Dumb Questions Amnesty

Has anyone mentioned Dwight Falls yet?

1 Like

2 Likes

Why is google pronounced like poodle, rather than like googie-egg or booger ?
ie gŹŠgle

John gŹŠgled. Betty gŹŠgled. Elizabeth ate a googie.

Because itā€™s named afterā€¦

1 Like

Dude ran a bit late, but on the whole, would recommend.
@TwoDogs

Cheers mate. Iā€™ll give them a try then. Appreciate it.

How many years old were you when you learned that the ā€œ0ā€ and ā€œ|ā€ on power switches was binary (1=on, 0=off)?

I was today years old.

3 Likes

I would have been able to infer it when I first learnt binary, back in 1969.

Is Bert newton dead?

About 20 years ago

I tried to learn binary, ā€¦ but I always put in One Zero too manyā€¦

Something about plastic being in Nature, . in Beehives, ā€¦ in Honey,
ā€¦ and Bees needing to actually make their own hives.
Farking with the natural order (some would/will say ā€œvibrationsā€) of the most fundamental life sustaining organism on the planet. A creature already under threat through many other greedy profiteering entities and practices, . etc etc.

Itā€™s big on the Google if you want to get the nitty gritty.

NB: Sorry, ā€¦ missed that post earlier.

1 Like

Test, ā€¦ Footy, ā€¦ Storm V Broncos, ā€¦ Walker Texas Ranger Marathon, ā€¦??? :thinking:

If itā€™s not too indelicateā€¦
I was wondering what it was about Indian and English languages that makes Indian people misuse the phrase ā€˜isnā€™t it.ā€™
As in, ā€˜Everyone went to the football, isnā€™t it.ā€™

Itā€™s kind of striking.

1 Like

I found this:

"The reason for that is the direct translation of the ā€œisnā€™t itā€ from Hindi.

Consider this:

The sentence " You were home yesterday, werenā€™t you ?" when translated to Hindi, would be written as ā€œą¤¤ą„ą¤® ą¤•ą¤² ą¤…ą¤Ŗą¤Øą„‡ ą¤˜ą¤° ą¤Ŗą¤° ą¤„ą„‡, ą¤¹ą„ˆ ą¤Øą¤¾?ā€

The ā€œą¤¹ą„ˆ ą¤Øą¤¾ā€ part directly translates to "isnā€™t it " in English. But unlike Hindi, in English, the tag question is formed by using the first auxiliary in the main sentence.

The Hindi speakers, therefore, take a bit of time to get used to the different rule(some never do) for forming a tag question in English, and use ā€œisnā€™t itā€ in all cases."

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-Indian-english-speakers-ask-isnt-it-so-much

4 Likes

One of my best friends does thisā€¦ I thought it was just him!

1 Like

Ok cricket question.

Does swing refer to sideways movement in the air (my understanding), or deviation off the pitch (what Iā€™d refer to more as ā€œcuttingā€)?

They were just talking about the ball not swinging so much on the pitches the English ordered this year (they apparently ordered the same spec as last year), but I thought swing would be dependent on the moisture in the air, air pressure, bowlers grip and rough shiny seam angle etc, not the bit of ground underneath.

I reckon Iā€™ve misunderstood this somehow, so help me out.

I think your thinking is correct.
Perhaps the pitches arenā€™t as dry and coarse as previously and donā€™t scrape up the ball as much?

1 Like

Swing/Drift is ball movement in the air
Seam/Cut/Spin is ball movement off the pitch

1 Like