Dustin Martin is Chopsticking with Richmond

I don't normally agree with much from BDS however in this case I do, we do not need Martin at our club. He may be a fairly decent player but he wouldn't particularly add much to our already growing midfield of young players and his attitude and off-field behaviours would not even fit close to what we are looking for at the club.
I can understand not wanting him due to his off field stuff. But this fairly decent player made All Australian last year and has played at a pretty darn good standard for the last three years.

IIRC, in the last ten years, weā€™ve only had Heppell, Hooker and Jobe are our only players to make it into the All Australian team. Iā€™m pretty sure Dustin would slot in very nicely into our midfield. As great potential as our youngsters are, his on field performance would force these guys to earn their AFL games.

Not to mention 3rd in the Brownlow. Is an absolute gun and of the classiest players in the league.

Funny that some are more concerned about Martin's off-field antics - It's his on field antics that are important - In saying that, reckon he is only going at 80% of his capacity.

Fevola says hi.
Bootsma says hi.
Connors says hi.
Keeffe says hi.
Thomas says hi.

List keeps going.

Funny that some are more concerned about Martin's off-field antics - It's his on field antics that are important - In saying that, reckon he is only going at 80% of his capacity.

Fevola says hi.
Bootsma says hi.
Connors says hi.
Keeffe says hi.
Thomas says hi.

List keeps going.

DUCK
Half of Essendon legends wouldnā€™t get a game in the modern game due to their habits and antics.

Funny that some are more concerned about Martin's off-field antics - It's his on field antics that are important -
No, it's both. As so often happens in this forum, black/white, yes/no, either/or arguments.
I would be happy offering him 1m a year. He is an awesome player. We have a lot of spare BJ money now.. :)

An added advantage of retaining Hooker

Off field behaviour can be damaging to a club and a distraction to the players. Hawthorn might have thought that with Buddy and did not want to face the ongoing drain on off field minders.

I would be happy offering him 1m a year. He is an awesome player. We have a lot of spare BJ money now.. :)

Can I exchange panic dollars for BJ money?

As if the club doesnā€™t have enough to worry about without teaching a guy how to pay his phone bills.

Although, watching the Blitz meltdown after his first season when he puts contract talks on hold would be worth it.

An added advantage of retaining Hooker

Crisp

Not interested.

But if we did Iā€™d play him as a HFF, his possessions as a mid are useless.

We should pick him up, need to add more Maoris to our list. im sure sheedy would be behind this :slight_smile:
I often think if these boys were allowed to have a drink to release. then they might curb the need to turn to illicit drugs.

We should pick him up, need to add more Maoris to our list. im sure sheedy would be behind this :) I often think if these boys were allowed to have a drink to release. then they might curb the need to turn to illicit drugs.

They are allowed to have a drink. But booze plays merry hell with your skinfolds, and every club has really stringent fitness standards, so many if them prefer pills.

Turns the ball over too much for mine.

If his missus is being truthful on social media, he just belted a teammate recently who made a crude comment about her 13yo daughter. Apparently a younger player who left holding his jaw.

If someone makes a crude comment about a 13 year old girl, they deserve a broken jaw. Team mate or not.

Absolutely. If itā€™s true and there is damage, it will be interesting to see if the club mention anything

Absolutely. If it's true and there is damage, it will be interesting to see if the club mention anything

Once again, Iā€™ll point out that if Martin was at EFC, Caro would have this splashed all over the front page already.

Absolutely. If it's true and there is damage, it will be interesting to see if the club mention anything

Once again, Iā€™ll point out that if Martin was at EFC, Caro would have this splashed all over the front page already.

One of things that doesnā€™t need to be pointed out really. We know.

Would take Dustin Martin the football player in a heartbeat.

Dustin Martin the personā€¦ Maybe not.

I wouldnā€™t be upset if we did get him, put it that way.

Heck of a football player but doesnā€™t really fit in with our club culture we have rebuilt the last few years but then againā€¦ Where has that gotten us so far?

WTF? Our club culture has saved our football club. Any other club would have folded several times over.

Would take Dustin Martin the football player in a heartbeat.

Dustin Martin the personā€¦ Maybe not.

I wouldnā€™t be upset if we did get him, put it that way.

Heck of a football player but doesnā€™t really fit in with our club culture we have rebuilt the last few years but then againā€¦ Where has that gotten us so far?

WTF? Our club culture has saved our football club. Any other club would have folded several times over.

Borrowed from another thread:

Laycock is the reason clubs pay attention to stuff like 'leadership' and 'character' when recruiting, even though fans roll their eyes about that stuff.

Heā€™s still one of the most purely talented big men Iā€™ve seen at EFC. In terms of natural giftedness, he was miles ahead of blokes like Hille and Belly. But those guys have had far superior careers, cos Laycock just didnā€™t have it between the ears, and didnā€™t put the work in. Character and leadership - theyā€™re not just cliches recruiters reel out for fluff piece any moreā€¦

Yeah I get that Martin has performed on field far better than Laycock. Point stands though.