Dustin Fletcher, our hero hangs up his cape

Safe to say they knew he was retiring before this week.

Theres only so much an essendon fan can take…what a horrid year. Long live gadget.

I turn 40 in December. Was at his 1st game which was an incredible day with the Carlton draw and Metallica/Kyuss at the “tennis centre” back then as a 17 year old.

Just missed out playing again him in the 1993 Herald Sun School Boys comp when my Chanel boys lost to Assumption (coached by Brendan McCartney and had Brad Johnson in the team).

The only player in the team older than me. Has kept me feeling young. I’m going to miss watching him play more than Watson, Madden, Long, Hird, Lloyd, Van der Haar, wanganeen, smoking Joe, salmon, the Lot of them.

The last 3 years have been painful, this trumps them profoundly. Thanks for all the amazing memories Duzzy!!

I’m sure going to miss screaming “have a shot fletch” even when he was 100 meters away from goal.

A true champion on and off the field. I sure as heck hope this superstars name is never tainted as a cheat by WADA. He never deserves anything bad said about him ever!!!

Congratulations Fletch on a stellar career. He needs no acknowledgement from anyone. He always let his footy do the talking.

Not sure what to think about this. Every post a winner? More dollars than sense?? Over the top, .. or Ok Coz it's Fletch?

Not into this stuff as a rule, but if there’s one thing to have on the wall, it would be the photo board of the big moments, but how it’s worth $700 dollarinos, I can’t quite figure.

Jeez I hope Fletch gets a cut.

This just caps off probably the shittest year i reckon we’ve had. Cant thank the great man enough for his commitment

Being up the grog squad end when he nailed that goal from 60 on anzac day this year is my favourite essendon memory. Will never forget it

All the best fletch

What a pleasure to have this guy at EFC it was. At my age I hardly know Essendon before Fletch, a champ, will never forget the Instant rising of the crowd when fletch got the ball 70 from home, and when he converted, the extended clapping sessions were gold. Thanks Fletch.

An out and out legend.
Thanks for the memories Fletch.

For a long period he was the most important player in the side. Things were so much tougher if he missed a game.
Thanks Fletch, it’s been fun.

It’s all been said! Thanks for the memories. Truly one of natures gentlemen. Good luck Fletch.

Fletch, thanks for all the great entertainment and football memories over your journey…which I’m confident will continue in another guise.

You are an integral part of this Club’s fabric and I expect to see you at pre-season training revving up our backline boys for 2016.

So when are we drafting his son?

When its all been said about the man known as Fletch and done, a man of a few words, was a no frills footballer, who always let his footy do the talking. Congratulations Fletch on making it to 400 games.

Does this mean we play Port 22 times next year?

Any word on whether there will be any fletch celebrations tomorrow?

Any word on whether there will be any fletch celebrations tomorrow?

i’ll be throwing collingwood ■■■■■ from the top deck in celebration.

I think it’s a wank to name your children after celebs but if my 2nd born was a boy it was going to be Fletcher after the great man. We had a girl. Anyway, fave moment is his run down of Garlett against the Blues in 2011, I think it was. Fark Carlton. Go Dusty!

I think it's a wank to name your children after celebs but if my 2nd born was a boy it was going to be Fletcher after the great man. We had a girl. Anyway, fave moment is his run down of Garlett against the Blues in 2011, I think it was. Fark Carlton. Go Dusty!

knew a girl called fletcher.

Well, this might be officially the lowest ebb I’ve ever seen at this club. Somehow after all the horrible things that have happened, I guess it is appropriate this is happening. One by one, everything I know about Essendon is fading into memory.

I guess the slate is now fully 100% being wiped clean now that there won’t be #31 there.

We might not ever see someone play at a high level for 22 years again… that’s unheard of in almost any contact sport, let alone one which requires the fitness that this game does.

We’ve had Fletchers in the team every decade since the 60s. Ken was there from the 60s to the 80s and Dustin took it from the 90s to now. I’ll miss his magnificent long straight kicking more than anything. How fitting that a descendant of fletchers could fire a ball off with such precision.