Dustin Martin is Chopsticking with Richmond

Can’t we just perma ban both of them (Deckham and chpsticks) and move on?

2 Likes

I feel I was defending a point that i made. Someone disagreed, I defended.

Not sure what I’ve done to deserve banning. But whatever.

I think at a certain point the amount of income ceases to be the primary consideration.
That might be for any of one of many reasons, but the difference between 1.0 or 1.1M pa when you’re paying half the difference in tax anyway might not be the deal breaker that going from 50k to 80k might be.

You might really believe in the work you’re doing at a new job.
You might believe in the direction and values that the CEO or another leader has.
Or you might, I mean…you might, just be trying to get away from a colleague who measures his masculinity by the number on his bank balance.

3 Likes

So Joe on 800k and Zerrett on 450k won’t mind Dusty getting 1.2 mill?

or is it rude i’m disagreeing with you?

Nah, that’s not rude.
It’s kind of weird that you can’t tell the difference.

Honestly, I don’t know.
Maybe they’ll understand that it costs more to bring players in.
Maybe they already know they themselves could get a lot more money elsewhere if they really wanted to leave.
Maybe Zerrett is going to renegotiate his contract, and maybe the club will be just fine with that.

So many ponderables.

Yes there is but enough of that. In all sports there are guys on big money and some on much less, these players seem to cope just fine. You do realise that every AFL side would have several guys on $750k plus whilst plenty of others playing for half that or less. They don’t complain and they just get on with their job and work hard. As others are said the Dogs players don’t seem too fussed that Boyd came in on big $

1 Like

Happens all the time. Sport isn’t a communist regime. It’s just a fact of life that some will get more than others

Just glad I have you, to point out when I’m being rude.

Well, It would bother me, I think it would bother most and I think it would be a big mistake for EFC to do it.

1 Like

I’ll make this my last comment on the subject ( I can hear people applauding )

For every time that high paid recruits have not affected group harmony I would suggest that there are many that have.

Oook then

It really depends on the situation doesn’t it.

I hardly think any EFC player is going to be upset when you consider this

Watson is on $800k and likely to retire, he is our key inside mid. If Martin comes in at 25yrs old who can perform at a higher level than Watson on $1mil, when the CBA agreement is giving a 20% increase to the salary cap anyway, it wont be a concern at all to other players.

Especially in the knowledge that Martin can help this group achieve ultimate success which is what they all crave.

As for Zac Merrett, if his next contract gets him up to $600-700k I doubt he’ll be crying into his cereal each morning over Dusty getting paid more. He will be getting paid plenty to do what he loves at a club he very happy to be at, and especially won’t care if we win some flags over next 5yrs. Like any role, if you get headhunted from elsewhere you get paid overs. That’s life. That’s also free agency, where the value on being able to bring in a star without coughing up draft picks or vital players is huge.

It’s a very different scenario to Tyrone Vickery coming across on $500k, when Breust / Gunston etc have been getting paid that and done so to ensure group success.

And the Boyd situation was straight out ridiculous as an unproven young kpf. The $$ and length of term stupidity by Dogs. Even though in hindsight it’s already paid off, and in 5yrs time he may even be worth what he signed up for.

Players might not care too much about who’s getting payed most.

But I can tell you, their managers care… a lot. Especially when they’re bringing blokes in from other clubs at $1 mill a season. Especially when the club won’t come to the party, and they don’t respect elite players who are loyal to the club.

If the player is happy the manager can GAGF, or work harder on securing other side sponsorship deals for their client.

Zac will be very well rewarded by EFC throughout his career. His next contract will be a massive jump on his current that’s for sure.

We will prob be able to get away with paying JD $850k as he is happy and loves club. Whereas he could write his own cheque at another club.

I’d give Joe the longer contract on less. 850k a year for 7,8 or 9 years or something. It would be hard for him to pass that kind of longevity.

3 Likes

How much is Jobe on this year? With him, Goddard and Stants retiring in the next few I’d say a bit of cash is freed up.

Couldn’t tell think of a worst player to bring to the club. No thank you.

Now imagine him doing all this, for us.

WANT

Man who’d want him.

BIG FISH

BRING HIM IN!!!