Dustin Martin is Chopsticking with Richmond

Hooper thanks.

1 Like

if that’s the case I stand corrected but I bet Richmond will get very close or match any offer thrown at him this year.

As per article in HS just now. The new CBA will deliver clubs an additional $2mil in salary cap each year. It’s Jay Clark though so grain of salt.

Even if we didn’t already have spare money before seeing Watson and a host of other out the door in the next year or two that will be the thing that allows for a star on $1mil to be easily accommodated.

This is how North are able to actively pursue 2 such players, after also culling much of their experienced players on very good money.

That’s more than I expected. A lot of that will be going to Joe though!

That is a hell of a lot of money.

I guess we shall have to up our input into the equalisation fund to compensate.

That’s massive, wow

We have a few of our own to sign up first, I like Kelly from GWS

3 Likes

I’ll get him some Dr Martins

Hence he’s confirmed our interest. We discuss it. We are interested.

Lets cut to the chase.
He takes ice.

No.

MICHAEL WARNER, Herald Sun

23 minutes ago

Influential Essendon coterie figure has close links to Dustin Martin and the Bombers are interested

The man who lured dual Geelong premiership coach Mark “Bomber” Thompson back to Essendon has close links to superstar Richmond free agent Dustin Martin.
Wealthy property developer and influential Essendon coterie figure Mark Casey ​- the brother of former Tigers president Clinton Casey — is a friend and confidant of Martin.
Casey brokered the deal that saw Thompson sensationally quit as Cats coach in October 2010 and return to Essendon as a senior assistant under James Hird.

Third favourite for this year’s Brownlow Medal behind Geelong’s Patrick Dangerfield and Adelaide’s Rory Sloane, Martin has previously turned to Casey for advice in property deals.
Bombers chief executive Xavier Campbell confirmed on Wednesday his club had discussed the possibility of recruiting Martin.
“It’s very preliminary stages with Dustin … (but) he’s a genuine match winner and we’ll see what happens,” Campbell said.
Essendon officials on Thursday played down their interest in Martin but Thompson warned the Tigers not to leave themselves open to a raid.
“There are some very influential people in and around Essendon that can be very hard to say no to,” Thompson told the Herald Sun.
Thompson and Essendon list boss Adrian Dodoro pocketed $6.92 million each in March after the sale of a land development scheme at Armstrong Creek, between Torquay and Geelong.
Casey, who controlled the other 51 per cent of the project, made $14 million.
Martin, 25, is managed by music industry stalwart Ralph Carr and has put off contract talks with the Tigers until the end of the season.
Asked for an update this week Carr said: “I’ve got no comment in the terrible fright that I might be misquoted”.: (:slight_smile: good on him)
Martin will command more than $1 million a year on the open market but is considered likely to stay at Punt Rd if the price is right.
The powerful, goalkicking midfielder will earn a relatively modest $630,000 this season.
North Melbourne has also expressed interest in making a major play for Martin.
Richmond can increase its own offer thanks to a 20 per cent player pay rise set to be agreed by the AFL Players’ Association and the league.
A figure close to Martin said the star midfielder had backed himself in to produce a career season despite speculation on his future.
“He wants a five-year deal and if Richmond steps up to the plate he’s more than happy to stay,” the figure said on Thursday.
“His form has been outstanding and would warrant being paid like one of the top players in the league.
“But he just wants to play footy and is leaving all of this to Ralph.”
Martin finished third in last year’s Brownlow and won the Jack Dyer Medal as the Tigers’ best and fairest.
Richmond president Peggy O’Neal has declared she has no issue with Martin or his manager exploring free agency options.
“We have been quite clear that we are comfortable with Dustin and his management taking the time they need to make a decision on his future,” O’Neal said.
“The dealings throughout this process have been professional on both sides and the communications between the club and his manager Ralph Carr have been constructive.
“Free agency rules have changed the football landscape enormously. As a result, there is always significant speculation around player movement, particularly high-profile players.
“It is something that we have to get used to as uncomfortable as that can be.
“We have repeatedly said that we want Dustin to be a part of our club long-term and that is the outcome we are working towards. We remain confident that will be the case but, equally, we haven’t put any deadline on reaching an agreement.”
Casey is a former president of the Essendonians supporters group.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/influential-essendon-coterie-figure-has-close-links-to-dustin-martin-and-the-bombers-are-interested/news-story/1d13569c9b31bb4fb3b08a12e484feb9

Interesting. Mick Warner has an inside rail when it comes to Richmond. He’d know more than most about what is likely to happen re his future, so the fact he is reporting this suggests we have more than just a passing interest. Seems like we are well and truly in the game for his services, and by the inference there it would seem that Dusty might get some advice regarding land purchases that might help him post-footy…

Mark Casey on the march!

Forget Martin.

Go after Powell-Pepper.

4 Likes

But ol’ Gil needs to sell a million finals tickets…

2 Likes

Is that right? How does he pass his hair tests? And how do you know this exactly Mr Iceberg?

AFL would still be covering up plenty of what the stars of the game get up to.

Brand protection. Optics. It’s all the care about.

Tigers have a massive supporter base. And Dusty is one of the most exciting players in game who opposition supporters tune in to watch & read about.

$$

2 Likes

I’m more than happy for his manager to throw the club’s name around if it means Richmond or North Melbourne end up having to pay more for him.

3 Likes

Imagine getting a bloke that would certainly go #1 in the draft without having to use any pick.

Well its always close cut.