Dustin Fletcher, our hero hangs up his cape

Please sign up to Fletch thankyou card from us fans. Fletch would love this and will pass onto the club soon. Already over 1,000 signed but there are heaps more. Takes 20 seconds

Signed. Great initiative Scooter!

I think it's a wank to name your children after celebs but if my 2nd born was a boy it was going to be Fletcher after the great man. We had a girl. Anyway, fave moment is his run down of Garlett against the Blues in 2011, I think it was. Fark Carlton. Go Dusty!

knew a girl called fletcher.

Sister knows a girl called Blaine. I bet there’s an “h” and a “y” in there somewhere though. Shocking name.

Would he be in the top 10 of the all time longest kicks in the game?

Would he be in the top 10 of the all time longest kicks in the game?
Beat one of the Rocca's in a contest to kick it across the Yarra River. He had distance and accuracy.
Please sign up to Fletch thankyou card from us fans. Fletch would love this and will pass onto the club soon. Already over 1,000 signed but there are heaps more. Takes 20 seconds

https://www.change.org/p/dustin-fletcher-thankyou-fletch-from-essendon-fans-76acc6a4-9392-4cf7-bfcf-fad46abb2db4?recruiter=362236528&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=share_twitter_responsive

Signed… but what is the deal with the target of 1500 signatures on that site?

its change.org. worst site ever.

After getting their predatory emails in reply, I am forced to concur. But what is it with their target of 1500?

After getting their predatory emails in reply, I am forced to concur. But what is it with their target of 1500?

all petitions which is what the site does, has targets.

https://www.change.org/p/dustin-fletcher-thankyou-fletch-from-essendon-fans-76acc6a4-9392-4cf7-bfcf-fad46abb2db4?recruiter=362236528&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=share_twitter_responsive

Signed… but what is the deal with the target of 1500 signatures on that site?

Just some annoying thing the change.org site does

One of my great memories of him was a game at Subiaco Oval (2004?) against the Eagles, was when he had his front teeth knocked out early in the game. After a frantic search by the trainers at quarter time I think it was, to Fletches relief, they managed to find them and preserve them in milk and get some seriously quick dental work performed for him in Perth. Funnily enough though, in interviews after the incident he never seemed fazed about it at all.
Yes, round 16. I remember reading that in France at my first Boomerang World Cup…

http://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/2004/051820040716.html

Well, Fletch certainly is worth it, so hope you get the extra signatures.

BRING IN HIS SON

Well if he doesn’t want any fuss guess we have to respect that.

Fark that.

Grog squad can you lead a slow ‘fletcher’ chant during the prematch maybe, or perhaps mid way through the third.

Actually maybe 23 minute mark of the last quarter as a sign of respect for our 23 season veteran. We could all stand and give a minute of applause or something. We got to do something goddammit

Watching Geelong yesterday celebrate their leaving players with style, made me very sad that the supporters and players didn’t get the same opportunity to do that with Fletcher.

Dustin Fletcher: Mr.1%'er.
Always got the spoil in at the last minute.
Was able to play on smalls and the talls.
Incredible longevity.
Wonderful humility.

I saw him with two girls in each arm at Sante Fe nighclub in 1993 as an 18 yr old.

Good things happen to good people it seems…

Happy Fathers day guys, many of us are with our sons and daughters today and I’ll be watching the VFL-Pies double.

I was so spoilt from 1984-2001.

Good things grow when you feed it with alot of ■■■■, so lets hope we grow from these last three years and we can begin to dream of sitting at the G with our children seeing the dons fly up!

Watching Geelong yesterday celebrate their leaving players with style, made me very sad that the supporters and players didn't get the same opportunity to do that with Fletcher.
Yep. While it wasn't pretty at the time, just be glad he got selected for #400 despite injury (and kicked that moderate bomb).

Sad to finally see Fletch go.

Such a humble champion too is what makes me so proud that he represented our club.

How he has survived 23 seasons surrounded by all the reprobates, narcissists, criminals, druggie, rapist, pisshead farkwits that seems to surround professional sports these days, with a clean reputation and respect from his fellow athletes is truly a great testemant to his character.

One of my great memories of him was a game at Subiaco Oval (2004?) against the Eagles, was when he had his front teeth knocked out early in the game. After a frantic search by the trainers at quarter time I think it was, to Fletches relief, they managed to find them and preserve them in milk and get some seriously quick dental work performed for him in Perth. Funnily enough though, in interviews after the incident he never seemed fazed about it at all.

Apart from all his usual on field feats that we all became accustomed to seeing, it was his speed for a big guy and ability to play on a variety of different sized opponents that stood out for me.

Fletch will be sorely missed by us Bomber faithful.

Wish him all the very best in his future endevours.

Wish we could have seen one more game saving fist, or a torpedo goal from 65 out , or at least seeing him run on the ground with his family for one last time. This guy didnt deserve to go out not playing. Well done on an awesome career. I was 12 when you started and 34 when you finished. Unreal.

Yes, round 16. I remember reading that in France at my first Boomerang World Cup…

http://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/2004/051820040716.html

Great stuff DJR, knew that I could rely on you to confirm whether that was correct or not. Thanks. Love your work.