Dustin Fletcher - The goal saving dust buster!

Blitzers, We have had some truly magnificent goal kickers at the Essendon Football Club. Names such as Coleman, Llyod, Reynolds, Madden, Salmon, Lucus, a bloke called Geoff Blethyn who kicked 105 in 1972… Is it possible Dustin has saved more goals than all our greats have scored combined…Now there is a statistic i would like to know. How many goals has Dustin Fletcher saved in his career to date?

How many goal Dustin save?

What was the most critical save? The Garlett one-hand takedown?

I still remember the game against the Weagles in about 2006 when we were 1 point up and he did a massive punch in a marking contest and the ball went about 1 foot past the point post for a throw in, siren went, Bombers win. Great stuff. I think the Weagles had kicked the first 5-6 goals of the game before Scotty Lucas got a goal from a dubious free right on the quarter time siren. I was standing on the wing and had a perfect view of Fletch’s spoil and could see the relief on the whole crowd when it didn’t go through for a behind.

Its at least 8 I reckon.

That year we were the first team to beat the Saints, high ball comes in, I think a point would’ve drawn the scores but he spoils with perfection to the boundary.

I liked that one.

Define ‘a save’.

That year we were the first team to beat the Saints, high ball comes in, I think a point would've drawn the scores but he spoils with perfection to the boundary.

I liked that one.

A definitive classic of the Knights era.

Define 'a save'.

Derek Kickett v Melbourne in 1992 on the goal line in the dying moments of the game.

That year we were the first team to beat the Saints, high ball comes in, I think a point would've drawn the scores but he spoils with perfection to the boundary.

I liked that one.

A definitive classic of the Knights era.

Zaharakis might disagree with you.

I still remember the game against the Weagles in about 2006 when we were 1 point up and he did a massive punch in a marking contest and the ball went about 1 foot past the point post for a throw in, siren went, Bombers win. Great stuff. I think the Weagles had kicked the first 5-6 goals of the game before Scotty Lucas got a goal from a dubious free right on the quarter time siren. I was standing on the wing and had a perfect view of Fletch's spoil and could see the relief on the whole crowd when it didn't go through for a behind.

I was at this game, it was 2007 for sure. It was a Friday night after work and the Mrs and I were in line to buy tickets at etihad when we were all told it was sold out. Unimpressed we were walking over the footbridge and some guy had 2 “free” tickets which he sold us for $10. Can’t remember what gate we walked in but we walked the wrong way and ended up doing a whole lap of the concourse to get to our aisle, and as we got to our seats we saw the score was 30 to 6, or 36 to 6 just as the qtr time siren sounds.

So after all of the mucking around we thought “should have just gone home!” but to our surprise we ended up winning in a nail biter, I think Hird had about 34 posessions and dragged us over the line, and it was one of the greatest wins I’ve witnessed live, and I’ve seen a few.

Fletcher’s punch was controversial as if it was judged deliverate then it would have been a free for them but it was considered an attempt to rush a behind (even though that’s not what we wanted).

edit: Hird got 32 posessions, Peverill got 3 Brownlow votes with 30 posessions, Fletcher was 3rd on that list with 27 posessions, Lucas kicked 5 majors, Lloydy 3, 2 each to Campo and Laycock, and 1 from Davey/Monfires/Licha. McV with 10 tackles.

15.5.95 beat 14.10.94

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=2991

I still remember the game against the Weagles in about 2006 when we were 1 point up and he did a massive punch in a marking contest and the ball went about 1 foot past the point post for a throw in, siren went, Bombers win. Great stuff. I think the Weagles had kicked the first 5-6 goals of the game before Scotty Lucas got a goal from a dubious free right on the quarter time siren. I was standing on the wing and had a perfect view of Fletch's spoil and could see the relief on the whole crowd when it didn't go through for a behind.

I was at this game, it was 2007 for sure. It was a Friday night after work and the Mrs and I were in line to buy tickets at etihad when we were all told it was sold out. Unimpressed we were walking over the footbridge and some guy had 2 “free” tickets which he sold us for $10. Can’t remember what gate we walked in but we walked the wrong way and ended up doing a whole lap of the concourse to get to our aisle, and as we got to our seats we saw the score was 30 to 6, or 36 to 6 just as the qtr time siren sounds.

So after all of the mucking around we thought “should have just gone home!” but to our surprise we ended up winning in a nail biter, I think Hird had about 34 posessions and dragged us over the line, and it was one of the greatest wins I’ve witnessed live, and I’ve seen a few.

Fletcher’s punch was controversial as if it was judged deliverate then it would have been a free for them but it was considered an attempt to rush a behind (even though that’s not what we wanted).

edit: Hird got 32 posessions, Peverill got 3 Brownlow votes with 30 posessions, Fletcher was 3rd on that list with 27 posessions, Lucas kicked 5 majors, Lloydy 3, 2 each to Campo and Laycock, and 1 from Davey/Monfires/Licha. McV with 10 tackles.

15.5.95 beat 14.10.94

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=2991

This was a game where it looked like we would go down by 100 points in the first qtr. West Coast dominated like I had never seen dominate in that first qtr. We couldn’t touch the bal. how we were only 5-6 goals down was very lucky. Great win - it was during a 3 week period where I think we beat Sydney by a point the week earlier and the next week we beat Melbourne by 2 in Neale Daniher’s final match.

Define 'a save'.

Derek Kickett v Melbourne in 1992 on the goal line in the dieing moments of the game.

I’m David J Richardson, and I Liked this post.

(even with the spelling error)

Define 'a save'.

Derek Kickett v Melbourne in 1992 on the goal line in the dieing moments of the game.

I’m David J Richardson, and I Liked this post.

(even with the spelling error)

Does that mean you prefer tie dying? Or is it Thai dieing???

That West Coast game was unbelievable, reckon there was close to 50 thousand there that night.

That West Coast game was unbelievable, reckon there was close to 50 thousand there that night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isApUwAueKk

Yep, the best atmosphere at the footy I’ve ever experienced. Was insane.

I liked that one.

West coast game where kerr should have shot for goal… cant remember the year , precision fist out of bounds

Edit:

The game above , thats it

Congratulations Dustin Fletcher - 400 games. What an incredible achievement.

In a few weeks, Boomer Harvey will also reach 400 games.

Dustin and Boomer - this is AFL history in the making. It may well be that we do not see this fete repeated.

Congratulations Dustin Fletcher - 400 games. What an incredible achievement.

In a few weeks, Boomer Harvey will also reach 400 games.

Dustin and Boomer - this is AFL history in the making. It may well be that we do not see this fete repeated.

Most fetes are annual; events