Dustin Martin is Chopsticking with Richmond

Have Tippa spend some time in his vicinity this week.

Do not want

3 Likes

I’m surprised North can afford to pay out $200K per year.

They can easily afford it when you, me and every other member are paying for it.
Equalisation fund my ■■■■

1 Like

No. No there’s not. There’s Fyfe and Martin.

Nobody else even comes close to that level of quality in the FA market. There’s probably some other young guns out of contract but we would have to give up a lot of valued draft picks and quality players to get them. I’m all for that too if the price is right but when all you have to give up for Fyfe and Martin is a portion of the salary cap, I favour the FA option.

1 Like

At this point I wouldn’t think Freo or Richmond will finish low enough on the ladder that they wouldn’t just match a FA bid. Unless the contract is absurd, I reckon if anyone gets either of them, they’ll be trading for them.

1 Like

So what you’re saying is I’m right and we should consider chasing Fyfe and forget the white trash.

I wouldn’t want Martin, but on either him or fyfe I hope our recruiters wait and see how Geelong go this year first, as a measuring stick as is it worth taking the risk of selling the farm for one player.

If geelong don’t win the flag, that’s another waste of a season IMO, they went out and brought the best player in the comp chasing a quick turn around and rebuild, they sold their medium to long term future for the here and now. Again if they don’t win it this year, that’s a massive fail IMO.

buying the cream of the crop very rarely seems to work out.
Carlton and Judd
sydney and Franklin and tippett (altho they still made it to a gf and deep into finals i guess)
You just have to give up way to much, in both salary cap space and picks/players to get the job done.

8 Likes

What about Boyd and the Doggies.

I understand what you mean though.

yeah it’s an odd one that cos boyd wasn’t and still isn’t a superstar, and they had to pay that on potential to get him to the dogs cos at the time they were down the bottom and coachless, so he wasn’t gonna simply move for the hell of it.

Will be interesting to see how that pans out though, esp with their ability to retain some of their players going forward.
Maybe that’s why essendon is supposedly offering more money to JJ and no doubt man other sides are throwing big bucks at underpaid dogs players atm.

I think there’s an argument to be made that if you do sell the farm, so to speak, you’re better off selling for a big rather than a small. Yes, you might get a Brownlow out of it, but IMO key forwards (and some defenders) are where it’s at with regard to big coin purchases. They’re typically the ones who win you games of footy, and typically, they’re harder to come by.

Just throw a heap of cash at him if Richmond match it don’t do anything

1 Like

Geelong traded pick 9, 28 & Dean Gore for Dangerfield. They are already miles in front & made a prelim last year plus of course the Brownlow & all the extra memberships & merchandise. The thing is that 1 trade for 1 star is never going to be enough to win a premiership but if you can add a star player to a good team who have also drafted well enough to be a contender then a star can only make them better.

Carlton didn’t win a flag with Judd but would they really have been any more successful with Kennedy, Masten & Notte? Carton failed not because of Judd but because they drafted poorly particularly with anything outside the 1st round. Sliding doors of course but imagine adding Judd having drafted Pendelbury instead of Murphy, Sellwood instead of Gibbs & Goldstein instead of Austin which in turn led to drafting Cotchin instead of Kruzer, Easton Wood instead of Browne & Hooker instead of Armfield.

6 Likes

Also Danger isnt on the $1-1.2mil, he’s on about $800k IIRC. It’s a massive win for Cats.

2 Likes

There inlies the connundrum of it all I guess.
I should add Geelong while maybe not selling the farm solely on danger, they did it for him and went out and brought other players in chasing that flag (henderson, smith stanley, the selwood brother and this year thuhey from carlton.

who knows thought as it’s just ponderings that can never be proven. Would kennedy have improved them, you could argue a case for yes and no.

All I know is geelong like I said sold their medium to long term future to chase a flag last year, this year and prolly next. the position they were in, you don’t do that and have making a prelim as the highlight IMO. They tried to buy a flag last year and it didn’t work, it’s on shaky ground atm this year too.

personally think the best way is to build up the core group of a team, then draft for what holes you need.
case in point Martin, we would have had to sell a fair bit to get him the last 2 years, even this year we would have to to.
Ironically we don’t really need his role filled as such. If he was solely a midfielder sure, but it’s still 50 50 between mid and forward, and we have the players who are building to doing that as we speak (fanta, tippa, coyler etc)

3 Likes

At current lid off levels I’m not sure how he gets into the team. We still have Langford, Gleeson, Lav and T-Bell to bring in. Maybe he could come off the bench for the twos.

2 Likes

North trying to get both Martin and Kelly smells of desperation imo.

2 Likes

I would really like Josh Kelly on our list but with the quality of kids coming through each year, I think a club is nuts to trade out its first rounders.

dusty or nate would be good if they were unhappy and had a go.home factor like dangerfield. But they don’t. It’s a pure money grab play. I know we kind of did that with Goddard, but it was hardly a multiple club million dollar bidding war.

Dylan Clarke has already gone past him, imo

1 Like