Dustin Fletcher, our hero hangs up his cape

No.

Blitz,

I’ve heard nothing else about this so I’m guessing it’s BS.

Sorry

Every time I see a photo of Dustin post retirement hes drinking a beer. I doubt hes putting them away so he can get match fot for 2 games that no one will watch

If he’s the goalkeeper he won’t be doing much running at all. Could probably have a few cans next to the uprights!

Please.
Thre’s no way a player that’s not in the AFL will be invited to play for Australia.
Besides, you know who’ll be goalkeeper.
The greatest ever backman there ever was. He can do anything.

I was going to say Alwyn Davey in 2013. But I think even though it was after he was delisted, the tour started while he was technically still contracted.

The AFL’s national and international talent manager Kevin Sheehan has picked his all-time best 23, in it
Dustin Fletcher is the goat goal keeper.

SHEEHAN’S ALL-TIME AUSTRALIAN TEAM

GOALKEEPER

Dustin Fletcher (Essendon)
Australia: 2005, 2006, 2010, 2014, 2015

Sheehan’s elite six are Dustin Fletcher, Andrew McLeod, Shane Crawford, Nathan Buckley, Nathan Brown and the late Jimmy Stynes, who also represented his native Ireland.

Hows that. No mention of Silvagni, , Scarlett, or even Rance… Wait for it.

1 Like

“Fletcher was the best goalkeeper as he had the most experience in not picking up a man.”

Did Dustin ever play on ireland’s big forwards?

3 Likes

Tony Modráigh I believe.

2 Likes

Fletcher was a rare talent at goal keeper. I reckon he’d be a gun at any sport he plays, in his own weird style.

The years he didn’t play international rules, the goal keepers have been so sh*t… I’ve always thought the AFL should throw a heap of money at a Victorian Premier league goal keeper, as they’d be miles better than anyone else in the AFL.

What a guy.

Fletch would have been a ripper soccer goalkeeper too. May have given away a few penalties for tripping strikers over but other than that - the height, long limbs, positioning, reading play so well, instincts, etc. and one other thing that makes a great goalkeeper - when the other players in the team know there’s someone calm and collected behind them…

1 Like