Draftee options thread

A general thread to discuss draftee options. I am sure that there will be many individual threads (e.g. the current Suns thread), but this can bring it all together and provide a place to post the odd individual option that isn't thread worthy. I'll try and get some conversation going, and maybe raid the Big Footy boards for some options to discuss with those precious later picks.

Main list or rookie options are welcome!

Stupid new system. Sorry about the blank post. Anyway, to get started, two guys who are well known to everyone here. They've been the life of the party many times, and have a special place in everyone's hearts. Especially Benfti's. I give you Garlett and Tippa!

Garlett

The talent is not in question. That he fills needs for us is not in question. Exactly what is going on between the ears is. Was originally touted for top 10 in last year's draft and (as everyone here knows) failed to get picked at all. At the time there were rumours about what had or hadn't happened at training with our players, that the recruiters wanted him but the coaches didn't, that there were players with just as bad offences but less public ones that got drafted anyway. Frankly, most of us have no idea.

This year, the rumours just kept coming. Team mates said he trained well and has put his head down. Others have claimed he missed a meeting with Port officials because he was unwell. Some claim he'll go 2nd round this draft, others ponder that he may miss out altogether again.

For Essendon, its a special quandry. With our current issues, some say we can't risk more bad press. Others say with lost picks we have to gamble on someone who has got the talent. The fact he is exactly the type we need just adds more of a twist. That if we decide to get him - he may not be available.

Personally? I'd take the risk. Its not like we'll be losing a high pick on him.

Tippa!

Overlooked in the 2012 draft, I vaguely recall he was also available for the 2011 one? Dedication is not meant to be a problem, with him shedding a lot of weight in 2012. However, there are questions over his endurance, and whether he is exactly what we need. His best position is HBF, which frankly we have a few of. But is meant to be a good tackler and good disposal. Others will talk more on him no doubt, especially those who saw the VFL matches he played in.

Not really a main list prospect, but definitely someone we might consider for the rookie draft.

Well, continuing on the theme that to start I'll mention guys people know. What about...

Mitchell Thorp

Ok, so unless a whole heap of our tall depth guys ask to leave, we clearly don't need another tall. But it is possible that 3-5 of Hardy, Pears, Gumby, Hooker, TB, Steinberg and Hooker might go for a variety of reasons. So what if we did need a spare depth tall? We certainly don't want to use our first (late) picks on them as the need is less than the midfield or small forwards. And probably less than the rucks.

Thorp is a possibility for a late pick. The talent was always good, but the main reason for the failure at Hawthorn was attitude. Reputedly, he is doing very well in Tassie this year and the attitude has improved. He was the same draft as Gumby, without the injuries. That all said, Tassie isn't exactly even the VFL.

Reports are that he is playing as a mobile tall forward.

Depending on what we lose, could be an option with pick 100 odd if we want someone much more ready to step in that will take 3 years to develop. Can't remember too many top talls that went late in the draft, although there are some notable ones like Fevola.

Sam Lloyd (Frankston). We plucked Lloyd from the mornington peninsula league last year, giving him a handful of games late in the year for Bendigo. Impressed me in the elim final with some good marking and goal kicking. Signed with Frankston this year, bagging 38 goals, including a haul of seven and several 4’s. Kicked four in the vfl vs wafl state game. Only about 6 foot tall but “plays taller” (lol), very good overhead mark. Not the quickest player, but reminds me of Dickson in the sense that he seems to get where he needs to be. Cons are probably that in-between size for his playing style. Not entirely sure of a role at AFL, but imo he’ll be on a rookie list somewhere come December.

Morbid for OCD

Anyway, DUSCHER!

Sam Lloyd (Frankston). We plucked Lloyd from the mornington peninsula league last year, giving him a handful of games late in the year for Bendigo. Impressed me in the elim final with some good marking and goal kicking. Signed with Frankston this year, bagging 38 goals, including a haul of seven and several 4's. Kicked four in the vfl vs wafl state game. Only about 6 foot tall but "plays taller" (lol), very good overhead mark. Not the quickest player, but reminds me of Dickson in the sense that he seems to get where he needs to be. Cons are probably that in-between size for his playing style. Not entirely sure of a role at AFL, but imo he'll be on a rookie list somewhere come December.

I know Sam well. Before signing with Mt Eliza last season he played footy for the Deni Rams in the Murray League. In 2010 he kicked a 100 goals playing from the midfield and the year after played in a premiership team. Before that he went to boarding school and just played for the school. Footy has always been something he has just done and never took it too seriously until he got a chance at Bendigo last year.

His skills are fantastic, he kicks equally as well on each foot. Like Saladin I see his issue as finding a role in AFL footy. He is that inbetween size that can really dominate at state level but unfortunately I have my doubts if he can do it in the AFL. I would love it if we rookied him. 

Stupid new system. Sorry about the blank post. Anyway, to get started, two guys who are well known to everyone here. They've been the life of the party many times, and have a special place in everyone's hearts. Especially Benfti's. I give you Garlett and Tippa!

Garlett

The talent is not in question. That he fills needs for us is not in question. Exactly what is going on between the ears is. Was originally touted for top 10 in last year's draft and (as everyone here knows) failed to get picked at all. At the time there were rumours about what had or hadn't happened at training with our players, that the recruiters wanted him but the coaches didn't, that there were players with just as bad offences but less public ones that got drafted anyway. Frankly, most of us have no idea.

This year, the rumours just kept coming. Team mates said he trained well and has put his head down. Others have claimed he missed a meeting with Port officials because he was unwell. Some claim he'll go 2nd round this draft, others ponder that he may miss out altogether again.

For Essendon, its a special quandry. With our current issues, some say we can't risk more bad press. Others say with lost picks we have to gamble on someone who has got the talent. The fact he is exactly the type we need just adds more of a twist. That if we decide to get him - he may not be available.

Personally? I'd take the risk. Its not like we'll be losing a high pick on him.

Tippa!

Overlooked in the 2012 draft, I vaguely recall he was also available for the 2011 one? Dedication is not meant to be a problem, with him shedding a lot of weight in 2012. However, there are questions over his endurance, and whether he is exactly what we need. His best position is HBF, which frankly we have a few of. But is meant to be a good tackler and good disposal. Others will talk more on him no doubt, especially those who saw the VFL matches he played in.

Not really a main list prospect, but definitely someone we might consider for the rookie draft.

FWIW, i dont think his best position is the back flank, I certainly see him having an impact as a small forward.

If rolo could bring back from the archives last years tippa thread it could save me a hell of a lot of time.

I don’t know of many draftees that will be available at our picks.

Would Cameron Conlon be available? For memory he was rated as a mid range pick last year and he hasn’t quite come along since.

Nick Robertson is another who I thought was doing okay last year and has probably dropped away as well.

Matt farrelly ( Bendigo). Burst onto the scene in a “young guns” match last year. Defensive half back with good rebound run. Started this year very well, but seems to have tapered -might just be that Bendigo have been hammered all season and as one of few “known” players copped more attention. Despite kicking 8 goals, winderlich was very impressed with farrelly and told Aussie Jones after round 1 that the kid had AFL potential. In the second essendon/Bendigo match, we seemed to have Gleeson playing a defensive forward role on him. Notable mainly for the fact that I know Farrelly is/was on our radar. Keane has been along to watch him specifically a few times.

Having too many HBF's has never stopped us before.

Tippa is a must get. His improvement over the VFL season has been awesome; not only is he fitter but he understands positioning and what he needs to do for his given role. Ferocious tackler.

Speaking of rucks, Peeto/YT/WOB/Diggers/other WA'ers, have any of you seen much of Rory Lobb?

Saw him for the first time last week and looked the prototypical new type of ruck - lanky, looked to have good endurance and a reasonable leap, some of his tap work was very nice as well.

21 but first year in the WAFL system and seems to have held down #1 ruck at Swan Districts.

A ruck option.

I don't know of many draftees that will be available at our picks.
Would Cameron Conlon be available? For memory he was rated as a mid range pick last year and he hasn't quite come along since.
Nick Robertson is another who I thought was doing okay last year and has probably dropped away as well.

Conlon didn't play at all this year due to injury.  Someone told me what it was, but I've forgotten - leg injury of some sort I vaguely remember.  Originally he was scheduled to come back late in the season, but it never happened, not sure if there were complications or whether the Knights just decided to put the queue in the rack for him.  I suspect he'll end up going second-round ish to a club who has traded in to a bunch of picks around there and can afford to take a risk on one - bit like Callum Bartlett or Mitch Golby did.

Robertson has been injured a lot this year as well, though I know less about him.

Well, continuing on the theme that to start I'll mention guys people know. What about...

Mitchell Thorp

Ok, so unless a whole heap of our tall depth guys ask to leave, we clearly don't need another tall. But it is possible that 3-5 of Hardy, Pears, Gumby, Hooker, TB, Steinberg and Hooker might go for a variety of reasons. So what if we did need a spare depth tall? We certainly don't want to use our first (late) picks on them as the need is less than the midfield or small forwards. And probably less than the rucks.

Thorp is a possibility for a late pick. The talent was always good, but the main reason for the failure at Hawthorn was attitude. Reputedly, he is doing very well in Tassie this year and the attitude has improved. He was the same draft as Gumby, without the injuries. That all said, Tassie isn't exactly even the VFL.

Depending on what we lose, could be an option with pick 100 odd if we want someone much more ready to step in that will take 3 years to develop. Can't remember too many top talls that went late in the draft, although there are some notable ones like Fevola.

this is an interesting one. when he got back to south launny as cap coach he totally shook the club up - sent a heap packing and everyone thought, including me, he'd come down with the same attitude that saw him given the ■■■■ from the hawks.

hes had a pretty good couple of years, def not short on talent and hardness which justified his draft position. taken south from cellar dwellars to flag favourites. hes brought a lot of kids in an really given them confidence and galvanised the club - even though they are dropping out of the league at seasons end, but thats probably more to do with old mate Wades running of the show.

the only problem is those couple of years out of the big league plus the fact we are not short of forwards, misfiring as they are.

if not us will be a good pick up somewhere. i can see him at carlton. mm loves those second chance types.

Someone better informed may be able to correct me if I'm wrong but since Garlett was overlooked in last year's draft doesn't that make him a free agent?

If that is the case and the club believes his attitude has improved we should be putting a contract under his nose ASAP!!

Someone better informed may be able to correct me if I'm wrong but since Garlett was overlooked in last year's draft doesn't that make him a free agent?

If that is the case and the club believes his attitude has improved we should be putting a contract under his nose ASAP!!

No.

You're only a free agent if you get delisted, or if you've been on the list a certain number of years and are out of contract.

Blokes who were never drafted are not free agents - they have to be drafted as normal.

I reckon Mitch Thorp is a classic Tom Hislop.

All the talk about behaviour “issues” mask the fact that he’s also pretty crap.

See also: Nash, J.

Mitchell Thorp

this is an interesting one. when he got back to south launny as cap coach he totally shook the club up - sent a heap packing and everyone thought, including me, he'd come down with the same attitude that saw him given the ■■■■ from the hawks.

hes had a pretty good couple of years, def not short on talent and hardness which justified his draft position. taken south from cellar dwellars to flag favourites. hes brought a lot of kids in an really given them confidence and galvanised the club - even though they are dropping out of the league at seasons end, but thats probably more to do with old mate Wades running of the show.

the only problem is those couple of years out of the big league plus the fact we are not short of forwards, misfiring as they are.

if not us will be a good pick up somewhere. i can see him at carlton. mm loves those second chance types.

Pretty good assessment there. Only thing I'd add is that it's very hard to assess how ready someone would be for AFL coming from the TSL which truth be told is an extremely poor standard of football compared to the VFL/SANFL/WAFL. Has been a dominant player though.

Mitchell Thorp

Pretty good assessment there. Only thing I'd add is that it's very hard to assess how ready someone would be for AFL coming from the TSL which truth be told is an extremely poor standard of football compared to the VFL/SANFL/WAFL. Has been a dominant player though.

was taken in a very ordinary draft too which may have inflated his value.

not many get second chances these days.

EDIT: the reason this league is so ■■■■■ is how its managed. its all set up so its easier for the afl to find talent rather than getting of their ■■■■ and looking at the smaller leagues. our footy is is following our economy.