Dustin Martin is Chopsticking with Richmond

That, and it would be nice to see both Richmond and Norf fark themselves over.

2 Likes

If youā€™re confident heā€™s destined to be out of the game soon then it sounds like its too good to waste on North, hope he goes to Hawthorn.

2 Likes

They will add 50% to their Kelly offer if they miss. They have sold the club rebuild on clearing cap space from Boomer etc, no way Pick 2 will keep the vultures away.

Ok, caught up with my Blues-mad extended family member (brother-in-law) last night. Hereā€™s the additional info he gave me as best as I can recall.

1. He has heard from about 4 sources that we are heavily into Martin.
  2. The main/key source is a friend who is close to one of the Carlton Directors (Mathieson).
  3. Both ourselves & North have offered Martin 1.2m+/year. His sources say the recent HS article saying Richmond had upped their offer may be false because the last offer to Martin was 1M, not 1.2M/year.
  4. Carlton think Martinā€™s manager, Carr, is simply trying to get Richmond to put 1.2M, but preferably 1.3M/year on the table; the feeling is Martin is most likely to stay. They also think Sydney and/or Hawthorn will try and swoop at the last minute.
  5. Both Carlton and North (again) are big into Kelly but the Blues feel he is probably leaning to staying. But if he does decide to leave, they believe they are in the box seat.
  6. Blues also believe that Casboult is gone and that Kurt Tippett will be his replacement (brother-in-law not happy with that).
11 Likes

Wouldā€™ve been handy today, couldā€™ve done the big fend off to the whole Carlton press.

I liked that mainly because of Carlton trying to get Tippet. Hope that goes well.

3 Likes

Give him whatever he wants.

We wont though however.

Weā€™ll trot out the exact same midfield as this years next season minus maybe Jobe after taking a choir boy in the draft who wonā€™t be ready for 4+ years.

You all know that this will happen.

This 100%
The club hasnā€™t got the cojones to take Martin

would so much rather Kelly than Martin

7 Likes

would you rather martin and our next two first rounders

or kelly and no 2017 or 2017 first rounders?

5 Likes

Rockliff and hopper

No first round this year

1 Like

Putting the balls on the line & offering him a contract others wonā€™t match is what needs to be done IMO. He makes us contenders in an instant but itā€™s so not an Essendon thing to do. Iā€™d love to see us have a crack anyway.

7 Likes

Either is fine by me

I donā€™t think so.

Adding Martin AND Kelly makes us contenders.

Just one gets to be a solid finals side around 5-6th.

Adding Kelly, Martin and Lever would almost give us the best 22 in the league.

However, itā€™s all hypothetical and we all know weā€™ll be left standing with our ā– ā– ā– ā–  in our hand and another player or two from GWS as theyā€™ll need to do the annual spring clean and clear some dead wood off their books.

A Richmond mate of mine reckons they have offered Dusty 1.2 over 7 years.

I feel very confident, that if we only added 1x elite mid to our ranks, say for a retiring Jobe, we would make finals next year.

Rest of the ground is fine, just gotta get more quality coals into that engine room!!

Caro said the same yesterday.
Heā€™s staying at Richmond unless you offer so much it would hamstring the club going forward.

1 Like

Have no idea what they are offering but 100% certain he is staying at Richmond. His manager has stated that they will make an announcement before the finals - clearly that means he is staying.

If there was a dominant side or two (like Geelong 2007-2012, Hawks 2011-2015 etc.) iā€™d say that getting Martin on its own isnā€™t enough to seriously contend, but at the moment thereā€™s no dominant side and itā€™s a very even competition. A player of his ilk is worth 3-4 wins a year off his own bat, and brings us into the top 4, i.e. contender status. Martin is the reason Richmond are in the top 4 right now and at least notionally contending - if he leaves, iā€™d expect Richmond to drop out of the 8 immediately. Same situation with Geelong and Dangerfield - he is the reason they went from mid-table plodders in 2015, to top 4.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing.