Dustin Martin is Chopsticking with Richmond

I’m not huge on the idea of going all in on a massive contract when we haven’t proved that we’re anywhere near relevant yet (by the end of the year we may well have won a final or two and changed that).

At the very least I wouldn’t be getting overcommitted to anything before the CBA is finalised because we have no real idea how much money we have or, just as importantly, who else may qualify for free agency this year or next. For example, if the AFL does bring in 4 year FA for players earning under the median wage, I’d rather not have just dumped all our free cash into Martin.

Edit: apparently Gil just said that FA change isn’t happening. So there’s that.

1 Like

That doesn’t mean there aren’t good reasons.

1 Like

Do people even know what ‘blotter’ is today?

1 Like

Hmm, probably not.

1 Like

So you’re saying we’re a chance?

I wonder what number we’ll give him?

Hmm, 5 will both be available…

It’s no secret that he’s had problems in the past. He has seemed to turn a corner but who really knows.

Personally, if we want success soon, its a risk we should take. We have the personnel at our club including the leaders, coaches and even Sheeds, who could ensure that he keeps his head screwed on. If we want success in the short-term, its a risk which will allow us to automatically jump into the top 8, whilst also building our young talent too. I have faith in Dodoro finding a diamond in the rough if we lose an early draft pick or 2.

1 Like

Wtf is sheeds gonna do for Dustin? He’s a relic for the old fans.

4 Likes

lol, I’m picturing Sheeds as one of Dusty’s entourage.

3 Likes

Yes there is risk.

just like with O’Meara albeit of a different kind.

At the same time, if he was the player that allowed this group to win themselves a flag, it would probably be worth it.

I think if the Tigers offer him a number that starts with a 1 he will re sign there.

2 Likes

I think theres a risk for Dusty too, if he stays at the tigers they could be rebuilding again in the near future. And be another Richmond champion whose career has been wasted.

No saying he should go to the bombers though.
If he is after $$$ and to get out of the media maybe he should head up to sydney, or to Fremantle and party with Bennell. :slight_smile:

He might have just been saying it flush someone else out like Vickery…oh hang on a sec.

1 Like

Surely if we’re talking $1m a year and in discussions with a player surely Kelly is the one to chase if there is a chance of him leaving.

3 Likes

All depends on the pounds, shillings and pence they’re prepared to pay.

2 Likes

Id guess we are driving up the price on Dusty for everybody and are not interested, its easy to do with some non committal sly comments like what XC said. There is going to be an extra 2mill in every bodies cap at the years end with the new CBA and we are going to see some pretty hefty inflation across the player signings this year.

Richmond have to pony up big time on Martin that puts them out of the race for much else. Essentially their list is fixed, I think he is going to go for 1.3ish with the extra cap. Particularly with a fair chunk of players out of contract, they just bought Prestia and Caddy as well. I can’t see them going to Schache as well, maybe Ried instead as he would be cheaper.

Saints are apparently after Fyfe, Martin and to a lesser extent Kelly, they have sold their fans on drafting and landing a big fish with some extra cash they have been saving (which is now). However with the rape of Hawks last year they may hit the draft again before splurging, depends on how far down the ladder they are, finals the fans could be ok, no finals they may be screaming for progress.

Fyfe aint going anywhere, Freo have improved, he is the captain, and they have an extra bunch of cash to splash at him, 1.3 to 1.5 mill a year.

Roos are after Kelly big time and I think with some inflation they will offer more, I feel for the kid because he is going to have to choose $ over success going to a downward spiralling club. Id think the are into Schache too, but can they afford both.

There was some article in the sun i couldn’t access today via twitter about Dusty links to Essendon. Has anyone got that they can share?

Scroll up and I think the article you are talking about is up there.

1 Like

If people don’t want martin because of character issues, then ask themselves where drafting good blokes has got us lately? We have been irrelevant for over 10 years (well apart from the drug thingo).

Martin instantaneously transforms our midfield. We are ■■■■ at clearances … absolutely terrible. And once Watson goes our hopes are pinned on someone who is perennially injured. and then some kids … maybe?

Not only is Dusty a contested ball clearance guy. He also kicks goals. Sign him the hell up right now!

I couldn’t care less he is dumb as dogshit … hire Choco if that’s what it takes. Hire someone to follow him around 24 hours a day if thats what it takes.

Getting Martin at the peak of his powers is absolutely something we must exhaust every option to try. I love blokes like Fyfe and Kelly … but they are pipe dreams. Dusty looks to be gettable … and all it takes is salary. It’s a no brainer to me, and anyone who thinks otherwise I seriously question their sanity.

1 Like

If we are paying $1M+ you’d think anyone from any club would be available. Just say they need to see their family in Brisbane and that Essendon was the club they chose cause of the proximity to the airport.