Dumb Questions Amnesty

Bit short notice this time but I’ve always wanted to see Bruny Island! Might save that one for the next special occasion.

1 Like

Why are planets ‘round’? It’s all a bit too convenient for my liking.

1 Like

Wow.
Ahm…
Look…
go ask your father

3 Likes

Gravity & stuff.

1 Like

I wanna say…centrifugal force?
But that sounds made up.

isostatic adjustment

Wouldn’t they be shaped not spherical?

The term you want is centripetal force.

2 Likes

Are you calling planets fat? :earth_asia:

1 Like

ALL PLANETS ARE BEAUTIFUL.

2 Likes

Big Beautiful Worlds?

They’re not always, earth for eg is shorter and fatter (along the north-south axis).

Get a Smith’s angaston from the Barossa, if you can. They make it in fairly limited batches but it’s sometimes available through Dan murphy’s (but I don’t think it’s ever on the shelves). Lark make some good stuff too, but the Angaston I had was super cinnamon-ey.

I reckon aging is a bit over rated. There’s some great 5yo whiskies and some average 21yo ones. It’s generally what you pay for though. My experience only

1 Like

There’s a 22km difference between the two axes. That’s frick all on a radius of 6,356km.

It’s interesting though, the bigger the planet, the greater the gravitational pull towards the centre, but the faster the planet spins, the more it stretches and bulges along the equator.

Ok, so this got me thinking though. The moon. It’s spherical, which means it must’ve (?) had a gravitational pull strong enough to make a sphere, but now it barely has any gravity. Maybe there’s still enough to pull everything towards the centre in zero G space.

In these matters, think carefully about ‘time’.

Huh?
It has the same gravity as here… it’s a direct function of the mass of the two objects*: the moon is just a lot smaller than the earth.

*and distance between them.

Earth is 1G

Moon is 0.16G

F=GMm/r^2

M is different and r is different.

The Glendive is a very nice drop. Highly recommend it.

1 Like

Darn auto correct!