Dustin Fletcher, our hero hangs up his cape

possibly the best person ever.

apologies to mick ellis.

Dreading the day he retires. I miss him already.

His laid back and laconic nature fits perfectly with TD from the previous generation and Heppell from the current generation.

Remember the Carlton draw when Winders and Demps went down in the first qtr a couple of years back, I have never seen one man repel so many forward thrusts and whenever I think about the Gartlett run down I still get emotional.

Remember the Carlton draw when Winders and Demps went down in the first qtr a couple of years back, I have never seen one man repel so many forward thrusts and whenever I think about the Gartlett run down I still get emotional.

"We showed alot of courage that day" - B Ratten (yes, he was referring to Carlton, not Essendon)

Fletch - a true champion. So good, so modest/unassuming. It will be a very sad day when he finally hangs up the boots..... Hopefully one of his sons will be able to step into them!

Hope you have a great year Fletch.

His dad may be a teacher, but he forget to school Dustin on obeying the laws of physics.

Didn't know either were into Star Trek....

"We showed alot of courage that day" - B Ratten (yes, he was referring to Carlton, not Essendon)

Ha, trying to save his neck I suppose, I think Carlton went into that game pretty strong favorites aswell.

Too thin to play AFL.

3 fun facts

I saw him in Moonee Ponds Coles on Saturday morning near the bread counter.

I also saw his Dad play Under-19s finals in 1966 (wearing #10 at full-back in our premiership side).

He lives in the house my great-grandmother lived in until she died in the early 1950s. She had hair on her chin, a single tooth and wasn't partial to Catholics, one of whom my grandfather married.

You're so Essendon.

You're so Essendon. OLD

FIXED

A short "Wki history"

Dustin Andrew Fletcher (born 7 May 1975) is an Australian rules footballer with the Essendon Football Club. He is known as one of the finest defenders in the history of the Australian Football League

AFL career: 1993–present

Fletcher was recruited by the Bombers in the 1992 AFL Draft, he played his first game for Essendon against rivals Carlton in his senior year of high school, attending Penleigh and Essendon Grammar School.

Fletcher was a member of Essendon's 1993 premiership team in his first AFL season, a team which is commonly referred to as the "Baby Bombers". He also played in the club's 2000 premiership win, a season in which he received the Crichton Medal.

Fletcher and his father, Ken, currently hold the record for the most VFL/AFL games played by a father and son, with 642 games between them. He played his 300th AFL game in Round 5, 2009, against Collingwood.

Fletcher overtook a long-standing record of 320 AFL games held by ■■■■ Reynolds in Round 9, 2010, which gave him the second most games for the Essendon Football Club. He currently shares the outright record of 378 AFL games with Simon Madden.

Fletcher also holds the record of being the most watched AFL footballer of all time, with a cumulative attendance of 18,271,064 spectators at matches in which he has played from 1993 to 2013. He played his 350th AFL match in Round 3, 2012, against the Gold Coast Suns.

At 38 (as of September 2013), Fletcher is currently the oldest player in the AFL and is also the only player remaining from Essendon's 1993 and 2000 premiership sides still playing. He played his 21st AFL season in 2013 after signing a one year contract.

Fletcher will continue at Essendon for a 22nd season, having signed a one-year contract to play in 2014.

And a nice positive article from the Hun.

Essendon‘s Dustin Fletcher says AFL still fun as he prepares to break games record
  • Ben Broad

736884-d73b2862-ae1f-11e3-bf6a-6ec13e402

Dustin Fletcher is 20 years older than some of his teammates. Picture Wayne Ludbey Source: News Limited

ESSENDON veteran Dustin Fletcher says playing at the highest level is still fun despite the game‘s drastic evolution across his 21-year career.

Speaking on the eve of the Bombers‘ season opener against North Melbourne — in which Fletcher will take sole ownership of the club‘s games record when he plays his 379th premiership match — the defender said his milestone match would mean a lot not only to himself but those close to him.

“To be in the game for so long and obviously play for Essendon for over 21 years, it means a lot to me,” he told SEN on Tuesday morning.

“But not only me, it‘s more for the people, you know the family, the fans and I suppose just footy in general.”

Fletcher, who will turn 39 this season, has currently played 378 AFL matches — equal with former Essendon great Simon Madden.

He made his debut as a schoolboy back in 1993 and has proved one of the most durable players of the modern era.

And he said he still enjoyed life as an AFL footballer, even if things had changed from those early days.

“Yeah it is still fun, there‘s no doubt about that,” Fletcher said.

“I think at times it challenges you mentally.

“It‘s that professional now. You‘re measured in everything you actually do — how far you run, how quick you run, how you‘ve got to train.

“You feel like a bit of a robot at times when you‘ve got to go through it but (having) 40 young blokes around you with a good story to tell and what they get up to on weekends, it‘s a pretty fun sport.”

The youngest players on Essendon‘s list are a generation younger than Fletcher, something not lost on the veteran when he sits around the locker room.

“There‘s no doubt at times (with) the topic of conversation, I‘ve just got to sit back or shut my mouth because I‘m not sure what they‘re talking about,” he said.

“But they‘re good young kids and obviously we‘ve got a few older ones in there as well.

“There is a bit of a difference, but I still enjoy being around the boys and I‘m a little bit immature at times as well.”

As for his 2014 preparations, the ever-reliable Fletcher is buoyed after a much-needed break at the end of last season and a solid summer.

“To be honest I knocked up a bit through the groins last year and got a little bit sore, so I sort of wanted to go away and have a good break and I did that and was off my feet for a good while.

“I‘ve done my prescribed 92 per cent of my training over the pre-season, so the body‘s good and I just want to start playing now.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/essendons-dustin-fletcher-says-afl-still-fun-as-he-prepares-to-break-games-record/story-fni5f6kv-1226857737251

Freak of nature! The best game I've seen from him was up at the Gabba in 2000. His skills in the wet were amazing. I love him!

I was at that game, was a tremendous night out.

Best full back I have ever seen.

Incredible that he is playing with players who weren't even born when he debuted.

The fact he played with 2 father and son combinations (thought it was 3 but have gone blank on the 3rd)

Someone will have the stats on how many players he has played against who weren't born when he debuted and also played against both the father and son (would be a few)

Is he the only player to play against 18 teams? At one club obviously, there will be a few who have played against 18 teams in the past 2-3 years.

Played alongside Tim and Jobe Watson, Anthony and Joe Daniher and you could also throw in Anthony and Darcy Daniher. That gives three combinations although only two fathers.

Ken Fletcher played alongside Tim Watson who played alongside Dustin Fletcher who plays alongside Jobe Watson. Dustin is the generational link.

Not as tall as he looks on telly.

I know you're tall, but I think the opposite. When I read that he was 196cm I was shocked, I thought he'd be a bit smaller than that.

Not as tall as he looks on telly.

I know you're tall, but I think the opposite. When I read that he was 196cm I was shocked, I thought he'd be a bit smaller than that.

It's his gait. His head looks ready to fall off, it tilts that far forward. Probably sick of his mum telling him to stand up straight.

Tall  who can play small, Phil Matera can vouch for that. He has done it all, including having his teeth knocked out against the WEagles and playing on. lf he plays on next year, which now looks likely, he would become the first active player to turn 40, he could also become the first player to be watched by over 20 million people. Then he could go to the States and have a second career as a punter, before coming back to become a defensive coach at Essendon.  

Legend? Absobloodylutely.