Dreams and their meanings

A reply to: @Windy Dill regarding QuoteLink

Paul McCartney wrote songs while dreaming. Once he woke up having composed "Yesterday", though he wrote down the lyrics after waking a bit differently. Instead of:

“Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away”

he wrote:
“Scrambled eggs, oh my darling how I love your legs”

I think he may have just come up with the melody in his dream, and wrote down some gibberish to remember the form, and worked out the lyrics later.

Must have had some crap dreams over the last 35 years

Quoted Post

A reply to: @Vinnie D regarding QuoteLink
A reply to: @brem06 regarding QuoteLink
As a teenager living at home, I had a recurring nightmare that I had aching, bleeding teeth and gums - unbearable pain, so real that I would wake up feeling quite distressed and confused.

Shortly after I moved out of home, I had the same nightmare - only this time, screaming and bawling, I pulled my own teeth out of my head - not one by one, but the whole lot at once.

Think this covered in blood, and that’s basically what I was holding in my hand. Unsettling.

Since then, I’ve never once had the teeth dream. I read somewhere that dreaming of teeth represents independence - so I sort of figured that the successful dream removal of my teeth was my subconscious move into finally becoming independent of my parents.

Wow. Seriously. I have a question and I'm not taking the p1ss. What are your teeth like?

Quite good actually. Just one filling. All in good order.

Once had a dentist tell me I had strong molars… I don’t know if that’s dentist speak for “You’ve got a pretty mouth, boy” or not.

I’ve had a few dreams about teeth, including one where I was actually at a footy ground near our house and for some reason they were falling out. I was a dentist regular as my mum was kind enough to spend several thousand on my teeth, but don’t have any fear of the dentist at all. Perhaps it had something to do with teeth grinding?

Once I dreamt that I was possessed (pretty sure I was anyway!). I remember it so vividly and woke up absolutely exhausted. Basically I was in my room and I looked at the wall and made this massive hole appear. Then my sister brought me a book, said something to me and the same theme continued with the hole. I was screaming my brains out, then I went downstairs and my mum was sitting on the arm chair and my dad was polishing silver (which we don’t have). I was trying to get their attention but they acted as though I wasn’t there. Never had a nightmare, but this was certainly my worst ever dream.

A reply to: @Incoming! regarding QuoteLink

whenever i have a meeting the next day that involves an early flight, or a holiday, I always dream of waking up that morning and starting the journey.

Then my alarm goes off…

I do similar, but I dream I’ve missed the appointment/flight and wake up in a panic. Repeatedly through the night.

Or if I have to wake up particularly early I wake up an hour before my already early alarm.

I dreamt I was flying last night. Wife said I woke her as I had a foot in the air and it caused the blankets to rise…

Quoted Post

I dreamt I was flying last night. Wife said I woke her as I had a foot in the air and it caused the blankets to rise..

I’m guessing your wife exaggerates.
It would have been nowhere near a foot…

I often dream that the saga is over only to wake and be disappointed it was only a dream

A reply to: @bomber_girl regarding QuoteLink

Quoted Post
As a teenager living at home, I had a recurring nightmare that I had aching, bleeding teeth and gums - unbearable pain, so real that I would wake up feeling quite distressed and confused.

Shortly after I moved out of home, I had the same nightmare - only this time, screaming and bawling, I pulled my own teeth out of my head - not one by one, but the whole lot at once.

Think this covered in blood, and that’s basically what I was holding in my hand. Unsettling.

Since then, I’ve never once had the teeth dream. I read somewhere that dreaming of teeth represents independence - so I sort of figured that the successful dream removal of my teeth was my subconscious move into finally becoming independent of my parents.

Wow. Seriously. I have a question and I'm not taking the p1ss. What are your teeth like?

Once had a dentist tell me I had strong molars… I don’t know if that’s dentist speak for “You’ve got a pretty mouth, boy” or not.

I’ve had a few dreams about teeth, including one where I was actually at a footy ground near our house and for some reason they were falling out. I was a dentist regular as my mum was kind enough to spend several thousand on my teeth, but don’t have any fear of the dentist at all. Perhaps it had something to do with teeth grinding?

Once I dreamt that I was possessed (pretty sure I was anyway!). I remember it so vividly and woke up absolutely exhausted. Basically I was in my room and I looked at the wall and made this massive hole appear. Then my sister brought me a book, said something to me and the same theme continued with the hole. I was screaming my brains out, then I went downstairs and my mum was sitting on the arm chair and my dad was polishing silver (which we don’t have). I was trying to get their attention but they acted as though I wasn’t there. Never had a nightmare, but this was certainly my worst ever dream.

Interesting. I’m curious. How would you define a nightmare then?

A reply to: @bomber_girl regarding QuoteLink
Quoted Post

Interesting. I’m curious. How would you define a nightmare then?

Being shitscared or in a panic when I woke up. I could be wrong, but it’s just how I see it.

Thread needs more Advice King ™

Scientists Induce Lucid Dreaming With Electrical Stimulation

May 13, 2014 | by Stephen Luntz

Dreams in which the sleeper knows they are dreaming and has some measure of control as to how the events pan out have been stimulated electrically, according to a new paper.

Lucid dreaming is the somewhat misleading name given to dreams where the dreamer is aware that they are in fact dreaming. They are not necessarily any clearer than other dreams, but the dreamer can often consciously control the course of the dream, making for a more intelligible experience.

References to what may be lucid dreaming go back more than 3000 years but the name originated in the late 19th Century. For almost a century the topic was treated with great suspicion. However, in the early 1980s PhD student Stephen Laberge had people who claimed to be able to lucidly dream move their eyes in a pre-agreed fashion while undergoing REM sleep, proving the phenomenon was real.

Since then there has been much enthusiasm from those who do not lucidly dream, or do so only occasionally, to find a way to experience it regularly. The success of Inception took this quest up a notch. However, many of the techniques proposed are unproven to say the least.

By publishing in Nature Neuroscience Dr Ursula Voss of the Johann Wolfgang Goethe University has put her claims in a different class, credibility-wise.

“Lucid dreaming is a very good tool to observe what happens in the brain and what is causally necessary for secondary consciousness,” says Voss. She has found that the brainwaves produced by people who subsequently report experiencing lucid dreams fall somewhere between those of REM-sleep and wakefulness. The frontal and temporal lobes of the brain, responsible for most of what we think of as higher thinking, show lower frequency gamma waves, 25-40Hz, thought to be associated with conscious attention.

While this may be of interest to sleep researchers, Voss’s work is reaching a wider audience since she and Professor J Allan Hobson of Harvard applied electrical stimulation to 27 participants hoping to replicate the same mixture of brainwaves. Voss and Hobson waited until their subjects were showing the signs of REM sleep to apply stimulation to the scalp at various frequencies double blinded from researchers and sleepers alike.

Despite the participants never having reported lucid dreaming before, when given pulses between 25 and 40Hz brain activity at the same frequency was observed. Higher and lower frequencies had no such effect. When woken 5-10 seconds later some of the subjects given the 25-40Hz reported having been aware that they were dreaming.

“The key finding is that you can, surprisingly, by scalp stimulation, influence the brain. And you can influence the brain in such a way that a sleeper, a dreamer, becomes aware that he is dreaming,” says Hobson. He considers the work of most relevance to psychiatric research adding, “As a model for mental illness, understanding lucid dreaming is absolutely crucial. I would be cautious about interpreting the results as of direct relevance to the treatment of medical illnesses, but [it’s] certainly a step in the direction of understanding how the brain manages to hallucinate and be deluded.” The authors see potential for lucid dreaming to help people with post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) or otherwise prone to nightmares to get their fears under control.

While Hobson’s thoughts may be on high minded uses, marketers will be rubbing their hands at the idea of sleeping caps that promise the capacity to dream our choice of dreams, creating temporary worlds each of us can rule.

Quoted Post

If you don't wanna dream (or at least remember them) smoke heaps of weed.

If you really want to dream vividly, smoke heaps of weed, and then quit cold Turkey.

If you want to go to crazy town on your dreams, go to sleep with a nicotine patch on.

youve lived man

when i was 7 or 8 years out of school with bugger all to show for it and all my mates were qualified and doing ok i used to dream i was back in school and not getting anywhere, failing tests etc. then i started my qualification and had a good first year and the dreams stopped. then i started going ■■■■, deferred, buggered off round the world and even though i had fun the dreams came back but this time they where worse like id failed all my pre tertiary or got 1 point or whatever it was back then. and i was like 30, and had to wear a uniform again. and everyone hated me. again.

then i came back and graduated and they stopped just like that.

i think theres something in that for all of us dont you

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
If you don't wanna dream (or at least remember them) smoke heaps of weed.

If you really want to dream vividly, smoke heaps of weed, and then quit cold Turkey.

If you want to go to crazy town on your dreams, go to sleep with a nicotine patch on.

youve lived man

I sure have, and with poor lung capacity.

Quoted Post

I think I started a thread like this here some 30 or 40 years ago. My friend's recurring dreams about a giraffe were the target of much derision :P

what computer did you use 40 years ago?

I know I was using a TRS80 from Tandy

Then there was the CINEFEX 8

swear that’s Sammy Newman…has to be

Yeah no doubt they may ‘mean’ something common for people that shared common experiences, in common environments and we commonly dream about them using common parts of our brains to produce ‘common dreams’. Not sure an African pygmy is going to dream about being inappropriately naked the same way I might.

The investigation that is worthy will be brain imaging/mapping. I did read an article the other day about the way all our brains store words and memories based on meaning and context in the same areas of the brain. They can now pinpoints where in the brain definitions of individual words are stored with amazing detail.Likewise concepts are clustered in very specific regions of the brain. The same parts of the brain fire up when people are thinking about sex, versus violence, versus conceptions of time.

Like all Geminis I don’t believe in astrology.

Seriously though, I don’t think such universal dream themes as inappropriately naked, haven’t studied for exams, losing teeth, going to event and lost in inescapable maze, can not mean anything.
Even if they don’t mean the things people say they mean, the fact that they’re so common across so many different people is interesting and worthy of thought/investigation.

personally I find dream interpretation of dream scene of X= Y thing in your life to be about as sound stating the position of various constellations on your birth day determining the kind of day you’ll have.

I’m a Leo by the way so I can say that ■■■■.

I don't buy into all dreams meaning something, but I do find the standard ones interesting and I think the explanations for them make sense. For more bizarre things it helps to think in metaphor and if that doesn't work then focusing on the subject of the dream, whether that's a person or a place or whatever, can give some insight.

FWIW the explanation for a dream of being naked in an inappropriate place is a fear of being unprepared.
The back to school and its five minutes til exams and you haven’t studied is regret at how something went and the desire to be able to do it over. That doesn’t have to be about school, although it can be, but it’s more likely a recent event that you’re worrying about even if only at the back of your mind.
Losing teeth, no matter how it happens, is a fear of aging.
The sinking ship is interesting. Using the metaphor tool I guess you’d suggest that something is failing but you’ll survive it.

Edit: just noticed I made this same post over a year ago. Am I dreaming?

I thought this was ‘supposed’ to mean that you were coming into money or had money on your mind?

Probably explains why I keep having these dreams and I’m still broke AF.

I’m sure there are many different interpretations, I’m just going with the little that I’ve read on the subject, and then the little of that that seemed legit.

I find when you come across the right answer it just fits, so really you’d need to tell me whether it’s a concern about money or a concern about aging. Could be both, of course, but I think one would seem more right than the other.

But mostly I think people overthink dreams. The detail of them rather than the theme.
‘My friend kept filling my house up with frogs and my house was made of ice cream and the frogs kept eating it all! What do the frogs mean?’
They don’t mean anything. Your friend is ■■■■■■■ you off.

I don't buy into all dreams meaning something, but I do find the standard ones interesting and I think the explanations for them make sense. For more bizarre things it helps to think in metaphor and if that doesn't work then focusing on the subject of the dream, whether that's a person or a place or whatever, can give some insight.

FWIW the explanation for a dream of being naked in an inappropriate place is a fear of being unprepared.
The back to school and its five minutes til exams and you haven’t studied is regret at how something went and the desire to be able to do it over. That doesn’t have to be about school, although it can be, but it’s more likely a recent event that you’re worrying about even if only at the back of your mind.
The sinking ship is interesting. Using the metaphor tool I guess you’d suggest that something is failing but you’ll survive it.

Mandela effect.

I thought this was ‘supposed’ to mean that you were coming into money or had money on your mind?

Probably explains why I keep having these dreams and I’m still broke AF.