Dreamtime Guernsey designed by Gavin Wanganeen

I like it!

To be fair, my initial reaction was “who the bleep is Norm Le Brun?!?”
My first thought was the red haired Geelong player whose jaw Leigh Matthew broke must have been French, Neville Le Bruns.

To be fair, my initial reaction was “who the bleep is Norm Le Brun?!?”

http://forever.collingwoodfc.com.au/players/norm-le-brun/

The AFL had long believed that the well-liked, much-travelled Norm Le Brun was the first Aboriginal player to represent the Collingwood Football Club, placing him on a list of “known Indigenous players.”

But some recent genealogical research from Kate Wastie, the grand-daughter of Le Brun’s first cousin, has uncovered that the former Magpie rover had a very different heritage than assumed,

Wastie’s extensive research has revealed that Le Brun is almost certainly not indigenous, but from a mix of backgrounds, including from Cape Verde, an archipelago off the west coast of Africa; from Jamaica; from Scotland and from the Channel Isles, Jersey.

“I’m not sure where the story started that Norm was indigenous,” Kate Wastie said. “It could have been because of the colour of his skin, I don’t know.

“There would not have been too many migrants into Australia from countries outside of the UK and Europe in those days.

“I suspected for a while that Norm might have been indigenous until I started doing some research into the family.”

Guessing the jumper was designed before the start of the year, so minus TIPPA and Stokes and Le Brun makes 23.

Side note: at least some of those games played are wrong (Dale Kickett = 8 senior games for us).

Thanks DJR, appreciate the education.

Bought one for my 196 cm son… Looks great.

The AFL had long believed that the well-liked, much-travelled Norm Le Brun was the first Aboriginal player to represent the Collingwood Football Club, placing him on a list of “known Indigenous players.”

But some recent genealogical research from Kate Wastie, the grand-daughter of Le Brun’s first cousin, has uncovered that the former Magpie rover had a very different heritage than assumed,

Wastie’s extensive research has revealed that Le Brun is almost certainly not indigenous, but from a mix of backgrounds, including from Cape Verde, an archipelago off the west coast of Africa; from Jamaica; from Scotland and from the Channel Isles, Jersey.

“I’m not sure where the story started that Norm was indigenous,” Kate Wastie said. “It could have been because of the colour of his skin, I don’t know.

“There would not have been too many migrants into Australia from countries outside of the UK and Europe in those days.

“I suspected for a while that Norm might have been indigenous until I started doing some research into the family.”

Guessing the jumper was designed before the start of the year, so minus TIPPA and Stokes and Le Brun makes 23.

Side note: at least some of those games played are wrong (Dale Kickett = 8 senior games for us).

I have a question about this guernsey. In the official blurb on the club website it states that the players are represented as U shapes and that the represent the 23 Indigenous players to have donned the sash. Far be it from me to think I know more than the club about who has played for them, but by my reckoning we have had

Courtney Dempsey (122)
Michael Long (190)
Dean Rioli (100)
Che Cockatoo-Collins (85)
Gavin Wanganeen (127)
Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti (8)
Andrew Lovett (88)
Nathan Lovett-Murray (145)
Alwyn Davey (100)
Shaun Edwards (9)
Leroy Jetta (93)
Richard Cole (7)
Jarryd Atkinson (17)
Patrick Ryder (170)
Mark Wiliams (4)
Willie ■■■■ (7)
Matthew Stokes (6)
Dale Kickett (7)
Derek Kickett (77)
Norm Le Brun (23)
Shawn Lewfatt (3)
Norm McDonald (128)
Cory McGrath (28)
Justin Murphy (40)
Lachlan Ross (2)
Russell Williams (3)

Anthony Long (0)
Jake Long (0)
Yestin Eades (0)

By that count 26 have donned the sash with a further two on the list waiting for the chance to play a game and one who made it to the list but was cut before playing a game.

Benfti or anyone else with a good grasp of our clubs indigenous history, could you confirm if these figures are correct or not?

Yep, like.

Reckon we’re a sneaky chance !

Really like that. Also love the face that Wanganeen is in the fold.

You won’t see too many better beards than C Dempsey’s.

not bad but last year’s was better.

Really like that. Also love the face that Wanganeen is in the fold.

I still love Gavin and always makes me happy seeing him in our club colours.

Pretty sure he didn’t sport a beard last year.

That is one cool Dreamtime jumper! Wanga broke my heart when he left for Port, but time, and my own experience living away from home in Perth and getting that feeling of homesickness and wanting to come back to Melbourne, healed the pain. He was a champ!

I don’t generally care when players leave. Wanganeen hurt though.

TAKE MY MONEY!

Generally looks good, but I’m not a fan of the pink edges on the sash.

Our colours are red and black. We pushed for years to get a clash jumper that only had red and black, with no grey. Now pink makes an appearance?

Generally looks good, but I'm not a fan of the pink edges on the sash.

Our colours are red and black. We pushed for years to get a clash jumper that only had red and black, with no grey. Now pink makes an appearance?

All the talk about our sash being untouchable has been a bit of a crock since the “seat belt” sash.

Whats with the pink anyway?

And yeah, fark port

I’d say as the red has black running through it, the sash wasn’t prominent enough. They probably tried a red line but decided on pink to make the sash sit right and stand out.*

*talking out of my ■■■■, but could be right