Dumb Questions Amnesty

Did you give your kid brandy again?

2 Likes

Nah. She’s a mean drunk.

3 Likes

You’re never alone when you have Blitz.

6 Likes

If you are drinking alone and you don’t post in the What Annoys Me thread, then you’re really letting the side down.

3 Likes

I thought it was something to do with the potato on top of the pie. Shepherds pie has fluffy mashed potato on top that is supposed to be like sheep. Cottage pie has sliced potatoes on top like shingles of a cottage.

1 Like

Wow. Learn sumpin everyday on Blitz!

My Plumber is starting to get like that I think when thinking about it since he now went out on his own last year he was working for a company and was cheap (paid $100 for 4 washer replacement in the bathroom as they were eroded)

Now he charged $110 for 2 washers in a bathroom since he went out on his own.

I am all for loyalty, but if his prices keep going up, I will look elsewhere. Even though I recommended him locally when people ask.

Yanks and their measurements.

For weight, I’ve seen them do pounds but also use decimals. How does that even work?

Yeah Nah, Shepherds Pie is made with lamb, Cottage Pie with beef. Cottage pie actually predates Shephers Pie and came about around the time potatoes were being introduced in the UK, because they were affordable for peasants, many of whom would live in cottages.

2 Likes

Way to spoil the romance of the ‘peaked roofs & slated gables’, Darli.

Romance! Bah Humbug!

1 Like

dem pie facts … from the pukka tukka guy.

Let’s start with a fairly well-known one: there is a difference between “cottage pie” and “shepherd’s pie”, and it’s in the meat. Shepherd’s pie should only be named as such if it contains lamb, and “cottage” usually applies to one made with beef.
The name “cottage” was applied to this kind of meat pie around the time potatoes were being introduced in the UK, because they were an affordable for thing for peasants, many of whom would live in cottages, to eat. It seems a bit convoluted but hey, we’re always an odd bunch with our etymology.
The term “cottage pie” predates “shepherd’s” by nearly a century, but each was used synonymously with the other for a long time.
The Chilean version of “pastel de papa”, a dish similar to shepherd’s pie eaten in many parts of the world, also contains hard-boiled eggs, raisins and black olives.
The same dish in France is named “hachis Parmentier”, after the Frenchman who convinced his country to eat potatoes. “Hachis”, which takes its root from the English word “hatchet”, means a dish containing chopped or minced ingredients.
According to the Oxford Companion to Food, once upon a time, Scotland made its shepherd’s pies with pastry instead of mashed potatoes.
Indian cooks once considered shepherd’s pie to be a perfect dish for tiffin (a word used to mean a light snack in British India).
Many vegetarians and vegans call a meat-free version a “shepherdless” pie. Although Jamie’s vegetarian shepherd’s pie, with lentils and sweet potato, doesn’t keep the name, it’s an absolutely killer recipe and we’d recommend it to everyone.
Topping the potato crust with breadcrumbs actually turns your dish into a “Cumberland pie”.
Although variations of this dish crop up throughout history, no name for it came into use until the introduction of the mincing machine. Before that, the meat would have to be chopped by hand, or made from leftovers.

I tried to get the corn they top the Chilean dish, pastel de choclo, when I was at Casa Iberica in Fitzroy a fortnight ago, but no go.

That’s pretty much cottage pie but with a corn topping. They reckon our creamed corn is too sweet.

Are the individual ice-creams you get prepackaged at the corner store, bigger than their counterparts that are packed in bulk at Woolies?

We bought some Drumsticks from Woolies and when we opened the box they looked half the size (we didn’t purchase the mini’s)… Not sure if I am imagining it or not as I remember them being massive when I purchased them back as a kid from the corner store.

Don’t think boxed is smaller than singles, but I think over the years Drumsticks may have gotten slightly smaller. However most things seemed bigger when we were kids, cause we were smaller.

1 Like

Does anyone remember BIG Charlie? They were once a huge stick of chewing gum. I haven’t seen them in years, but I’m not surprised, … the last time I did, they were half the size they were when I was a kid, . so they probably just kept shrinking until they totally disappeared.

250 gram chips became 200, … then 175, … & now sometimes 160, … or even 150!

Everythings getting smaller as time goes on, … well, everything but my mid section …:frowning:

1 Like

It’s called the ‘Wagon Wheel Effect’.

1 Like

So if I stop eating Wagon Wheels then, . I can expect the return of the six pack in, … what?? 6 weeks? :wink:

That is taking the idea of a “Dumb Questions Amnesty” way too far!

1 Like

Eat…the Wagon Wheel

3 Likes