Draft wrap up

Cal Twomey on Essendons picks McGrath - will be in Essendons leadership group in 2 years, should play 20 games next year. - would have went witherden ahead of Ridley (HBF may move into third tall defender role), could have also went Shai Bolton. - Begley unproven, but has talent and can kick goals - Mutch - GWS overlooked, can find footy -Clarke - best mates with McGrath, can find footy -Draper - first pick Rookie draft - stretched as only live pick, ruck depth was required

will wait and see.
Draft will be made or loss on the number 1 pick.

He really sounded unsure of our picks. Was hesitant to really lay into us, but didnā€™t seem confident.

Cal Twomey on Essendons picks McGrath - will be in Essendons leadership group in 2 years, should play 20 games next year. - would have went witherden ahead of Ridley (HBF may move into third tall defender role), could have also went Shai Bolton. - Begley unproven, but has talent and can kick goals - Mutch - GWS overlooked, can find footy -Clarke - best mates with McGrath, can find footy -Draper - first pick Rookie draft - stretched as only live pick, ruck depth was required

will wait and see.

He really sounded unsure of our picks. Was hesitant to really lay into us, but didnā€™t seem confident.

Ridley was around that mark in his Phantom Draft and I think he also made mention in it that the Lions were keen at the next pick so I donā€™t mind us picking him then if we really wanted him. Begley is the upside pick in the middle that Disco said on that members video so I understand it. In my opinion it all stacks up ok.

will wait and see.

Ridley was around that mark in his Phantom Draft and I think he also made mention in it that the Lions were keen at the next pick so I donā€™t mind us picking him then if we really wanted him. Begley is the upside pick in the middle that Disco said on that members video so I understand it. In my opinion it all stacks up ok.

Just thought it was interesting how unsure Twomey sounded. Iā€™m comfortable with the draft, but it certainly surprised a respected draft expert.

Maybe they just picked the players they thought were the best.
Agreed, many people losing their s*** and over analysing. However there's nothing wrong with a healthy debate

Brett Anderson seems to be able to speak at length, and in depth, about almost all the draftees.

Tells me he knows his ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ?

Anyway, he reckons we cleaned up so Iā€™m just gonna go with that :wink:

Probably not, at least not for a simple definition of best. I can believe that the talent ranking list gets a bit hazy out in the 60s, but they took full time plus a time extension on the Ridley pick at 22. Presumably (Iā€™d hope), they had already considered the ā€œworstā€ case scenario of who would be gone and who would be left, given thatā€™s only 21 players and itā€™s literally their full time job to think about these things, and knew which of the remaining players on that list they thought was the best. Given they couldnā€™t answer that question almost instantly, Iā€™d suggest there was in fact strategising going on.

Probably not, at least not for a simple definition of best. I can believe that the talent ranking list gets a bit hazy out in the 60s, but they took full time plus a time extension on the Ridley pick at 22. Presumably (Iā€™d hope), they had already considered the ā€œworstā€ case scenario of who would be gone and who would be left, given thatā€™s only 21 players and itā€™s literally their full time job to think about these things, and knew which of the remaining players on that list they thought was the best. Given they couldnā€™t answer that question almost instantly, Iā€™d suggest there was in fact strategising going on.

Yep. Itā€™s easy to have an order of preference from 1 to 22, just take the best available off that list.

The challenge becomes predicting the player available at pick 29 based off what has been taken by other clubs at picks 1-21. That strategising would have taken the delay.

will wait and see.

Just thought it was interesting how unsure Twomey sounded. Iā€™m comfortable with the draft, but it certainly surprised a respected draft expert.

Agreed.

Just thinking out loud so to speak as a way to rationalise it.

Dodoroā€™s said before that second round picks are where you pick up players you reckon have the biggest upside.

Maybe they thought Ridley had a bigger upside than Witherden, and werenā€™t prepared to go on a needs-basis.

I notice that all 4 GCS top-10 picks are managed by Connors. Theyā€™ll all be on the market in 2018-19.

WHERES THE FKG MEDIA TEAM WITH THE FKG INTERVIEWS?

Dodoro's said before that second round picks are where you pick up players you reckon have the biggest upside.

Maybe they thought Ridley had a bigger upside than Witherden, and werenā€™t prepared to go on a needs-basis.

I notice that all 4 GCS top-10 picks are managed by Connors. Theyā€™ll all be on the market in 2018-19.

Expanding that thought outā€¦ Dodoroā€™s based this draft around the 2019 side. Thereā€™s no need to bring in more short term talent, we have 10 returning guys to accomodate already.

Begley and Ridley are upside picks that he would hope to become A grade over 3 years. Draper seems a similar long term high return pick. Thereā€™s no point getting a B grade immediate impact player who has a low ceiling. When we hit 2019, we will need to draft B grade role players to fill gaps, but for now aim only for A graders.

Something something comeback story

Just read the first page of this thread and canā€™t believe the lack of excitement and criticism this draft class is getting

Accusations of playing it safe and only going after one type of player?? Yeah nah, not sure where youre coming from.

Obviously pick 1 was down to preference, and itā€™s fine to feel as if McC was the better option, but those of who acting like heā€™ll only be a good player for us are kidding themselves. McGrath was taken with the potential to be an elite mid. He has the pace and tale-the-game-on attitude that the current game is made for. Not to mention the fact that he has an elite attitude that will match his footballing ability.

Ridley was a great pick. Rated at 14 in Brett Andersonā€™s rankings based on potential, and having many of suitors in the 20ā€™s, it wasnā€™t as much as a reach as some are making out. This kid, as Brett Anderson says, has the potential to be anything. Heā€™s 192cm, a marking threat, agile and reads the play as good as any. With no other sliders available, Ridley was one of the best next options for us. Only Witherden would have been another good get, but the upside attached to Ridley is to tempting (I reckon Witherden could end up one of the best from the draft though). Looking at the next 10 picks after Ridley and there is no one else that really screams high quality like Ridley does.

Begley was a bit of a left-field pick considering he didnt play championships and was a late call up to the Eastern Ranges team, but also considering that he was only of local footy standard at the start of the season, heā€™s progress has been outstanding. Begley has great power, great skills, soft hands on the lead and even midfield ability. With a proper pre-season under his belt and his body in prime position, Begley could seriously be anything. Apparently had many clubs who liked him in the 20ā€™s, so a good pick up at 31 I think. Has potential to be an inside bull who kicks goalsā€¦ not something we need or anythingā€¦

Mutch is an inside outside mid who accumulates the ball at will. Averaged 32 possessions for Bendigo this year and kicks off both feet. Can lack impact at times, but heā€™s a potential future pillar of our midfield IMO. He may be a bit vanilla, but we needed to start building our midfield and for the pick we got him for, Mutch was a great option. Rated at 13 by Gary Bucknenara, the kid has obvious potential.

Clarke is a bull and again something we need with the likes of Watson and co getting older. He was All-Australian this year and all of those who know him believe his work ethic alone will make him a star at the next level. Some were talking of Clarke as a possible chance for our pick 20/29, and we got him at 68. IMO heā€™s kicking needs some serious work to not be caught out at the next level, but the kid is too good on and off the field to pass up at pick 68.

People thought it was a safe draft, yet are the same ones to complain when we take a half-back flank instead of the pure mid. We have an aging midfield and needed to address it. We did so in 2 steals in Mutch and Clarke. Ridley and Begley are also seen as future midfield option after development, both with massive potential. And obviously McGrath, who will only take 1 game for you all to be aboard his bandwagon.

wow people emotionally react to something they had a vested interest in immediate after it happens.

Something something comeback story

The club must have had cutbacks on digital content. Thereā€™s been ā– ā– ā– ā–  all videos and weā€™ve had the #1 pick!
We had one small interview with McGrath and a video of him on speaker to Dois.

Look at whatā€™s available for GC, Brisbane, Freo, etc. for their draftees. Theyā€™ve got ā– ā– ā– ā–  loads of content.

ps. Sick of the ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  iSelect ad on every video. Canā€™t they alternate?

Dodoro's said before that second round picks are where you pick up players you reckon have the biggest upside.

He also said of Ridley that he has possibly the biggest upside of anyone in the draft, so thereā€™s that.

He also said of Ridley that he has possibly the biggest upside of anyone in the draft, so thereā€™s that.

Iā€™m a bit Soundgarden with Ridley.

Saved him from a the blackhole suns?

Welcome to Essendon Will Brodie

Saved him from a the blackhole suns?

Nice, but a little later than that.