Draft wrap up

As one of those not so enthused by this year’s draft crop, can I ask an opinion on leg speed of the new group? It seems to me that outside of McGrath we didn’t pick anyone with genuine leg speed for the midfield, which concerns me.

I think speed is important but speed of ball movement, yes leg speed can break a line but use of the ball with speed and accuracy I feel is more important, looking at the guys we drafted 4 of the 5 are good users of the ball and the other is an accumulator. We already have some young leg speed on the team and I see excitement in Francis, Parish, Fanta and of course Tippa, even Irish gets full attention when he has the ball. With the draftees this year I do think we need to add some outside run and young talls next year - which is what I am hearing is the strengths of the next crop.

You want some pure footspeed, absolutely.

But being able to reliably win the contested footy - and maybe even more importantly having justified confidence that your team mate will win most contests - opens up even more space. Geelongs best years were characterised by players peeling off a contest knowing that someone else would win the pill even if outnumbered. Whereas we have tended to send more players into the contest and reduced options outside.

You need both. But you need more of the contested players. And arguably , running power may be more valuable than outright speed too.

One things for sure. We just took a draft full of contested footy players. I think we know what Woosha values and the team he wants to build. But we already had a hint during the year with repeated references to being a bit of an uncontested lineup with the core players removed.

https://hurlingpeoplenow.wordpress.com with a wrap of how clubs did with drafting players vs their expected picks, we were smack bang in the middle of the field.

https://hurlingpeoplenow.wordpress.com with a wrap of how clubs did with drafting players vs their expected picks, we were smack bang in the middle of the field.

nothings a reach when you get brodie, ainsworth, scrimshaw and bowes in the top 10. especially when its essentially the 2nd half of the top 10. if they can keep 3 of them they’ll have done well.

nothings a reach when you get brodie, ainsworth, scrimshaw and bowes in the top 10. especially when its essentially the 2nd half of the top 10. if they can keep 3 of them they’ll have done well.

Hence why GC was #1 on the bargain list…

Hence why GC was #1 on the bargain list…

using the draft bidding points for the system to come to that conclusion is a fundamentally flawed outcome. 1-10 are so heavily weighted vs the rest of the picks its not funny.

Interesting though that the lovechilds [GWS and GCS] are at opposite ends of that table.

Ladder ranks Hawthorn high. I’m happy for them to keep #74 and #76

What did they use as the measuring points? Bogfooty phantom drafts?

Hopefully they didn’t use Knightmare’s…he had a nightmare

Problem is they’re comparing with something that’s highly subjective so as much use as a clacker full of cold snow.

Ladder ranks Hawthorn high. I'm happy for them to keep #74 and #76...

They were reaching with those picks for sure

Looks like they did it against their own expectations.

Looks like they did it against their own expectations.

They did it against their own ‘consensus’ phantom, which is sort of an average of a whole bunch of other phantoms including Cals, Emma’s, knightmares, Sam landsbergers, etc.

Some of them only did 1-30, didn’t they?

Not worth reading too much into it, but it puts into perspective Disco’s supposed penchant for project picks - overall, we were not ‘reaching’ anywhere near as much as blitz made out.

Compared to, say, the Dees who receive this year’s ‘Boekhurst’ award for random drafting, taking two players who didn’t feature on a single expert phantom draft.

So it’s a load of bullshit being compared to a load of speculative bullshit. No surprise the result is bullshit.

So it's a load of bullshit being compared to a load of speculative bullshit. No surprise the result is bullshit.

Gigo is the word.

1 Like
Just on a flight from Sydney back to Melbourne. Gil, Wayne Campbell and brendon gale are all on it. I overheard Campbell and Gil talking about setterfield and the bombers not having the balls to bid on him. Got away from me a bit but sounded like dodoro (not 100% it was him but a bombers rep anyway) asked Campbell after the draft if they would have matched. To which he basically said ■■■■ off. Did we blink and take McGrath so we could retain the status of pick 1? Personally if we rated setterfield at 1 think we should've bid.

This has been bugging me.
Why would Gil and Campbell care?
Especially if they got who they wanted?

They (and I think it’s fair to call them they) are ■■■■■■ off that they didn’t get the number 1 pick.
That’s what Gil wanted, the slimy little toad.
For Essendon to pick Setterfield and GWS to match, giving them the Number 1 pick.

Just on a flight from Sydney back to Melbourne. Gil, Wayne Campbell and brendon gale are all on it. I overheard Campbell and Gil talking about setterfield and the bombers not having the balls to bid on him. Got away from me a bit but sounded like dodoro (not 100% it was him but a bombers rep anyway) asked Campbell after the draft if they would have matched. To which he basically said ■■■■ off. Did we blink and take McGrath so we could retain the status of pick 1? Personally if we rated setterfield at 1 think we should've bid.

This has been bugging me.
Why would Gil and Campbell care?
Especially if they got who they wanted?

They (and I think it’s fair to call them they) are ■■■■■■ off that they didn’t get the number 1 pick.
For Essendon to pick Setterfield and GWS to match, giving them the Number 1 pick.

My take on it is Gil didn't want Essendon to have the #1 pick. He would have wanted us to pick someone GWS could match, and then be able to say Essendon were punished, finished last, and still didn't get the #1 pick.
This has been bugging me. Why would Gil and Campbell care? Especially if they got who they wanted?

My take on it is Gil didn’t want Essendon to have the #1 pick.
He would have wanted us to pick someone GWS could match, and then be able to say Essendon were punished, finished last, and still didn’t get the #1 pick.

If they really hadn’t wanted Essendon to have pick #1, they’d have made GWS offer us a too good to refuse deal for it. And then let them keep an unchanged set of Academy concessions.