Dumb Questions Amnesty

She could’ve just fainted because she was in Horsham.

5 Likes

She was lucky, I guess.
Horsham’s the sort of place that’ll look after you when your car breaks down 20 kilometres away.

2 Likes

:joy:

That was Dimboola!

3 Likes

7/11 and a hip flask of vodka?

1 Like

A loose jaw will get you knocked out pretty quickly.
Clench, and ride the direction of the hit, as well as all the other obvious stuff.

Can anyone please tell me if/how we as members receive a discount from sponsors?
Fujitsu in particular.

Off slightly but don’t use coldflow. Useless constantly changing staff.

Hands up if you’ve been to a game and your friend asks how many quarters there are.

1 Like

There used to be a page on the EFC website that showed special offers (but I can’t find it). I get regular emails promoting member offers from the sponsors. Can’t recall the most recent one from Fujitsu but I got one.

Thanks, Hoff.
Too late, anyway - just bought an air-conditioner. Used Fujitsu because they are sponsors regardless.

4 Likes

What are the benefits of having a sauna?

Being more attractive to Swedes??

Detoxification seems to be the main benefit.

Far Infrared appears to be a superior Sauna experience, and is explained here…

http://healthspaceclinics.com.au/blog/the-many-benefits-of-far-infrared-saunas

Didn’t watch “The Truth About Your Health” on SBS the other night then?

The “Infra Red Sauna” was just one of the Detox methods debunked.

sbs.com.au

No. Detoxing isn’t actually a thing | The Truth About Your Health

By Yasmin Noone 11 Jan 2018

If only there was a quick and easy way that we could atone for our indulgent sins of overeating and under-exercising throughout the silly season.

‘How about a seven day liver, colon and kidney detox?’ we hear you cry as you reach for a celebrity-endorsed method to rid your body of seasonal guilt and harmful toxins.

As explored in the new television series The Truth About Your Health starting on SBS on 11 January at 8.35pm, these detoxes last anywhere from a few days to months. Creative and varied, detox plans range from old school lemon juicing diets to electromagnetic therapy and vaginal steaming regimes (you can thank Gwyneth Paltrow for that one).

Alas. Although your favourite celebrity might support the claims made by the latest detox program, health experts – the people we should be getting health advice from – say there’s really no such thing as an evidence-based ‘detox’ plan that scientifically delivers detoxifying results.

“We really don’t need to buy things to detox our body.”

Director of McGill University’s Office for Science and Society (USA), Dr Joe Schwarcz is suspicious of most detox programs purely because they claim a result without producing rigorous scientific evidence of an outcome.

“What are the chemicals you are removing [with your detox program]?” asks Dr Schwarcz in episode one of The Truth About Your Health, airing tonight and available to watch after broadcast on SBS On Demand.

“Where is the evidence that you are removing it?

“[Detox advocates] have this image that the human body is some complicated system of pipes that needs to be periodically rinsed through and that juicing does that,” says Dr Schwarcz. “But that is just not the way that these things work.”

Spokesperson for the Dietitians Association of Australia, Simone Austin explains that most detoxes don’t work because our bodies already have in-built ‘self-cleaning’ systems that are doing the job for us. Remember, she says, the purpose of our lungs, nasal hairs, skin, lymph nodes, liver and kidneys is to rid our bodies of foreign chemicals.

“Whenever someone mentions the phrase ‘detox’, I cringe because people tend to be putting their hands in their wallets to spend on quick health fixes when our bodies already have numerous abilities to detox anyway,” says Austin, an Accredited Practising Dietitian.

“We really don’t need to buy things to detox our body.”

One popular detox program is a liver detox. Austin warns that these plans achieve little.

“The liver has to constantly deal with alcohol as it comes into the body. It doesn’t store alcohol so it continually works to remove it. So there is no quick way to speed up your alcohol metabolism.”

Perhaps the best part of a liver detox is the recommended period of alcoholic abstinence that goes with the plan – but you don’t need to spend money to stop drinking alcohol.

A green detox drink from parsley, arugula and spinach: A healthy drink or a miracle detox cure-all?

As for juicing diets, Austin says they won’t perform any miracles. “We are told to eat more fruit and vegetables, not to drink more.”

She recommends that vegetable juices be consumed with the pulp, which is full of fibre and advises people to steer away from drinking too much fruit juice.

“We are told to eat more fruit and vegetables, not to drink more.”

“If you just have juices for a short period of time, then that is okay. But if you are having juices for most of your meals over the long-term then you are probably missing out on nutrients like iron, calcium, fatty acids and Vitamin B which you will get from other food groups found in nuts, seeds, wholegrain breads and meats.”

But it’s not all bad news, post-silly season.

Austin reassures those Australians who usually maintain a moderate eating and exercise plan that their recent Christmas indulgences won’t ruin their health.

Our body’s detox systems will work through the recently consumed booze and processed foods. Then, once we return to our usual healthy lifestyles, our bodies should return to their normal state.

“Rather than trying to fix our bodies with detoxes, what we need to do is prevent putting [toxins] inside our bodies in the first place,” says Austin.

“Make sure you have a diet that does not include a lot of processed foods or additives. Eat mostly lean meats, wholegrain cereals, seeds, nuts and lots of fruit and vegetables. And think about washing fruit and vegetables before you cook them.”

Watch new health documentary series, The Truth About Your Health, starting on SBS on 11 January at 8.35pm. Each episode will be available to watch on SBS On Demand after broadcast.

3 Likes

Not saying I’m a proponent of Far Infrared Sauna necessarily (only had 2 or 3 treatments of it before), but it was certainly an enjoyable experience, and I believe that some physiological benefits would be had.

I haven’t watched the SBS Program yet.

We have a sauna here in the hotel room. In there for around 40 minutes but can’t say I’m healthier for it.

Yeah, I enjoy a sauna, and there may well be some Health Benefits, just that Detoxing is not one of them, as is widely believed/promoted.

This is a good article with all the facts …

1 Like

After reading that, I’m gittin’ me a sauna.

Dehydration mostly.

According to that Finnish study, don’t get ■■■■■■ within 24 hours of taking a sauna.