Dustin Martin is Chopsticking with Richmond

If he does something stupid, his contract would be cancelled, not paid out!

I know his family is an issue, but apart from a bad haircut and tatts, has he actually ever done anything wrong?

1 Like

If his off-field stuff was that bad and was that well known you would think that most on people the coaching staff, list management, leadership group and board would be able to make the right decision. These guys are in the inner sanctum of football and know a lot more than we ever will. Plus they no doubt value being controversy-free. If we do genuinely put our hat in the ring for Martin then Iā€™m confident it will be the right move.

Ps - but still, i would much rather Fyfe, plus another 1 or 2 of Jones and Hopper.

What, like joined the tigers? Thereā€™s your character assessment right there.

He had no choice. Probably explains the bad hair and tatts though!

Iā€™m no expert on contracts, but that would be very hard to do. Normally, pre-end-of-contract delistings have the full balance of their contract paid out at delisting time. See Lucy, Austin, and that Fark Carlton guy who got dumped after broadcasting pics of his wingwang far and wide. Hell, Brisbane ended up paying Voss for a year after he retired.

Have you been reading this thread? YES. Itā€™d been kept under cover, cos the rules are different for superstars and for clubs that the AFL doesnā€™t want to shaft. But his career could very easily take a Cousinsesque trajectory over the next few years. Remember there wasnā€™t a breath in the media about Cousins ā€˜misbehavingā€™ until it all became too difficult to hide any more. Like I said, the rules are different for superstars. Until the day when theyā€™re not any more.

1 Like

There is a very small chance he matures as he gets a bit older. Will always be a strange cat, but perhaps in the Dane Swan way? All the trouble out of the way earlyā€¦ or did the pies just get better at hiding the trouble as his career blossomed?

All that being said, who would want to cheer that bloke on?

Just more spruiking from his money grubbing agent to boost his value. Heā€™s not going anywhere. Tigers will pay overs to keep him.

3 Likes

On football ability, heā€™s a hell fkg yes from me.

On the whole package, getting him in on big coin (shouldnā€™t be on more than Joe or Z Merrett, but obviously would be), possibly trading players/picks, the off field stuff that never saw the light of day etc. I just think itā€™s far too big a risk to take.

Historically EFC grow their own for the most part, but trade in cheaper pieces to the puzzle, Iā€™m thinking Denham & Barnes type acquisitions.

I really like what weā€™ve been quietly building while the footy world was eating up the hysteria of the saga. We will see the results in the near future as the likes of Z Merrett, Fantasia, Joe D, Parish, Francis, McGrath etc become our elite core with support of the experienced core of Heppell, Hurley, Zaharakis, Colyer, Hooker etc. Iā€™d prefer not to disrupt this group by bringing in this big ticket item who isnā€™t without his off field flaws. Maybe Iā€™m conservative or Blitz type vanilla but this isnā€™t the right move for our club IMO.

23 Likes

The club are placing a lot of importance on off and on field leadership. Martin doesnā€™t fit that bill, so on that point alone, itā€™s a no from me.

(Plus what Mr Sunbury said in the above post).

1 Like

My thoughts are that Richmond or those close to Richmond have been hiding a lot of his ā€œactivitiesā€. Iā€™d imagine if he were to leave alot of these activities would be leaked.

That said, BRING HIM IN!

1 Like

In terms of the contract, if the club sees him as a risk, surly they would have a clauseā€¦bringing the club into disrepute? Iā€™m no lawyer, but it makes no sense that you would take that sort of financial risk without covering your backside.

I have read some of the thread but have not seen any actual evidence of ā€œwrong doingsā€. Cousins was different, there was a drug culture at WC, there is not that culture at the tigersā€¦perhaps it would help their culture! Besides, Woosha would know how to manage Martinā€¦he managed Cousins just fine at WC ; )

Do want someone with his on field ability but not with his off field issues.

First of all - there is a standard player contract, agreed between the AFLPA and the AFL. We can only offer him that, we donā€™t get to be creative with behaviour clauses etc.

Second of all - he LIKES his lifestyle. He LIKES having the club clean up his messes and protect him from the consequences of his actions. Even if it were possible, weā€™d have to pay him truly gigantic overs to get him to accept a contract that would require him to give up his funā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™m intrigued to know whatā€™s happening in his life. Maybe we can get him on open Mike.

1 Like

Even if we dont really want/need him, I still want to get him just to break Richmondā€™s heart

Did X say we are looking at him to send a signal out that we are looking for established players, to say we are in the market again?

I cant see the club bringing him in. For start he its not the ā€œlookā€ we want in players at our club.
Negatives: Personal compatability, Behaviour, Character, Family, Appearance, Age , Cap stress, Risk
Positives: Very very good player .

Here is an alternative players credentials:
Negatives: Cap stress,
Positives: Very very good player

Who would you go for ? .

1 Like

Depends if weā€™re looking at just free agents or more broadly.

If the latter, Jack Billings is out of contract at the Saints. We could do a lot worse than going hard at him, and he would fit our age profile perfectly.

Saints would be hard to deal with though.

2 Likes

My thoughts as well

I look forward to the next 6 months of negativity and people who donā€™t want him losing their minds when a article gets published saying we are in the chase

1 Like

I reckon Xavier just said we have an interest in Martin to throw people off the scent who we are really after.

7 Likes