources at the moment to devote to player welfare. Some need more than others. It’s why we wouldn’t take on any kids that would stretch those resources.

Obviously a kid who is from Victoria with a support network already in place is going to be less of a drain on those resources and allows them to be focused where they’re most needed. For now.

That’s a gross simplification of what I said. We have limited resources at the moment to devote to player welfare. Some need more than others. It’s why we wouldn’t take on any kids that would stretch those resources.

Obviously a kid who is from Victoria with a support network already in place is going to be less of a drain on those resources and allows them to be focused where they’re most needed. For now.

I did notice that we had only taken Victorians. And was thinking if this was to cut costs. Other than Mutch, we didn’t pick any Vic Country kids in the National draft.

We flew in a rookie 1 year of playing afl.

Heppell dea Merrett

Hocking

Hopefully this is bullshit and just your opinion… I would really hate it if our club shared this attitude. What an insult to our passed and present Aboriginal players… Who I am sure brought more to the club than took from it.

Heppell dea Merrett

Hocking

Morgan
Tippa is ambidextrous too…

That’s all of them.

I'm pretty damn jealous of Brisbane this draft.

McCluggage, Berry, Witherden and Cedric Cox.

They will be delighted with that. Especially McCluggage getting to pick 3.

Helps to be given an extra pick for self inflicted wounds

I wonder how many Lions supporters are already sweating about these guys jumping ship in 2 years

Heppell dea Merrett

Hocking

Morgan
Tippa is ambidextrous too…

That’s all of them.

Morgan is right-footed

Hopefully this is bullshit and just your opinion… I would really hate it if our club shared this attitude. What an insult to our passed and present Aboriginal players… Who I am sure brought more to the club than took from it.

Wouldnt a club which has been through hell with the media for 4 years develop a risk averse attitude to drafting ?

A club where even not knowing the whereabouts of every player 24/7/365 can result in a fine and further accusations of “governance failure” and every one says . Essendon. Again !

Our club now will inform itself of the sort of family background, the educational level, the peer group, personal references etc as part of a formalised due diligence in recruiting like never before.

You can be sure the club is risk averse in everything it does these days.